Author Topic: Mordecai Grimes  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Mordecai Grimes
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:46:23 PM »
My thanks to MB for showcasing Thayer David's vivid Mordecai Grimes characterization in today's snapshot.  Even though Mordecai only appeared in something like four or five shows, he brought an element of piss-and-vinegar realism to the unfolding of the 1840 plot that was sorely needed. 

Mordecai always reminds me of one of Thayer's later characters--Rev. Strack in the film NoDS.  Fabulous work.

I particularly remember a scene where Mordecai and Gabriel are spewing vitriol at one another in the drawing room.  If I remember it correctly, Gabriel makes Mordecai wheel him in, treating him like a house servant.  Grand stuff.

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Mordecai Grimes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:02:45 AM »
Here's the capture/quote from 1/7:

1841: Ep #1184 - Mordecai: 'The good Lord sent me an
ungrateful, unloving son.'

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
Lovely capture and quote.  I'd really like to know what became of Jeremy.  After the events of 1840, I can imagine him deciding that his father had the right idea after all.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 05:33:52 PM »
Given that Thayer David recently returned as Prof. Stokes, I wonder why they decided to cast him as Mordecai Grimes at the same time (DC being thrifty?)

The actor playing Jeremy Grimes could have returned if DS stayed in the present time following 1840, perhaps as the new David Collins?

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 01:27:01 AM »
Jeremy was pretty cute, I would've like to see more of him. He seems a little older than David, but he may just be taller and more filled out which makes him look more mature.  He has a really different look from David, he doesnt really seem right for that part.
If Chris wasn't coming back I'd have killed Chris off and introduced "Jeremy" as Quentin's son who inherited the werewolf curse after Chris's death.
Getting off topic even further, I also always wondered what would have been done with Kate Jackson if the show had done another modern day storyline. Most likely she'd have been a modern day descendent of Daphne ( a great niece or something) who'd be the new governess. Of course, David and Hallie were really too old to have a governess anyways so maybe it was time for Collinwood to be without a governess and a new role would need to have been found for her. She could have been "Jeremy" 's sister, but then that would rule her out as a love intrest for Quentin.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 03:58:07 AM »
I had a crush on Jeremy when I first watched the show at age 15. It was [spoiler]sad that his romance with Carrie fizzled out after Mordecai's death.[/spoiler] I don't think Jeremy was meant to replace David but it would have been interesting to see him in the present day time period.

Offline fanforever

• Junior Poster
  • You and your teastrainer were absolutely brilliant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:20:49 AM »
I think that Jeremy was supposed to sort of fill in for David as Carrie's romantic interest. They hinted in the previous storyline that David was to be Carrie's boyfriend or something in 1840, and since Henesy left the series, someone had to pick up the slack. Incidently, I've always wondered if the new expectations for Henesy was one of the reason that he left the show and acting altogether.
There has to be more . . . More . . . MORE!!!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:45:27 AM »
They hinted in the previous storyline that David was to be Carrie's boyfriend or something in 1840,

Hmm, I don't recall hints like that about Tad and Carrie.

I've always wondered if the new expectations for Henesy was one of the reason that he left the show and acting altogether.

You might be interested in his brief comments here from 2002:
http://www.collinwood.net/features/interview/henesy.htm

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:15 AM »
Hmmm.  Maybe.   Not being a soap person, I sometimes forget about soap opera priorities in DS.   Shoe-horning romances into the story is something they'd feel compelled to do, even if they didn't grow naturally out of the storyline.    
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:21:39 AM »
I never got romantic vibes from Tad/Carrie or David/Hallie. Tad and Callie seemed very much like brother and sister to me.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:11:39 AM »
I concur.  Jermey was indeed a hottie though!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 04:40:20 AM »
I, too, enjoyed seeing the great Thayer David in his portrayal of the just "slightly" misanthropic Mordecai Grimes.

You know, the close facial resemblance between Mordecai and his young son, Jeremy, was absolutely amazing to observe.  It was almost like seeing US Rep. Henry Waxman and his own possible lookalike son, actor Brad Pitt, or seeing popular radio talk show host Rush Limbaugh and his own possible lookalike son, actor/activist George Clooney! [easter_grin] [easter_wink] [easter_shocked] 

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 03:30:39 AM »
The birthday card to Tad that was found in the playroom was from your loving Carrie, as I recall. 16 magazine--perhaps not the most accurate source of information--said that a Cody/Henesy romance was planned but tptb changed their minds.
Fade Away and Radiate