Author Topic: Dark Shadows False Memory Syndrome  (Read 3017 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows False Memory Syndrome
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 03:27:05 PM »
I'm confused.  Does this mean the Partridge Family did or did not play a gig at the Blue Whale???????  [snow_huh]

See?  Perfect example of FDSMS.  It wasn't the Partridge Family, it was the Brady Bunch kids singing "Time to Change" while Chris Jennings was having problems.  I clearly remember that episode - it was during the Leviathan story line and Anne B. Davis stood in for Clarice Blackburn for a few episodes.

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 04:38:36 PM »
It was particularly jarring during those episodes to see Danny Bonaduce as David.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »
The other memory is of Julia poised over Barnabas' coffin with a stake in her hand. Her agony of mind was vivid as she struggled with what she knew she had to do: drive a stake through Barnabas' heart.

If anyone can validate either of these scenes, I'd feel much better!

Could you have blended the scene of [spoiler]Parallel Hoffman poised to stake Barnabas with Julia's anguish after Barnabas "died" from the Dream Curse?  In the latter incident, Julia did hold a stake and hammer while she argued with Willie in the Old House, but Banabas was not in the scene.[/spoiler]

ProfStokes

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »
Somehow, a verse was indicated which was read aloud: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live!" If not from DS, I don't know where I would have gotten that at such an early age (elementary school).

Could you have heard it in the original Carrie?  DS had been off the air for around 5 years already, but the Bible-thumping mother says it after Carrie has restrained her telekinetically so she can get out the door for the Prom.  While there aren't any knives in that scene, there are plenty later on.  It's just a guess.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 02:01:13 AM »
With regards to Carrie, Midnite, yes and no.  (This is referring to the Brian De Palma version of 1976, not the 2002 made-for-TV version which was also fantastic).  The fundamentalist fantatic Margaret, the mom, utters the line after Carrie leaves her bedroom on the way to prom.  Later, while Carrie and her beau were at the prom, the scene switches to the mom who, in the kitchen of their home, picks up a knife and begins to chop away at carrots as if beheading them, giving indication of what she intended to do.

Gerard

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 02:26:07 AM »
Mother says it, check.  Knives come later, check.  I think we're saying the same thing, Gerard.   [snow_kiss]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 02:43:42 AM »
You said it, Midnite!  Red - ah might've known.  It's pink Mamma, pink.  Ah can see your dirtypillows.  They're....well, you know the rest.

Gerard

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 08:09:17 AM »
ROFL to all of the above!!  Oh if we could only see Gerard's glorious Brady Bunch kids memory in actuality!  And now I'm picturing the Brady kids joyfully dancing and singing "Keep On" at Carrie's prom as buckets of blood cascade down on them! [snow_smileydevil]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 09:23:59 AM »
This isn't a DS memory but I had a friend in the early '80s who swore that Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" was knocked unconscious not as a result of a tornado but by falling into a pigpen in an earlier scene.  Eventually, we went to see the movie at a revival theater and I was finally vindicated.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 07:06:19 AM »
My apologies for not checking back on the forum to find suggestions from Prof Stokes and midnight ... that's not like me and I promise it will never happen again!  [snow_embarrassed]

Prof. Stokes suggested a scene in Parallel Time where Hoffman has a stake and wants to kill Barnabas. I know that wasn't what gave me the memory of Julia poised over Barnabas's coffin as I had never seen any of the PT storylines until a few years ago. It's possible I might have had a childhood dream about this (though I don't remember any such dream) which then became incorporated with my memories of the show.

Midnight suggested a scene from the movie "Carrie" that had the Old Testament Bible verse about witches. I know that wasn't it, because I never saw "Carrie" or read the book, although I did see the ending of the movie on TV years and years later. Maybe there was some movie with a supernatural theme on TV at about the time of DS's original airing that had a scene like this. Or maybe I somehow came across the Bible verse and in a dream incorporated it into "Dark Shadows."

It doesn't look like I'll ever solve this mystery. Maybe hypnotic regression would work.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995