Author Topic: Betty Hanscomb's picture  (Read 1393 times)

The Late Mrs. Collins

Betty Hanscomb's picture
« on: June 28, 2002, 05:31:00 AM »
Was that Vicki's maybe mother Betty Hanscomb's picture today at Maggie's? :o You know, the picture Sam gave Vicki early in the series because it looked like her.  Did I see correctly?

The Late Mrs. Collins

Whoops!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2002, 05:33:26 AM »
Sorry.  Just read Robservations and see that I'm not alone in noticing the picture.

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:  Betty Hanscomb's picture
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2002, 06:23:49 AM »
I noticed it too, and that it hadn't been there before. But, I admit that I forgot that Vicky had received it as a gift. Quite the art collection, huh? Maybe, she returned it as a permanent loan!
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2002, 09:47:22 PM »
Actually, the picture of Betty Hanscomb has been up there on Sam's wall for some time now, especially in the more recent shows, involving Adam & such.  And everytime I see that up there, I keep wondering to myself, when did Vicky ever give that back? [hdscrt]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2002, 12:53:12 AM »
Actually, the picture of Betty Hanscomb has been up there on Sam's wall for some time now, especially in the more recent shows, involving Adam & such.  And everytime I see that up there, I keep wondering to myself, when did Vicky ever give that back? [hdscrt]

To tell you the truth, I never noticed it. Maybe Sam had a trial run picture that he kept but gave Vicki the good one.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2002, 04:32:58 AM »

Cass - you may be thinking of another picture, the one near the door that leads to Maggie's room? That picture looks like it may be that of Maggie's mother, and it has always been there.

The picture referred to here was sitting on the window seat and I hadn't seen it there until now. If I hadn't had the benefit of seeing it in the very early episodes I would have never recognized it. This is the first time I've seen it at Sam's place since he gave it to Vicki and she took it home to show Roger and Elizabeth. That's the last time they ever referred to Betty Hanscomb, and they never showed Vicki hanging up the portrait in her room or anything.

I imagine the prop department merely returned it to the Evan's set along with all the other portraits - not thinking about the fact that it shouldn't have been there anymore. Maybe they didn't think anyone would remember it, or had forgotten its significance themselves.

Offline John_in_NC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2002, 10:23:59 PM »
Yes that is the same portrait that Sam gave Vicky.  I remember Roger and Elizabeth completely denying that it had any resemblance to her even though it could have been her identical twin!!  ;D  I guess it is like the traveling afghans.
John

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2002, 10:28:20 PM »
Once Barnabas appeared, they seemed to completely forget the original premise, which was Vicki's wish to learn her parentage, and hoping she would find it in Collinsport.  She had already unearthed a few clues, one of them being the picture of Betty that Sam Evans gave her, and which Carolyn said, upon seeing it, "When did you have your portrait done?"  Only Liz and Roger denied the resemblance to Vicki, for obvious reasons.

Too bad we never learned who Vicki's parents were.  It would have been a nice denouement to the denousement of her storyline.  

Love, Robin

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2002, 10:56:33 PM »
Yes that is the same portrait that Sam gave Vicky.  I remember Roger and Elizabeth completely denying that it had any resemblance to her even though it could have been her identical twin!!  ;D  I guess it is like the traveling afghans.
John

John! I was just asking Midnite about you the other day - it's really nice to see you resurfacing. [thumb]

Offline John_in_NC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2002, 05:14:25 AM »
Thanks Mysterious, I got lost in Parallel Time.   :D  Actually I have been in out of touch since the lightning fried my computer.  So I had to get a new one and am getting back to normal slowly but surely.
John

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2002, 05:41:13 AM »
Actually I have been in out of touch since the lightning fried my computer.

Midnite mentioned your computer woes, and I told her that I'd tempted Fate last Wednesday while I was online working on the Members' Archive during a thunderstorm. Somehow you always tell yourself that something like that won't happen to you. But obviously you're proof that it does happen. :(

So I had to get a new one and am getting back to normal slowly but surely.

Well, I'm glad that you're back. And hopefully we'll be seeing more of you. ;)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2002, 04:42:54 AM »
 Actually I have been in out of touch since the lightning fried my computer.

And I thought I was having a bad week.....I fried my monitor a week ago....(second one this year!! >:( )...but at least it wasn't lightning and it was JUST the monitor!

Hope you're up and running full speed, John_in_SC....but while you're at it, you might want to bookmark the local Weather Channel!!  ;D

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas