Author Topic: Hammiest Ham that ever Hammed  (Read 2942 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Hammiest Ham that ever Hammed
« on: June 25, 2002, 05:46:50 PM »
Pass the ham please! My goodness! Despite the situation at hand on the show I was laughing hysterically through the last 15 minutes of the first episode today! I missed the first half, but....

... and were Willie and Julia smoking crack? Willie was looking forward to working for Barnabas again? After all Barnabas had put him through and done to him, Willie was looking forward to returning to his job? There must be something seriously wrong with that boy.

~Arashi

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Hammiest Ham that ever Hammed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2002, 06:52:52 PM »

There must be something seriously wrong with that boy.

I believe he has a bad case of the "Willies".  At least, that's what he said the other day as he giggled in front of the Trask Wall. [heh]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2002, 04:00:57 AM »
D'oh! Today was the "But remember Julia.... I gotta do what you tell me?" wasn't it? (or something to that effect). Gotta break out the bloopers tape again.

Hey everyone who is making the Fest this year, have a great time!

;D

~Arashi

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2002, 05:38:09 AM »
Monday & Tuesday's eps were immensely satisfying and lots of fun.  Not only were G. Hall & J. Frid battling drama queens, Hall & J. Karlen flubbed more lines in those scenes where they bury Barnabas than everyone else in all 1200+ episodes combined. ;)

WILLIE:"Wh-Wh-Wh-What're we gonna tell ev-ev-ev'rybody at the Old House--er, Big House?"

Planning a trip to prison, Willie...? :)

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2002, 08:20:58 AM »
::Laughing:: I forgot about that one!

Oh lordy. And what was poor Kathryn Leigh Scott wearing today? Did people actually dress like that?!

(Don't answer that. I have the teen magazines to prove it).

~Arashi

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2002, 08:49:21 AM »
Hey Arashi!...I thought that dress was cute. :'(

Adra ;D
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2002, 12:19:21 PM »
Willie and Julia's "funeral in miniature" for Barnabas was really great to watch.  I think both Julia and Willie have selective memories, forgetting the chokings and beatings, attributing them to a Barnabas that is long gone since he became human.

And wasn't that bitch-slap Julia gave Cassandra SO satisfying?

Love, Robin

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2002, 02:28:30 PM »
I think both Julia and Willie have selective memories, forgetting the chokings and beatings...

So true!!  :D  How many times did Barnabas try to kill Julia?  Worse yet, how many times did he manipulate her or trifle with her obvious feelings for him--to the point even clueless Carolyn calls him on it.

And how many times did he belittle Willie's intense feelings for Maggie?  Not to mention setting him up for her kidnapping!

And wasn't that bitch-slap Julia gave Cassandra SO satisfying?

Immensely. And this exchange (paraphrased):

CASSANDRA: I think you're in love with him.
JULIA: Not nearly as much as you.

Duh and duh!

Too bad TV shows didn't do "special" episodes back then, like the Buffy musical.  I'd love to hear Julia break into a rousing version of "Stand By Your Man"!

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2002, 03:17:21 PM »

How many times did Barnabas try to kill Julia?  Worse yet, how many times did he manipulate her or trifle with her obvious feelings for him--to the point even clueless Carolyn calls him on it.

And how many times did he belittle Willie's intense feelings for Maggie?  Not to mention setting him up for her kidnapping!

These facts have always made me wonder just how DID Barnabas inspire such dedication - even from his closest buds!  You'd think this crotchty 200 year old guy's life was more important than anyone else in the world.  It's gotta be Supernaturally ispired.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2002, 07:23:09 PM »
It's interesting to read these reactions to people watching these shows for the first time now. (I assume that you're all discussing the episode where Julia discovers Barnabas' body, and tries and fails to drive a stake through his heart to prevent him from rising as a vampire.)  When I first saw this show back in the Summer of 1968, I was still pretty much a new viewer, and I remember that the show had me struggling to hold back tears of sadness (bear in mind that I was 9 going on 10 at that point).  

I obviously did not know the previous history Barnabas had with Julia and Willie, and how odd it was for Willie to be reactiing the way he was to the situation.  

Watching it as an adult, it seems like a very odd episode indeed.  It seems as if Grayson and Johnny had barely had the chance to rehearse their scenes in the early part.  You get the feeling that it was one of those "off" days in the studio.  Strangely, though, the awkwardness and jerkiness of the two characters' behavior makes a weird kind of sense, given their emotional state as written in the script.  At least, that's how I see it.

The script is beyond bizarre in places, though.  How goofy is it to think that burying someone would keep him from rising as a vampire?  Someone as knowledgeable about that particular as "affliction" as Julia Hoffman was, would know just how ridiculous that idea was.

Gothick

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2002, 08:15:45 PM »
....How goofy is it to think that burying someone would keep him from rising as a vampire?  Someone as knowledgeable about that particular as "affliction" as Julia Hoffman was, would know just how ridiculous that idea was.

::laughing:: Yeah, the whole burying thing was kind of odd. And I still find Willie's "I'm going to miss him" speech weird. The whole "I wasn't a really nice person until I met Barnabas." was odd too. The only reason Barnabas got Willie to behave was because Willie was terrified of him, and had the crap beaten out of him if he didn't do what Barnabas wanted.

Ahhh!! I missed the Cassandra/Julia bitch slap!! I did catch the You love him, you do too line. That was great! Too bad the writers didn't throw little zingers in like that more often.

~Arashi

Offline franimal

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2002, 08:35:51 PM »
I agree....this was pretty funny stuff.  I like that they had a perfectly dug out grave - into which someone? had placed a coffin containing a dead 6 ft tall person.  Hmmmm....only Willie & Julia were there.  Who carried that thing?  

AND......neither one had a smudge of dirt on them and neither one seemed to have even broken a sweat!!!

But the best - absolutely BEST line for me  was when Willie did that bit about "oh no! now the dogs are gonna start howling again"

Thought I'd just about fall off the couch!

Franimal

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2002, 09:18:43 PM »
...the awkwardness and jerkiness of the two characters' behavior makes a weird kind of sense, given their emotional state as written in the script...(which) is beyond bizarre in places...

Ain't it though? :)

I'll also go with the awkwardness and jerkiness of both Julia and Willie making sense--given that they have never been really all that close up until now.  

Willie is even suspicious of Julia when she offers him a job at Wyndcliff; of course Julia does freely admit that she made the offer only because Barnabas would want Willie "taken care of"--in his own weird Barnabas kind of way...

Despite those scenes being something of a train wreck, they are compelling--as are Grayson Hall & John Karlen, of course...

Offline Julian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2002, 10:05:40 PM »
My psychobabble for today - Willie seems to be a person who needed/wanted a strong male figure in his life (issues with his father?).  Witness his relationship with Jason McGuire.  

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2002, 11:02:17 PM »
...the awkwardness and jerkiness of the two characters' behavior makes a weird kind of sense, given their emotional state as written in the script....(which) is beyond bizarre in places...

You think Grayson Hall ever went home after taping an episode and said: "Sam, what the hell was that script all about?!"  ;)