Author Topic: DS FEST 2002 WEBSITE!  (Read 5201 times)

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
Re: DS FEST 2002 WEBSITE!
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2002, 12:20:19 AM »
*SIGH* One day I hope to attend. I'm just grateful for this wonderful website where I can at least share in the experience vicariously!

So next year's fest will be held in NYC? Does it rotate every year between CA and NY? It seems more likely I'd be able to go if it were in NYC since that's closer.

Thanks again for the great photos!

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2002, 07:28:59 AM »
It's great seeing the picture of Dennis Patrick.  Jason McGuire is one of my favorite characters.  I hope he'll still be around when I finally make it to a con.
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline jthomas_123

• Junior Poster
  • I love Maggie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2002, 08:09:51 AM »
Was Kurt Webber on the show, why did he come up and call KLS a liar.

btw, Bj I love your avatar ;D

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2002, 08:48:30 AM »
*SIGH* One day I hope to attend. I'm just grateful for this wonderful website where I can at least share in the experience vicariously!

I feel your pain *pat pat* I hope, hope, hope, hope I can attend one some day....*xes fingers* Thank you for the pictures, Joe.....that's really quite scary about the guy coming in on stage and calling KLS a liar....  :o  :-/ Anyway, have any more pictures? LOL ^_^

~Daph
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

The Late Mrs. Collins

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2002, 12:47:43 PM »
KLS said that Kurt Webber had been to many fests and had always been very nice.  I think he has Down's Syndrome.  I have no idea why he had that outburst.  I never heard any follow-up.  KLS tried to go along with him and offered him the microphone--that's when he went on stage.  I did think someone should have come to her aid sooner.  She sort of circled the podium cautiously while the guy ranted.  It was an uneasy moment to be sure, but it was only one small moment out of the whole weekend.

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2002, 06:36:39 PM »
I was there on Friday and Saturday, and in Norwalk in Ocotber of 2000 when this same thing happened, and share everyone's concerns about the safety issue.

Still, (and I am sorry if I am coming off like sanctimonious NE Purtan here), I am very uncomfortable with the fan in questions real name being on here, and his photo accompanying it.  The deragotry terms used are pretty offensive too.

Anyone who knows me knows full well that I am probably the most unPC person alive, (I could tell the shopping in a blizzard story to prove that) but some things really are best kept to private conversations.

I also would like to point out that while I agree that what happened was unfortunate, I think any finger pointing should be done in the direction of Kurt's companion, who should have been there with him, and not off doing whatever it is he does while this stuff goes on.

Nancy
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2002, 07:34:38 PM »
Still, (and I am sorry if I am coming off like sanctimonious NE Purtan here), I am very uncomfortable with the fan in questions real name being on here, and his photo accompanying it.  The deragotry terms used are pretty offensive too.

(snip)  but some things really are best kept to private conversations.

I also would like to point out that while I agree that what happened was unfortunate, I think any finger pointing should be done in the direction of Kurt's companion, who should have been there with him, and not off doing whatever it is he does while this stuff goes on.

Nancy

Nancy, I can't agree with you more. You are absolutely right. I saw these mishaps, and witnessed first hand the Selby incident too (with the same person).

I hope there hasn't been any legal lines crossed with the public posting of his name or pictures, without his (or guardian's) permission.

Not only was it the responsibility of his companion to "keep an eye" on him (he was....I watched...and it wasn't effective), but it was up to the DSFest organizers and their to see that this did not happen again.

I sincerely hope there is never "a next time this happens".
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2002, 08:31:07 PM »
*SIGH*

So next year's fest will be held in NYC? Does it rotate every year between CA and NY? It seems more likely I'd be able to go if it were in NYC since that's closer.

Thanks again for the great photos!

I hear you Chris_2.  I live so close to the city so Im hoping that it will be held there next year.  :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2002, 09:06:59 PM »

Yes, the Fest has been rotating between coasts for the past several years, though not necessarily in California as it was in Las Vegas in 1998.  For the next one, to be held August 8-10 in 2003, an "extra special, first-time ever surprise" has been promised.

Karen_#2, I can't imagine that any legal lines have been crossed regarding the online posting of the fan's name on various sites as it was given out from the podium, though discretion is of course an entirely different thing and therefore if the guardian were to ask that it be removed from here, MB and I would certainly comply.

And K#2, I am SO disappointed we didn't get to meet!!!

FABULOUS photos of the actors, Joe!

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2002, 11:42:19 PM »

Karen_#2, I can't imagine that any legal lines have been crossed regarding the online posting of the fan's name on various sites as it was given out from the podium, though discretion is of course an entirely different thing and therefore if the guardian were to ask that it be removed from here, MB and I would certainly comply.

And K#2, I am SO disappointed we didn't get to meet!!!

FABULOUS photos of the actors, Joe!

Thats good. Like I said, I wasn't there, so if his name were mentioned publicly, then all is fair game. I'd hate to see anyone get into more trouble  ;). The photos were really nice too (and I might add David Selby was  looking rather *especially* handsome that day!  :-* )

Yes Midnite! I'm so sorry we didn't connect! I was helping out one of the dealers sell books from time to time, and probably *most* of the time burning a giant hole in my checkbook "supporting" those dealers, LOL! Perhaps if I got out of of the dealers room and into the main rooms more often, we'd certainly meet! Next time for sure!  ;)
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2002, 01:42:00 AM »

I hear you Chris_2.  I live so close to the city so Im hoping that it will be held there next year.  :)

Let's definitely shoot for 2003 then! (Keeping my fingers crossed)

Chris_2 (changed my posting name to Dr. Eric Lang)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2002, 08:37:02 AM »
There's nothing illegal about discussing these events.

This was a public event, open to the general public in front of thousands of people. Behavior at a public event is open to discussion, much as running on the field of the superbowl or streaking the oscars.

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2002, 08:45:13 AM »
There's nothing illegal about discussing these events.

I was implying about posting photos without permission, not discussion. But I digress, matter solved  ;)

btw Darren, great job on your hard work and search for the restoration process of NODS! A toast to you! [beer]

Karen #2

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2002, 09:12:08 AM »
Thanks, that's very sweet and much appreciated. ;D

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2002, 10:15:42 PM »
website has been updated with photos from all 3 days. i also added a fan photo page. if u had a photo taken with a D.S. star at the festival, e-mail it to me and i will add it. webtv cant decode zip files. they must be jpegs or already decoded in the e-mail.
JTVIDEO@WEBTV.NET
http://community.webtv.net/jttvx/DARKSHADOWS2002