Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0731  (Read 1505 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0731
« on: February 17, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0731
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 03:13:41 AM »
Laura should have been prepared for Quentin's wonder about her once she knew he was back at Collinwood. It seemed like she came up with he dreamed the whole thing on the spur of the moment.  It seems a better story would involve some kind of trickery.   Laura apparently never had any feelings for Quentin as she describes him as concieted and vile as ever.  Laura's look when Judith's name was mentioned was very telling.  Tim's seems to be a person who is weary and defeated after the years of being under Trask's thumb.  I'm beginning to feel some sympathy for Rachel now that she is less Nancy Drewish and knowing what it must have been like in Trask's for her growing up.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:56 AM »
I wish we'd been told more about the events that led to Quentin spying for the Egyptian police and Laura being "sacrificed on a burning pyre in Alexandria" [spoiler]besides it involving self-preservation.[/spoiler] But he sure has a lot of nerve referring to her as a fallen woman!

I also wish we had more scenes between Laura and Edward.

Laura to Quentin:  "I'm the same warm-blooded woman I always was."
GREAT quote.  Though having him test it out on her glove was a tad ridiculous.

Edward, after finding Laura and Quentin together:  "Did you two smell each other out, or was it all prearranged?"
Did he REALLY say that??!!

Laura apparently never had any feelings for Quentin as she describes him as concieted and vile as ever.

By having feelings for him, I'm guessing you meant love, but how about lust?  When you're lusting after someone as hot as Quentin, you might overlook faults like conceit.  And vileness.  It's complicated.  ;)

Poor Edward.  His son prefers Quentin.  His wife dumped him for Quentin.  His grandfather favored Quentin.  His grandmother [presumably] chose Judith over Edward to be her beneficiary.  The will forces him to live under the same roof as Quentin, and Laura has blackmailed him into letting her stay.  No wonder he's so grumpy.

I've read fan speculation that Gregory killed Simon Bryar (sp?) and blamed Tim for it, but I just don't see evidence of this.  Tim DID admit to knocking the man unconscious.  But either way, if Gregory really had proof of Tim's guilt, how would be explain withholding it from the police?

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 02:20:12 AM »
I wish we'd been told more about the events that led to Quentin spying for the Egyptian police and Laura being "sacrificed on a burning pyre in Alexandria" [spoiler]besides it involving self-preservation.[/spoiler] But he sure has a lot of nerve referring to her as a fallen woman!

Yeah there would seem to be some very interesting stories in there. Even in fanfiction I don't think I've seen more than one or two stories covering Quentin's time in Egypt.

As to the fallen woman line, ain't the Victorian double standard grand?  [snow_smileydevil]

Nice gobsmacked expression on Quentin when he catches sight of Laura for the first time.  And he of all people should remember that dead isn't forever.....

LOL he's like a scared little boy "I don't want to touch you!"

And drunk Quentin in the cottage, getting bombed and trying to invoke Angelique to haul his ass out of its self inflicted sling.  Selby does do a great drunk.  He always plays drunk, not like a man who is pretending to be drunk, but like a man who is drunk and is trying like mad to act sober.  (A friend with Broadway experience always told me to look for that as the definition of playing drunk properly.)

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:57:26 AM »
This was the first appearance of Timothy Shaw. [milestone] Don Briscoe looked very handsome with those sideburns and his neatly combed hair.  [luv]

When Quentin touched Laura's gloved hand, I was thinking that he should have had her take the glove off.  He wasn't really touching her hand. It was intriguing to watch him being frightened of her. He actually was pretty brave to touch her, after watching her burn to death. I probably would have screamed and run away! [yikes]

Yes, indeed, Selby does play a great drunk! I agree wholeheartedly, Jeannie. He's so cute and childlike.  [ghost_cheesy] It was rather amusing when Quentin started strangling Laura. He figured it would be a great test to find out if she was really dead!  [ghost_rolleyes] I love the expression on Laura's face when she was being strangled. Diana really did "bug eyes" very well, just as well as Selby did when he was "Zombie Quentin". They were the King and Queen of "bug eyes" on DS! [yikes]

I don't blame Edward for being angry with Quentin and Laura. [ghost_mad] That was a despicable act to run away together. Edward was so concerned about scandal, though, that he had to give in to Laura's demands.  [ghost_wink]

----- Sally -----
[ghost_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 06:44:38 PM »
Whether or not Laura's hand was gloved, Quentin was a fool to touch it.  I kept thinking of Angelique saying, "Look into my eyes."

The personalities in 1897 Collinwood are so strong that I have the feeling that even 40 (or 80) rooms couldn't have enough to contain them.  I would like to have been fly on the wall in the dining room in the evenings just before Quentin and Laura ran away together.

Laura mentioned Quentin spending all his time on the occult when they were in Alexandria.  Given that, I'm surprised that Evan Hanley apparently knew more about the occult than Quentin did.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:58:05 AM »
The personalities in 1897 Collinwood are so strong that I have the feeling that even 40 (or 80) rooms couldn't have enough to contain them.  I would like to have been fly on the wall in the dining room in the evenings just before Quentin and Laura ran away together.

[ghost_rolleyes] [ghost_cheesy]  Anyone got a hacksaw to cut the tension with?  And if you think about it, just about any formal dinner must have been quite a thing.  Imagine if you will the family, dressed to the nines for a formal dinner, all polite on the  outside, with the verbal knives out at every opportunity.

Laura mentioned Quentin spending all his time on the occult when they were in Alexandria.  Given that, I'm surprised that Evan Hanley apparently knew more about the occult than Quentin did.

Here's a thought.  We're only getting Laura's subjective opinion on that.  As self absorbed as she is, what are the odds that she was  put out that he was spending ANY time on anyone or anything other than HER. 

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 03:07:56 PM »
Laura is quite a piece of work, isn't she? She blackmails Edward into allowing her to stay at the cottage....I'm surprise she didn't add in keeping the children at Collinwood. It would have been easier for her cause if she had.

Quentin and Laura were never in LOVE, just in LUST. I must confess I do have a bit of sympathy for Edward in here, even if I think he's an idiot for sending his kids to Trask's school. Being betrayed by your wife AND your brother is a very hard pill
to swallow and even harder to get over. I think Quentin went after Laura just to spite Edward.

I liked Tim Shaw here, the defeated schoolteacher, before he became Tim Shaw the money-grubbing, vengeful rich man he becomes later on. Knowing Trask, he probably he didn't have much evidence, but he was so good at putting the fear of God into everyone he'd have no trouble at all browbeating anyone into doing everything his way.