Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Burke Devlin?  (Read 9304 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to Burke Devlin?
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 01:25:23 PM »
i'm currently watching the 1966 episodes and i had forgotten what a steamroller mitch ryan was as burke...his devlin owned this show.

by the time of the anthony george replacement the character,like everyone else,had become a supporting player in the barnabas saga.i can't see ryan playing second banana.

that barnabas somehow "caused" burke's plane crash is one of the series' great misconceptions.he didn't.

sarah warned david and carolyn that someone was going to die.they heard it in the music.no one would cause it and nothing could stop it.then vicki heard the wailing of the widow's...goosebumps!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 06:47:37 PM »
Well this is my first time viewing a portion of these episodes.  I will see.....;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »
I think I am the only person on this board who liked Anthony George on the show.

I didn't dislike Anthony George, I thought he did a great job as Jeremiah. And as both Jeremiah and Burke he had some great scenes with Jonathan Frid. However, Mitch Ryan will always hold a special
place for me as the ultimate Burke Devlin.

With George gone, they could have recasted Burke again, but chose not to. Probably because they
hooked Vicki up with another love interest. Once Vicki hooks up with [spoiler]Peter/Jeff,[/spoiler] Burke is never mentioned again, almost like he never even existed, which I feel is a disservice to the character since
he played such an important part at the beginning of the show.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2009, 06:24:29 PM »
I didn't dislike Anthony George, I thought he did a great job as Jeremiah. And as both Jeremiah and Burke he had some great scenes with Jonathan Frid. However, Mitch Ryan will always hold a special
place for me as the ultimate Burke Devlin.

With George gone, they could have recasted Burke again, but chose not to. Probably because they
hooked Vicki up with another love interest. Once Vicki hooks up with [spoiler]Peter/Jeff,[/spoiler] Burke is never mentioned again, almost like he never even existed, which I feel is a disservice to the character since
he played such an important part at the beginning of the show.

Ummm... Shouldn't someone be complaining that there's a massive spoiler in this post? I seem to remember certain people being very ... picky ... about this in the past.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
Actually, the entire topic has a spoiler warning because of the spoiler icon:

Using the spoiler tags within posts is appreciated, but it's not as necessary when people have already been warned before they even open the topic.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2009, 07:09:01 PM »
I too enjoyed Anthony George in the show. In fact, Jeremiah is one of my favorite characters.

I do agree with others who have said that Burke was best played by Mitch Ryan, this after having seen his portrayal of Burke in the pre-Barnabas episodes. However, not having his death shown on screen makes for some interesting speculation as to whether or not he truly died.
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2009, 10:13:24 PM »
I always thought that Vicki seemed "into it" with both of her fiancees, but that's just me.

I never bought into the entire Vicki and Peter/Jeff affair. I thought that Vicki and Burke were much more believable, especially with Anthony George portraying Burke.

I thought Alexandra and Anthony George clicked as well, but only as Vicki and Jeremiah. I didn't care much for the Vicki/AG'S Burke Devlin pairing.

I am one of the few who actually does like the Peter/Jeff/Vicki pairing. Though I have to say that Jeff Clark could certainly be a handful at times.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2009, 03:35:44 AM »
I really love Vicky/Peter-Jeff, I didn't realise they were so unpopular. I thought they had great chemistry and were believable as being in love. They were certainly enthusiastic in their make out scenes.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »
Bradford was a great character up until everyone here bombarded me with how RD is so obviously crap!   It's hard to see past that overwhelming wall of opinion now... I like Tate too.  I mean, he works as an unlikeable character.   I do think that somehow PB lost his character as Clark.   As for Ned, I think Barnabas's real reason for the I Ching was to escape Ned....

[candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull] [female_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
As for Ned, I think Barnabas's real reason for the I Ching was to escape Ned....

and Sabrina...

Patti
What a Woman!