Author Topic: "The 70s were a groovy time for TV"  (Read 855 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
"The 70s were a groovy time for TV"
« on: March 10, 2009, 10:38:49 PM »
An article about the "groovy" TV of the '70s mentions DS.  Check out: Memories of Analog TV: The 70s

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: "The 70s were a groovy time for TV"
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 12:14:46 AM »
MB, thank you.

That was the most interesting article I've read in a very long time.

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:16:05 AM »
Nobody said "groovy" in the 70s.  In fact, not that many people even said it in the mid-60s.   It was one of those things that got old very fast, like Nehru jackets.

The 70s were the high point for television though, especially the early 70s.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 07:36:17 AM »
Well, you were 111-121 years old in the 70's, nobody your age was sayin' groovy, Magnus.  [snow_wink]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 03:32:31 PM »
I'll have to check out that article, but I'm more of a fan of Sixties TV.  Besides DS (which, even though it lasted into 1971, was, to my own mind, very much firmly in the zeitgeist of the Sixties), the shows I've been watching in the past year have included Boris Karloff's Thriller, The Wild Wild West, T.H.E. Cat, The Addams Family, and recently a couple of episodes of 77 Sunset Strip (I think technically those were from '59, as was another series I've been enjoying--Yancy Derringer).

I associate the early Seventies with the rise of Norman Lear via the hugely popular All in the Family (which I couldn't stand), and Good Times and Maude (both of which I found very amusing).  I recall endless newspaper and magazine articles of the day applauding the way Lear pushed a new level of frankness onto the tube with the subject matter and writing style of his shows.

There was nothing remotely "groovy" about this new trend, or about the other big hits of the Seventies (even Sonny & Cher's show was more glam than groovy) so it sounds like a case of someone who wasn't around blurring their decades.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »
OT--

I'd really like to see T.H.E. Cat again!  I barely remember it except that I remember it was good, my sister obsessed on it, and any show featuring a thief has to be good.   "It Takes a Thief" is definitely a favorite of mine.  I love it when the very premise of a show subverts conventional ideas of right and wrong.  The Addams Family-- I want to find a fandom for it.   Wild Wild West, big favorite too.

Dom-- Yes, I always shook my wolf's head cane at all the young whippersnappers with those damn love beads and all the hair, you know in my day... well, the less said about my day and when it was, the better....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor