Author Topic: OT: Long Live Rock - John Entwistle  (Read 1242 times)

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
OT: Long Live Rock - John Entwistle
« on: June 28, 2002, 11:24:34 PM »
http://www.mindspring.com/~winston9/JohnEntwistle

Dear Friends,

I am deeply saddened by the loss of one of music's greatest.  As a bass player, I considered him a personal inspiration, and a nice man, as well.  I was lucky enough to see him play many times over the years, first in 1971 with The Who and more than a handfull of their shows since, quite a few times with Ringo's AllStarrs, and several times in solo shows. I have put up a few of my 'greatest hits' at the addy above, as a modest tribute.  Check them out, grab'em if you like, remember The Ox.  Thank you, John, for the Thunder - you will be a much missed man.

Salute.
Rick

We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
Re: OT: Long Live Rock - John Entwistle
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2002, 12:22:36 AM »
Mercy, that was the first I'd heard that John Entwhistle had died. I was always very keen on his contributions to The Who, one of my all-time favorite rock bands. I also liked Too Late the Hero very much. That's very sad news. Thanks for posting it, Ringo.

[shadow=maroon,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Connie

Re: Long Live Rock - John Entwistle
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2002, 06:31:48 AM »
Rick...

Yes - Entwistle's passing is quite a shock.  (A rather depressing wake-up call).  You're lucky to have had the opportunity to see the Who so many times!  I was privileged only once - waaaaaay back around 1967.  Remember Murray The K??  He used to put on shows in the city and he'd present a bunch of different acts at various theaters.  The best one I ever attended was a concert with The Who and Cream on the same bill (!!).
Oh God -- I'll never forget The Who's set.  They closed the show (naturally).  I mean, who could follow THAT?
"Substitute" was (and still is) my favorite Who song and seeing them do it was like a dream come true.
I sat there with my mouth wide open as they destroyed every piece of equipment on stage -- knocking amps over, smashing guitars to smitherines, drums rolling all over the stage!!!!    :o
It was greatest thing I'd ever seen!  LOL  (Eh - what can I say?  I was like, 13 or something)
Ah....The Kids Are Alright, My Generation.....those were the days.

One of the rare bands - so many albums that are classic masterpieces.  On any given day, you can't turn on the radio without hearing something from "Who's Next".

Where does the time go?    :'(

-Connie

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2002, 07:25:06 AM »
Ringo, that is such sad news. I had heard it on the news a couple of nights ago and was shocked and also deeply saddened by it. The Who had such great songs and John will missed by everyone.  Thanks for posting the link Ringo, I enjoyed all the pictures and thought that was a nice tribute to John.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline AllenCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2002, 03:15:33 AM »
It was very sad to hear of his passing. I saw them for the first time in '82 with Kenny Jones on drums, (very cool for me since I was a Small Faces fan, but Keith was incredible). I have always been impressed with the smooth style Entwistle had.  

Also we musnt forget there was a Granny Entwistle in the Barnabas Collins by Dan Ross. (FWIW)

B
Do you ever feel like lifes a tuxedo and your the pair of brown shoes? - George Gobel

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2002, 05:28:31 PM »
Hello, Ringo i agree THE WHO were one the
best bands around!!!  My sister liked them too!!
I'm really saddened as well by John's pasing!
He will be missed greatly!   What a wonderful
human being!           Love Anne :'( :'( :'(
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow