Author Topic: GAY OF THE DEAD #3: Todd Farmer’s ass, Fred Olen Ray, Dylan Vox & THE LAIR  (Read 956 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A Fangoria article about and a couple interviews with people from The Lair that compares the show to "a gay DARK SHADOWS" and "MELROSE PLACE meets DARK SHADOWS." I've never seen the show, so I have no idea if that's true. But I figured those who have or DS fans in general might find the article/interviews interesting. So, check out: GAY OF THE DEAD #3: Todd Farmer’s ass, Fred Olen Ray, Dylan Vox & THE LAIR

David

The first season of Lair swipes the DS storyline in which the vampire meets the reincarnation of his long dead love, who just happens to look just like an old portrait
of said lover.

It's Maggie meets Barnabas with gay characters!

Seasons 1 & 2 are out on DVD.

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
The season 1 cliffhanger of the Lair bore a pretty close resemblance to a certain repeated event on DS, although one that they had originally swiped from Edgar Allan Poe (whose new US stamp is damned pretty, I must say).

I kept looking for news about season 2 of the Lair but never saw an update. Thanks, David.

G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Finally had time to go look at the blog; all very interesting.  Barbara Steele worked on a project with Fred Olen Ray at some point in the 90s and praised him to the skies--she's very demanding, so you know he MUST be excellent!

It's exciting to hear that Sybil Danning is going to have a role in the Lair, season 3.  I think many DS fans would enjoy Danning's work in the early 1980s film The Howling 2.  She's outrageously campy in it and wears fabulous costumes!

G.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Fred Olen Ray, in my opinion--which is based on seeing quite a number of films he produced/directed over the past 29 years--is the Roger Corman of --well, of the last 29 years.  Fred Olen Ray makes Dan Curtis look like Robert Wise... ;)

Brian

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
I've heard that Sybil Danning had some bad accident with her back in the 80s and quit movies as a result, so I'm glad she's doing something.   Stirba's great, even though Howling II isn't so much...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Point taken, Brian; but some of Corman's stuff was really fine, especially some of the Sixties films.

It would seem from my viewing of the Lair #1 and the accounts of the shooting schedules that was called for, more than anything else, is a highly competent technician with the ability to log maximum minutes of footage per day.  Ray seems capable of filling that bill.

G.