Author Topic: Yes, there is life on the tube for Life on Mars  (Read 546 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yes, there is life on the tube for Life on Mars
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:16:33 PM »
An article about Life on Mars that references Harvey Keitel's appearances on DS: Yes, there is life on the tube for Life on Mars

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, there is life on the tube for Life on Mars
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 09:41:53 PM »
We have the Internet Movie Database (IMDB) to thank for the fact that notes such as this now appear so routinely in the press.  Let's hope that the author of this little piece bothered to mention Keitel's appearance (as a barfly at the Blue Whale, wasn't it?) on DS because he thought it was cool. 

Philip Glenister, who originated the character of Gene Hunt on the BBC series of which this is a remake, was so scorchingly brilliant that even somebody of Keitel's calibre has his work cut out for him taking on such a role.  Keitel is something like 20 to 30 years older than Glenister, I believe.

I also find it hard to imagine anyone other than John Simms playing Sam Tyler--and I doubt whether the US series will be as gritty as the UK original. 

In other remake news, yet another story about a US incarnation of Absolutely Fabulous has shown up on Wikipedia.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Yes, there is life on the tube for Life on Mars
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:26 PM »
I'm quite enjoying Life on Mars - and Keitel's work on it in particular. But I have to confess that I've never seen the British original, so I'm not in any way comparing the US version to it. From what I read, though, there are things about the US version that are intentionally markedly different.