Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0702  (Read 2737 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0702
« on: January 06, 2009, 10:08:56 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0702
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »
Pure viewing enjoyment in this episode.

I always enjoy Quentin's response when Judith offers him the $1,000, or even $1,500, to get out.  Poor thing, she has scrimped and saved for who knows how long to put together that $1,000 - and to Quentin it's nothing.

I saw eight spikes to Barnabas's bangs and side hair today, looking at him from the side.  Symmetry demands that there would be four more on the other side, so that makes a round dozen.  Or maybe a spiked dozen.  At any rate, he was resplendent with spikes today.

I loved Judith's pink dress.  Judith got a lot of nice dresses, as far as I can remember, and I'm looking forward to seeing them.

It had to have been fun for Jonathan Frid, Grayson Hall, and Thayer David to play the scene in the Old House today.  Two episodes ago they were Barnabas, Julia, and Stokes - modern and civilized.  Today they were a vampire and two freeloading gypsies.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:13:03 PM »
i'm really on the fence with 1897...

i'm watching the quentin storyline which means 1897 is coming up fast.i always like to have a storyline going to watch when i have some down time or need some visual comfort food.

however 1897 is sooo long and unweildy i'm not sure i can commit to it again right now.

should i go back and watch laura collins or jump ahead and do leviathan or parallel-time?decisions. [snow_undecided]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
I love watching Quentin and Judith battling it out, as well as him and Edward. Quentin's hostile relationships with his siblings are just one of many aspects I enjoy about 1897.

Also loved Quentin's interaction with Jamison. We get insight into their relationship and understand why Quentin's spirit was so obsessed with David.

Also loved Magda's attitude towards Barnabas. I can understand why she was so upset with him bossing her and Sandor around. She and Sandor WERE given permission to live there and now here comes this stranger saying where one could sleep and where one couldn't, what they could and could not do when in her eyes, he had no right.

I'll say it again. I love 1897!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
mscbryk, here's a suggestion: watch 1897 through the end of[spoiler]Laura.[/spoiler]Then watch that character's other appearance, and compare and contrast.  And then write a ten-page essay for us.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:57:17 AM »
I absolutely love the expression on Grayson Hall's face in this Magda moment from this ep:

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 05:31:32 AM »
Grrrrreat caption of Magda/Grayson, MB! You could tell by these episodes that Grayson was so ready to sink her teeth into this fun and juicy new role, after much time playing the put-upon Dr. Julia Hoffman. Episodes featuring Magda were always entertaining, but she sure did get manhandled quite a bit throughout 1897 (by Quentin, Barnabas, and later Trask, Petofi and King Johnny among others).

I too am on the fence about committing to the entire 1897 saga, but perhaps it's actually a great time to escape to the past (the 19th century), since the real world seems scarier by comparison.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 08:24:43 AM »
Well said, Sandor.  [snow_kiss]  I'm pretty sure Magda had just been Q-manhandled when the image was captured.

A very cool avatar could be made from that pic.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 06:18:45 PM »
Hey MSC, I would say go back and re-watch Laura '66-'67. 

Having read quite a few of your posts over the years, I think Laura will provide the needed visual comfort food.  Plus, Vicki has some really great scenes throughout!

cheers, G.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 06:21:58 PM »
MB!  You know I SWOON over that capture of Magda! 

I now really understand why Magda was Grayson's all time favorite role on DS.

G.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »
And I'm not surprised to hear that it was.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2009, 11:03:50 PM »
Barnabas seemed to enjoy being a vampire again as there was no hand wringing about his condition and he  seemed to relish attacking Sandor with dripping blood about the mouth and threatening Magda. 
The revelation that Quentin and Judith always hated each other and the games they play make one wonder how they grew up.  And just how is Quentin ruining Jamison?   The way that  Grayson Hall  said Vampire was very intense, actually the whole episode has and intense feeling about it.  Except for some excerpts here and there, I have not seen anything beyond  1968 except in the original viewing.  I remember that 1897 seemed to last forever and that I wanted to find out what was happening to the  present day family. [spoiler]Now I know that the story never really focuses on the present day family again[/spoiler]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2009, 11:40:48 PM »
[spoiler]DS does go back to the present day after 1897.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:06 AM »
[spoiler]but not for long and as I remember the leviaton time was mainly about the boring antique shop and the characters who live at Collinwood never have much to do again [/spoiler]
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:58:45 PM »
This was the first time that a male vampire victim was bitten on the neck by a male vampire. [milestone] Too bad we didn't get to see it.

This episode also featured the first appearances of Judith, who looked beautiful in her pink dress and perfectly coiffed hair (pieces); and Jamison, who looked handsome with his slicked-back hair and long robe.  [milestone] It's interesting that in 1897, Edward was the oldest, when in real life, Joan was older than Louis. I agree with others who posted here that it was quite obvious that Quentin and Jamison were very close and it makes sense that the ghost of Quentin would be attracted to David. It was cute when Quentin gave Jamison the boat - a very endearing scene. [snow_happy]

I love Magda! [snow_cheesy] She was such a fun character - a smart cookie who wasn't afraid to speak her mind. The scene at the end, when she pointed at Barnabas and yelled, "Vampire!" was fabulous! [clap2] I think, with the dark makeup and wig, Grayson looked younger than she did when she played Julia. (I think Joan looked younger, too.) I agree with Grayson: Magda is my favorite character that she played on DS. [thumb]

You could tell that Quentin was the "baby" of the family; he was very immature, loved to push people's buttons, and got away with a lot of mischief. [snow_rolleyes] Like Magda, he was also not afraid to speak his mind. Quentin reminds me of a belligerent child. It's so fun to watch! I love his impish grin and his sexy voice. [luv]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]