Author Topic: The Ranch Poodle Brigade  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The Ranch Poodle Brigade
« on: February 10, 2009, 11:06:51 PM »
I'm getting quite a charge out of today's screen capture of Jebulous and Pruno heatedly conferring in a darkened foyer at Collinwood.  I am old enough to remember when these shaggy coats and bits of woolly trim were fashionable on men's winter coats, but I'm still thinking of these two as "the ranch poodle brigade" and I'm wondering whether Bruno's hairpiece ever went flying when push came to shove.

Thanks again MB for brightening another dreary Winter afternoon here at the Great House!

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: The Ranch Poodle Brigade
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:44:37 AM »
somehow i knew you'd bring this up gothick... [snow_wink]

as outrageous as the plots were the series was a soap opera(read:sponsored by the manufacturers of housewife friendly products like,well,laundry detergent)and was,even in it's own time,a bit "square".

the male characters tended to be either suited up dandies(barnabas,roger)or blue collar joes(joe haskell,tom jennings).even with his muttonchops quentin was still a jacket-wearing member of an upper class family.

i think that 1970 characters like jeb and bruno were a somewhat late attempt at representing the "counterculture" percolating at the time.jeb was,if i recall,a motorcycle riding photographer.sort of a lame "easy rider" if you will.hence the long hair and shaggy coats.kind of lame but that's my impression of it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:33 PM »
Counter-culture?  Don't forget DS' very own Wild One, the incomparable Buzz Hackett, complete with bomber jacket, boots, stubble, and a hairpiece that resembled barely-taxidermed roadkill.

In the words of the Master, 'if ya feel it, sit it!"

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 01:17:27 AM »
Here's the capture/quote:

1970: Ep #946 - Jeb: 'I think we have a traitor on our hands.'

And I agree that DS reached its zenith of counterculture with Buzz:

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 02:13:44 AM »
That image makes me mourn the many pretty bunnies that died in order to make Bruno's coat.

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 02:45:11 AM »
Don't forget DS' very own Wild One, the incomparable Buzz Hackett, complete with bomber jacket, boots, stubble, and a hairpiece that resembled barely-taxidermed roadkill.
I started over with the Beginning Collection over the summer and really scrutinized Buzz this time around. What a RIOT! [snow_bigglass] I roared with laughter at how big his hair was one day and I was fascinated watching his interactions with the Collins clan, Jason included. Too bad he didn't stick around, he was truly entertaining.
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »
...and was,even in it's own time,a bit "square".

the male characters tended to be either suited up dandies(barnabas,roger)or blue collar joes(joe haskell,tom jennings).even with his muttonchops quentin was still a jacket-wearing member of an upper class family.

i think that 1970 characters like jeb and bruno were a somewhat late attempt at representing the "counterculture" percolating at the time.jeb was,if i recall,a motorcycle riding photographer.sort of a lame "easy rider" if you will.hence the long hair and shaggy coats.kind of lame but that's my impression of it.

Yes.  I think later generations don't realize how out of step TV was with the real changes happening in society then.   The generation gap was real.   Those in charge of TV were absolutely stumped by the new culture coming along, and depicted it poorly to say the least.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »
i could not for a moment forget about buzz.it's one of my favorite subplots ever if for no other reason than introducing us to "drunk carolyn" in one of nancy barrett's finest interpretations.

but for me buzz reads more as a late 1950's/early 1960's type of character.i'm thinking more "rebel without a clue" than "easy rider".he's not giving me woodstock but more of a poor man's hell's angel.or at the very least "beatnik".

jeb and bruno seem to me to be more of an(weak)attempt at representing the late 1960's hippie counterculture.the writers got it wrong in so many ways but i think they were attempting to work that type of character into the plot and to come across as more "with it".as with most mainstream television's attempts at "grooviness" at the time it reads as really corny but that's what i'm thinking.

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 06:17:54 AM »
Weren't Roxanne and Sebastion Shaw, with their open, 'free love' relationship the epitome of DS's attempts at grooviness, though? 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »
MB Dahling,

those images of Boss Buzz are fan-f**king-tabulosa!  Thanks so much!

cheers, G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 02:18:05 AM »
Weren't Roxanne and Sebastion Shaw, with their open, 'free love' relationship the epitome of DS's attempts at grooviness, though? 

yes sebastian and roxanne were perhaps the series greatest stab at "grooviness" but boy did it comes across as "square". [snow_rolleyes]

apart from getting barnabas out of the josette quagmire(there are only so many kls characters for him to hit on)roxanne i think was meant to represent a new kind of sweet young thing on the series.with her shag hairdo and maxi-skirts she was definitely a departure from the fall-wearing,mini-skirted ingenues of the 1960's.she was way more 1970's.she was also less virginal and naive than barnabas' previous hook ups.