Author Topic: eBay sellers  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: eBay sellers
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2002, 07:53:42 AM »
1)  View Master reel set--mint condition;

2)  Original copy of Sam Hall's TV Guide article: "In Case You're Curious. . ."

3)  Original copy of TV Guide article: "Where Have All The Werewolves Gone?"

1) 1,699

2) 1,699

3) 1,699

See if that don't just floor ya.

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

(Note all of the above prices are in Japanese Yen. Conversion rates available upon request.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2002, 08:12:55 AM »
1)  View Master reel set--mint condition;

These used to sell for $75-$150, and sometimes even more! But the last time I noticed a set on eBay - it sold for only $20!!

2)  Original copy of Sam Hall's TV Guide article: "In Case You're Curious. . ."

3)  Original copy of TV Guide article: "Where Have All The Werewolves Gone?"

LET'S HEAR ALL THOSE HIGH BIDS!! (LOL).

Not from me on these two - I already own them. [wink2] And the thing about #2 is that it's probably been devalued because so many people have scanned and put it up on their Web sites. The photo of Frid from hoDS isn't even that rare anymore. But I can't honestly say that I've seen #3 anywhere on the Web, so it would probably fetch a better price. [winkb]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2002, 08:14:04 AM »
That's be about $16.99 each. Basically if you just knock the decimal over two places in the yen, you get the US currency price. ie: 1699 yen = 16.99

For UK pounds, I usually just double the US amount. It's a bit over, but acceptable.

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2002, 08:40:31 AM »
Would ya list the dates on those TV Guides, please?

Thanky,
Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2002, 10:01:00 AM »
Had to laugh at Mark's yen comment.  :D  It certainly couldn't be US dollars!!!  Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2002, 04:17:46 PM »
My definition of a collectable is this: A collectable is a concrete object that has obtained an abstract value.That value will differ, sometimes GREATLY, from person to person.

I've known this seller for years, dating back to the now prehistoric days of trading via the Dark Shadows classifieds.(early to mid 1990's) I have always known this dealer/collector be a fair and honest person. Obviously he is not in tune with the current market for his collectables. It could be that he really doesn't want to part with the items, and that is why he has placed such high opening bids on them. However, whatever his reasons are for starting his auctions out at the prices he is, his character should not be in question. As someone else on this board pointed out, a collectable is only worth what someone is willing to give you for it.  Nobody is holding a gun to any of our heads and telling us we have to bid.  ;D Perhaps when he gets tired of paying listing fees for items that are not selling he will get the hint his prices are to high.

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2002, 04:23:50 AM »
However, whatever his reasons are for starting his auctions out at the prices he is, his character should not be in question.

I agree, Bob, I appreciate your input, and I don't think anyone intended to cast aspersions on this person's character.  I reread the messages, and posters are saying that fans may be taken advantage of because they're misled by the asking prices, but not that the seller has set out to mislead anyone.  I realize that sounds like I'm splitting hairs, but I think Brian was giving his opinion about the person's asking prices, out of concern for the rest of us, and I sincerely hope no one came away with the impression that anyone here has called the seller dishonest or unfair.  Yet it's probably best that we not continue to make fun of the prices nor speculate about the person's reasons since it sets a bad precedent about discussing other fans, particularly since this person is not present on the forums to defend or explain his choices.  And PLEASE, if there's something in this topic or any other that troubles someone reading the forum, by all means continue to call it to my attention cuz I'm the first to admit that I make mistakes and could be completely misinterpreting something I've read.

The purpose of the guideline about fingerpointing was due to a practice we'd seen online in which fans take fights from one forum onto another one by describing or even copying exchanges, and at its worst extreme by posting private correspondence.  What this tends to do is fuel disagreements by involving more people in them, whereas our policy here has always been the opposite-- we prefer that personal disagreements between individuals be taken off the board rather than brought onto it.  For this reason, and with the poster's permission, there's been some slight editing in this topic regarding an off-board discussion, and other posters may find that (only) the quotes within their messages have been changed to reflect these edits.

Thanks!

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2002, 07:31:10 AM »

that sounds like I'm splitting hairs, !

Again with the hair thing!  [or is that HARE thing in your case, midnite? ;D]

..but as for the ebay thing - I have spent much of my lunch money for years there [mostly beatle stuff, but some DS] and it is always buyer beware - and only pay what ya think it is worth TO YOU!  A seller or dealer will always try to get maximum value for any product [thus the auction], and the buyers that pay more than the going rates for any item do so at their own 'penalty'.  I think both Brian and Bob'us are helping to cause buyers to become more educated and aware customers.  Most collectors follow the rule 'collect it because ya love it', [not as an investment], but every collector needs to be aware of both the actual, personal value and the market value or going rate of an item.  The hardest thing to do is walk away from something I REALLY WANT because a dealer has it over priced, but that walk away factor can be satisfying, too. 8)

[by the way, I am actively looking for original Beatle sunglasses right now, and willing to pay 'market value' for them.]

cheers,
Ringo
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2002, 07:26:29 PM »
Would ya list the dates on those TV Guides, please?

Sorry, Ringo, I don't have the TV Guides--only the articles that I cut out of the Guides--so I don't have the dates.  I recall (and this is going back through 30 years of memories) that the Sam Hall article was sometime late in the year 1971--maybe October.  The other one was sometime in early summer, I think.  Of course, after 30 years, I could be all wrong! ?!?

Brian

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2002, 01:20:59 AM »
I recall (and this is going back through 30 years of memories) that the Sam Hall article was sometime late in the year 1971--maybe October.  The other one was sometime in early summer, I think.  Of course, after 30 years, I could be all wrong! ?!?

The Hall article was in the October 9, 1971 issue.  I thought the "Werewolves" article was sometime in April, but maybe I'm thinking of "When Soap Opera Characters Die." I guess one of these days when I'm scanning articles for the archive I'll have to look it up. ;)

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2002, 01:44:36 AM »

..but as for the ebay thing - I have spent much of my lunch money for years there [mostly beatle stuff, but some DS] and it is always buyer beware - and only pay what ya think it is worth TO YOU!

Very well put Ringo.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I know for me there have been times where I get caught up in the whole auction thing and have bid higher on an object then I would have paid for it had I been in the presense of the person selling it with real moola in my hand. :)

A seller or dealer will always try to get maximum value for any product [thus the auction], and the buyers that pay more than the going rates for any item do so at their own 'penalty'.  I think both Brian and Bob'us are helping to cause buyers to become more educated and aware customers.  Most collectors follow the rule 'collect it because ya love it', [not as an investment], but every collector needs to be aware of both the actual, personal value and the market value or going rate of an item.  

Again, I agree with you whole heartedly Ringo. I think Brian making others aware that "in his opinion" a collectable or collectables are priced to high, is not out of bounds. I agree with him 110% that this particular sellers prices are way out of wack in the current DS collectables marketplace.

Having been involved in collecting/dealing Dark Shadows items for the past 12 years, and having had dealers tables at 7 of the 12 Dark Shadows Festivals I've attended, I have often been approached by fellow collectors/dealers and asked my opinion on prices for various collectables that they were considering purchasing/selling. It is very difficult to place a value on an item. There are so many variables that go in to arriving at what is a reasonable value for any item. Let me give you guys an example;
There was a time in the mid 1980s when a photo copy of Ode to Angelique sheet music sold at a festival auction for over $100.00!! Needless to say, it was, at that time, a very scarce piece. Sometime in the mid 1990s on one of my extensive collectibles searches I discovered several copies of original Ode to Angelique sheet music. I had no problem selling them for $90.00 per piece of sheet music. As a matter of fact, the die hard collectors were tripping over one another to obtain their copies. You may ask: How did I come to decide on a selling price of $90.00? Good question....... I took in to account the ludicrous price the photo copy had sold for at auction in the 80's. I also considered the time and effort I had put in to locating the sheet music,(Prior to the internet, I spent countless hours writing letters, making phone calls, and travelling to shows or antique stores in search of memorabilia) as well as the demand there was for it by avid collectors.

Eventually the demand for the Ode to Angelique sheet music diminished and I discounted the remaining pieces I had, much like a store would do with overstocked merchandise. Today, I have seen that same sheet music that I sold for $90.00 only 7-8 years ago sells on eBAY for $15.00-$20.00.  The same can be said of the records. In the early to mid 90's some of the more obscure 45 rpm records (Ode to Angelique, I'm Bats About You, Josette's Music Box, The Barnabas Theme) sold for in upwards of $200.00-$275.00.....EACH!! Now, they go for about a fourth of that.  In 1995 I  traded a MINT Ode to Angelique 45 rpm record and $100.00 cash for my original Josette's Music Box with a reproduction lid. In today's marketplace that would not happen. A dealer would laugh at me if I approached him with this offer, but at that time it was an acceptable trade. The point I'm trying to make is that the marketplace for any collectables changes. It can go up or down, and as I mentioned above, several variables will weigh in which way it goes. Another good example is the 1996 reproduction MPI Josette's Music box. It initially sold for $40.00, and at one point MPI couldn't give the things away. I remember at the 1997 NY fest MPI had a SURPLUS of the music boxes and no one seemed to be buying them. In todays collectables market that same music box sells for a minimum of $100.00,(normally $150.00-$200.00 on eBAY) and one sold at this years festival auction for much more then that!! Why did the reproduction sell so poorly at first, and what caused it to have this sudden attraction with collectors? Here are a couple variables, that in my opinion had an effect on the demand for this item. The airing of Dark Shadows on the Sci Fi channel has attracted a whole new audience, both young and old, who had never seen Dark Shadows before. This is evident by the amount of new people attending festivals the past few years. This past weekend when Kathryn Leigh Scott asked those who were attending a festival for their first time to raise their hands, I believe 60-70% of those in attendance raised their hands. Many of those people are presently watching the series for the very first time. When the Barnabas/Josette storyline aired, I'm sure many of those "newbies" became interested in acquiring a Josette's Music Box. Much the same as the newbies a few years back when that particular story arc also aired. Since those of us who have been involved in fandom through the 80's & 90's had for the most part gobbled up all the original 1970 Josette Music Boxes,what does that leave for an alternative? That's right, the 1996 M.P.I. reproduction. The new fans of the series demand and those 1996 M.P.I. music boxes ended up being the supply ;)  

In 1996 I was approached by the editors of the toy magazine "The Toy Shop", and asked to write an article pricing Dark Shadows memorabila. At the time I considered this an awesome responsibility, as The Toy Shop is a very popular magazine with dealers/collectors, and is distributed world wide. My words would be used as a guideline for many collectors in search of Dark Shadows memorabila. I did extensive research on the subject before writing the article and I believe I was (at least at that time) :) in tune with the market for Dark Shadows collectables.  

I wish I had the capabilities to scan and post the two page article with photos (it occupied the center of the magazine :)) I wrote, but alas I don't.  Perhaps I can send a copy to the Mysterious Benefactor and he/she/(it  ;)) could scan it and put it on the board.

I'm not sure if the magazine is archived anywhere, but in the event it is, here is the issue number my article appeared in.
Issue # 136 Vol. 9 No. 23 dated Nov. 8th, 1996

Ok, somehow I went off subject a bit, but hopefully some of this information will help collectors in the future:)

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2002, 05:46:13 AM »
A follow up to my previous post about the variables of supply and demand. Check out this auction ending this evening for a 1996 MPI Music Box that many fans passed on initally for the $40.00 price. ;D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1546402153

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2002, 06:53:56 AM »
Check out this auction ending this evening for a 1996 MPI Music Box that many fans passed on initally for the $40.00 price. ;D

Well, IMO they weren't even worth the $44.48 that MPI originally charged for them. But apparently the people bidding have WAY TOO MUCH disposable income on their hands - much to the delight of the seller, I'm sure! [lghy]

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2002, 08:24:56 AM »
A follow up to my previous post about the variables of supply and demand. Check out this auction ending this evening for a 1996 MPI Music Box that many fans passed on initally for the $40.00 price. ;D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1546402153

Isn't that wild?

I recently (last December) purchased a 1996 MPI Josette's Music Box from a girl who's mom was "cleaning out her closet".
It was autographed by TLATKLS. Purchase price? $15. and I threw in an extra $5 for shipping. Yes, total = $20. And it is in excellent shape.  :D

I was chatting with another collector when the DS Memoralbilia Auction was going on Saturday. One of these 1996 MPI music boxes went for around $335 (similar to the ebay auction Bob noted). This fellow next to me said that he had two 1996 MPI music boxes at home, never removed from the original box.

My comment to him?
"You'll never go hungry"  ;D
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967