Author Topic: Open mouth, insert foot  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
Open mouth, insert foot
« on: June 27, 2002, 03:49:48 AM »
For the life of me, why did Barnabas expose his trump card by confronting Cassangelique and telling her that he was "alive"?  

She had no idea that he still existed. As a matter of fact, neither did Nicholas Blair! Barnabas could have gone away with Julia & Willie letting Cassangelique and all of Collinsport "think" that he was dead. then return with no one the wiser.

In the scheme of things, wouldn't this make sense? ?!?
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Open mouth, insert foot
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2002, 04:37:02 AM »
I don't think logic has ever been Barney's strong point. How about when he was gloating over beating Cassy and OF COURSE, had to send Julia down to the basement, because OF COURSE there couldn't be a problem?!  :P Would he listen to the woman? Noooooooo.....
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2002, 06:33:05 AM »
Barnabas has never had much patience when it came to restraint. Time and time again, he makes the same mistake by acting on his impulses rather than thinking things out logically for awhile.  In a way, he is just like Cassandangeliqe because she never thinks things through either and often acts on impulse. He made the same mistake way back in 1795 when he confronted Angelique about her being the witch. After 200 years of making this same mistake with her, you'd think he'd learn by now to use more caution! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2002, 12:45:21 PM »
After 200 years of making this same mistake with her, you'd think he'd learn by now to use more caution! ;)

Barnabas does seem to make the same mistakes over and over and over again...even though he knows the family history, he is doomed to repeat it!

But I'm sure that after 200 years, it's fun to spook Cassangelique and go "Nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah-nyaaaah-nyaaaah..."  :P
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2002, 05:46:02 PM »
No, our friend Barnabas isn't exactly stupid, but he doesn't think things through very often.  I think he really wanted to gloat over his victory over CassAng and savor every moment of it.  It was very satisfying to see her reaction when he stepped out of the shadows.  

I had expected Nicholas to read CassAng the riot act after her failure with the Dream Curse, but perhaps the Dapper Devil has a little affection for the (be)witching gal himself?  

Ah, where would Barnabas be without Dr. Hoffman or the classy, rational and objective Prof. Stokes?  I shudder to think!   :o

Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2002, 01:11:12 AM »
Barnabas has never had much patience when it came to restraint. Time and time again, he makes the same mistake by acting on his impulses rather than thinking things out logically for awhile.  In a way, he is just like Cassandangeliqe because she never thinks things through either and often acts on impulse. He made the same mistake way back in 1795 when he confronted Angelique about her being the witch. After 200 years of making this same mistake with her, you'd think he'd learn by now to use more caution! ;)

Excellent point. In fact it was Barnabas' lack of restraint which led to his involvement with Angelique in the first place, jumping into the sack with her just because he figured Josette didn't love him. He has no one to blame but himself. And I still blame him for Sam Evans' death.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2002, 05:06:28 PM »

Barnabas does seem to make the same mistakes over and over and over again...even though he knows the family history, he is doomed to repeat it!

This is putting Barnabas's pathology mildly . . He was always stubborn and dumb on many fronts. . He never saw what was right in front of him.  He could've left Collinsport with all his money, a groveling servant and a ready and willing female at his beck-n-call.  Its more than selfish that he stays on at Collinsport when Angelique's crusade against "him" is what puts the present-day Collinses in jeopardy. . . . .was this a 18th century ignorantly chivalrous trait or lazy writing??  ?!?
Julia99

Nancy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2002, 08:20:18 PM »

This is putting Barnabas's pathology mildly . . He was always stubborn and dumb on many fronts. . He never saw what was right in front of him.  He could've left Collinsport with all his money, a groveling servant and a ready and willing female at his beck-n-call.  Its more than selfish that he stays on at Collinsport when Angelique's crusade against "him" is what puts the present-day Collinses in jeopardy. . . . .was this a 18th century ignorantly chivalrous trait or lazy writing??  ?!?

The more imperfect the person, the more material writers have to work with.  Those who usually do the right things or the smart things can be admired by the viewer but they won't get much screen time.   What kind of storyline did the character of Vicki ever really have after her introduction?  She was nice. She believed in the best of people for the most part.  She was dull.  The decision to make Barnabas go back and forth combatting his demons (and stupidity at times) made for a ton of possibilities for plots and interaction with other characters.
If Barnabas did the smart thing and leave as you suggested, that is one less complex character for the series and less story material.

Look at how horror movies work for example: someone ventures into an area (or a house) after repeated warnings or knowing people have been killed there before, etc.  The Blair Witch Project: how dumb is it to go into woods that are unknown to you for what you know will be one overnight stay at least and you don't have any kind of walkie-talkie, cellphone or backup in case something goes wrong?  Someone falls and gets a deep cut, or breaks a leg?  People on that kind of a mission make contigency plans.  Why dumb down the three students before this trip into the woods?  If they had any of that prepared ahead of time, they would not have been hopelessly lost and things would not have progressed as they did.  Hence, no movie. :-/

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2002, 11:48:04 PM »
It was not the brightest thing to do.  Hey, I enjoyed the scene, it was fun to watch.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2002, 12:45:56 AM »
It was not the brightest thing to do.  Hey, I enjoyed the scene, it was fun to watch.

Oh, yes, I enjoyed the scene, too! But when I saw that Cassangelique had no idea that he was even nearby, I thought: why play your hand?

I'm sure the writers could have had Barnabas "disappear" for a few episodes with Cassangelique wondering what had happened. When he returned "alive", she could have found out and started more evil mechanisms against him.
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 05:40:52 AM »
And I still blame him for Sam Evans' death.

I have to disagree. I believe Cassandra more than anyone was to blame for poor Sam's death. Though I do agree that Barnabas does hold responsibility for Sam's blindness, he was wrong to involve him in his attempt to get rid of Cassandra I can't argue with that.. But [spoiler]it was Cassandra who caused Sam to have the dream, and the dream is what ultimately killed him.[/spoiler]

But you know I can't really blame Barnabas for wanting to rub it in Cassandra's face. She was so smug when thinking [spoiler]Vicki, the woman Barnabas loved, was gonna tell him the dream and then he'll have it and then he'll be back to being a vampire forever.[/spoiler]I loved seeing the expression on her face when he showed up on the terrace and the triumph she throught she had achieved was thwarted. I also happen to think sooner or later she would have found out he was still alive even if he had left Collinsport forever without telling anyone.