Author Topic: Slightly OT: Strangeparadise.net Updates/Missing Episode Revealed (see reply #9)  (Read 2062 times)

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Hello again all:

I just thought I'd drop in to give everyone an update on what's been happening over at www.strangeparadise.net. It may not seem like much has happened in the past couple of months, including a trip to New York to interview Bob Costello and a couple of others involved in the production of "Strange Paradise" Also, work on the website has been progressing steadily. I've set up a blog over at blogspot so that peoplecan keep up to date on the latest happenings "behind the scenes", before things actually show up on the website. Please feel free to check it out!

strangeparadisenet.blogspot.com/

Bryan

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: OT: Strangeparadise.net Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 04:48:18 PM »
Bryan, I've been meaning to drop you a personal note to congratulate and to thank you for all the wonderful work you've been sharing with us on this site.  It has become one of my favorite places on the Net!  I am so glad you have taken it on to preserve the cultural legacy of Strange Paradise for those of us who are fans of this neglected series.

Best wishes always,

Steve

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
Steve,

Thanks so much for the kind words. I am very happy that my little labor of love (lots of alliteration there) has brought enjoyment to people. I am often torn between announcing what I'm working on and waiting to actually post it before I do, so I thought the blog idea might be a good one to kind of tell people that yes, there are things going on without actually having to wait until each section is ready.

Rest assured there will be lots more to come, and more info on the book (perhaps even some sample sections) later on in 2009. For now, the archiveshave been updated through yesterday (1/19/09) - anyone can check them out at www.strangeparadise.net/Archives.html

Thanks again for the kind words of support. That's what keeps me going!

Bryan

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 09:13:31 PM »
Hey Bryan, that's all very exciting!  I'll be sure to subscribe to the blog.  It probably requires signing up for an official google account and I have put that off forever...

Some of those rare photos you have posted on the Archives section of your site really knock my socks off.  The publicity photo from Pat Moffatt alone has warranted multiple visits to the site... love the one of Cosette and Trudy together as well, and so many more...

cheers, Steve

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:34:55 PM »
Some of those rare photos you have posted on the Archives section of your site really knock my socks off.  The publicity photo from Pat Moffatt alone has warranted multiple visits to the site... love the one of Cosette and Trudy together as well, and so many more...

Glad you liked the shots! I do have some more candid photos (actually quite a few more) but I am saving some for the book, so I'm being rather judicious about putting them all up in the archives....I loved the Pat Moffatt one as well - she had that photo specially made for her own personal use while she was making the program.

I can tell you, also that several of the new sections will feature parts of some of those behind the scenes photos in their design, so you'll get to see some of them soon!

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »
Great stuff. What are the chances we'll ever see a legit DVD release?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 03:33:59 AM »
Great stuff. What are the chances we'll ever see a legit DVD release?

That's probably the question I get most often - to keep the answer very short (as the entire story is rather involved), right now the chances of an actual DVD release are close to zero. The current owners are basically looking for more money than they might reasonably expect to get out of the property. Part of the issue is that Strange Paradise is but one of many properties owned by this particular company and it's simply not a priority.

I can tell you that they were approached recently with an offer to put the show out on DVD but turned it down.

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
OT: Some new sections added to Strangeparadise.net
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 03:36:38 AM »
Strangeparadise.net is happy to announce that not one, not two, but THREE entirely new sections are now online for your perusing pleasure. Do you want information on the minute details of the Maljardin storyline? We've got it. Do you have a burning desire to take a look at Irene Hatter's kaftan up close? We've got that, too. Do you want to find out the behind the scenes stories that didn't make it onto TV? Yep, we've got the goods there, too.

Click on the links below to check out our three newest sections - History, Photos and Trivia. All are works in progress, but for now everyone can get their fill of trivia for all 65 episodes of the Maljardin storyline, read a summary of the Show in the history section, and take a gander at full episode galleries for episodes 1-5, plus samplings of behind the scenes photos of the cast, crew and production. There's also a miscellaneous photos section, too, so enjoy!

TRIVIA: www.strangeparadise.net/trivialanding.html

PHOTOS: www.strangeparadise.net/photolanding.html

HISTORY: www.strangeparadise.net/historylanding.html

Again, thanks for all of the support and please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to see.

Regards,

Bryan

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Slightly OT: Strangeparadise.net Updates
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 04:35:15 PM »
If you ever uncover anything about who actually wrote and recorded the music (i. e. the man/men/people behind "Score Productions"), I would love to read about it.  The music is one of my favorite things about the series... I have never been able to figure out if others love it too, or if I am in a minority.

I look forward to seeing the new goodies!  A closeup of Irene's kaftan--wow!

Best,

Steve

Offline drwhotrades

• I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Strange Paradise: The Missing Episode - Revealed!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:33:49 AM »
All:

Here's some great new information concerning Strange Paradise. I do hope that posting it here is OK:

Much like Dark Shadows, Strange Paradise also has a missing episode. As a result, for many years the syndicated broadcasts of Strange Paradise have been incomplete, with this particular episode being skipped over.

Unlike Dark Shadows, though, which has the script and off-air audio for its missing episode, allowing for a reasonably complete fascimile to be put together, any reference materials to Strange Paradise's missing episode have long since disappeared, and as such only the sketchiest of details remain about its content.

Until recently, why this particular episode, (episode 171) was missing, and its ultimate fate, were unknown. However, Strangeparadise.net is happy to report that, due to some fortuitous circumstances, a copy episode 171 has been recovered and has been archived in a digital format, allowing the Strange Paradise story to be complete again for the first time in over thirty years.

In a web exclusive, strangeparadise.net has put together everything you need to know about episode 171, including the history of its disappearance, the story of its rediscovery and, for the first time anywhere, a complete synopsis and photo gallery. For all of the details, please check out the link below:

www.strangeparadise.net/missingepisode.html

Additionally, for a limited time, strangeparadise.net is proud to present a full slideshow of the entire episode. Please go to the link below to view it. Please excuse the white text on the light backgound. It is a peculiarity of the program used to create the slideshow.

www.youtube.com/strangeparadisenet

Enjoy!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
How exciting!  I look forward to watching the slideshow later this evening.

Congratulations for your truly heroic efforts in recovering AND conserving this missing episode.  We owe you a lot!

More later,

Steve

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Fans of Strange Paradise might enjoy checking out this site:

http://www.maljardin.com

It's maintained by another fan of the series (a friend of both Bryan's and myself) and the guy has provided some really interesting and fun historical features and rare photographs on his site.  Good stuff!

cheers,

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Very nice site.

I'd love to see the Harding Lemay eps one day. He's an extremely well respected writer in the soap world.