Author Topic: Whatever Happened to Burke Devlin?  (Read 9302 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Whatever Happened to Burke Devlin?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 06:38:56 PM »
Anthony George, Grayson Hall, & Nancy Barrett were all on One Life to Live at the same time and they shared a scene where they ran into each other and they thought they recognized each other from somewhere.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 07:04:23 PM »
that's inspired...!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 07:39:23 PM »
I'd love to see that -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »
also Sam Hall and Gordon Russell were writing for One Life to Live at the time.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 05:20:32 PM »
To Nancy--thanks for sharing that fascinating anecdote about Peter Miner.  I just received the 4th set of the 1966/67 DVDs in the post recently and last night had a chance to view Bob Costello's interview, and he mentioned Peter Miner as one of the people he personally recruited in the original production unit.  Sy Tomashoff and Bob Cobert were also mentioned.  (It was interesting to learn that Costello was the one who recruited Cobert originally.)  Also Ramse Mostoller.  I recall Ramse mentioning in a letter to a fan that was published in a one-off collection some years ago that apart from Dan Curtis, she did enjoy working on DS.  It was implied that DC's temper and ego made things difficult for her personally--presumably why she eventually left, as did Costello, Ron Sproat, and some others over the years.

I well remember Joan Bennett in her autobiography describing how difficult it sometimes was to get through a scene because of the chaos that surrounded them on the set.  Nevertheless, I do think that she had some good times during her years on DS.

Best, Steve

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »
I didn't really care for Burke, but it does seem a shame that they didn't have Barnabas kill him, just for the drama of it. A nasty death would have been more interesting than an uncertain off screen death. For what it's worth I liked Jeremiah a lot better than Burke. I think part of what I dislike about Burke was how unsuited he seemed for Vicki. I do suspect that Barnabas and Jeremiah had a think going. Look at how Jeremiah puts his hand on Barnabas's thigh when he's choking early in the 1795 sl.
Maybe the writers decided not to have Barnabas kill him if they were thinking on converting Brnabas into a conflicted hero. If I had my way about it Barnabas would have framed Burke for kidnapping Maggie and the police would've killed him when he tried to escape. Writes Burke out, keeps Willie in the story and keeps Barnabas from actively killing him and making him a more devious character.
For what it's worth I like Peter/Jeff and thought he had a really great relationship with Vicki.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 02:48:11 AM »
Whatever happened to Burke?

He died. Any questions?

Three cures just for that? I thought I was being funny, but apparently not... I guess I'm probably lookin' at another 3-5 cures for this post too. Oh well...
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 05:26:06 PM »
In the Bennett Playbill, Joan Bennett stated that she liked her co-stars except for Roger Davis.  She said "He thinks he is Henry Fonda, and he is not."

It seemed Tony Peterson was orignally meant to replace Burke, but it never worked out that way.

I well remember Joan Bennett in her autobiography describing how difficult it sometimes was to get through a scene because of the chaos that surrounded them on the set.  Nevertheless, I do think that she had some good times during her years on DS.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 06:15:38 PM »
Garth baby, I for one got a good giggle out of what you wrote about dear Burke and his fate.

Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes!  (or, in those case, those nasty "cures")

cheers, G.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 06:29:46 PM »
Thanks, G-- glad I was amusing someone other than myself.

Regarding Roger Davis, I swear to god he copped feels off of more female actors than all of the others people on the show combined. I always imagined that the ladies dreaded doing scenes with him because would shake the crap out of them and probably grab something in the process that he wasn't supposed to.  [snow_shocked]
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »
Peter/Jeff and Vicki always did seem to go at it like junkyard dogs, but Vicki seemed into it to me. His passionate love scenes make him seem pretty sexy to me, but of course it's dead wrong if he was sexually harassing anybody. I can disaprove of an actor's behavior and still enjoy his performance.
I did think that Ned was way too touchy feely with Sabrina, but then I didn't like Ned that much, in comparison to Peter/Jeff.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 10:00:23 PM »
vicki and jeff "went at it" alright...

but as "passionate" as it was because of the way the dialogue for them was written it always seemed like they were bickering.that's probably not how it was intended but it's how it came across to me.

this was compounded by the difference in acting styles between alexandra and roger...her placidness contrasted to his belligerence...that gave their scenes together an odd dissonance.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 02:57:21 AM »
I always thought that Vicki seemed "into it" with both of her fiancees, but that's just me.

I never bought into the entire Vicki and Peter/Jeff affair. I thought that Vicki and Burke were much more believable, especially with Anthony George portraying Burke.
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 04:16:17 AM »
It's nice to see you posting, fanforever.  ;)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 05:07:47 AM »
I always wondered if perhaps Barnabas caused the plane to crash....what?? Stranger things have happend.....In fact when I viewed the scene where he found out, I was convinced he caused the plane crash. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/