Author Topic: Off Topic-Julie Kenner's Demon Hunting Soccer Mom Series  (Read 660 times)

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Off Topic-Julie Kenner's Demon Hunting Soccer Mom Series
« on: January 03, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
When I was handed the first book in the Demon Hunting Soccer Mom series, I never thought I'd actually wind up reading it.  I figured I'd read a chapter or two to be polite and give it back.  After chapter one, I decided to read 2, then by 3 I WAS HOOKED.  If you've not read the series, it's about a character that bears a suspicious similarity to what Buffy might be like when she's in her late 30s.  I won't go into great detail since this is off topic, but Julie Kenner captures the essence of what made Buffy great, a blend of light horror and sly humor.  Rather than simply create a clever Buffy clone, she adds to the mythos by exploring new territory.  Since I'm not in the target audience, I won't criticize her for gettting bogged down a bit too much in the mudane details of being a wife and mother.  I sometimes find that a tad tedious, but as I said, I'm outside the scope of the mainstream of her readership. In the end though, I find these books to be page turners and recommend them highly.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Off Topic-Julie Kenner's Demon Hunting Soccer Mom Series
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
Thanks for the tip, Doctor and K9!  I know the Buffyholics on here will appreciate it.

As a side note, I don't understand the whole concept of "soccer mom."  I think I need someone along the lines of Susan Sontag to explain it to me.  The first time I ever heard the phrase was some years ago when a Japanese gentleman of my acquaintance, a former film critic who now works at a very prestigious clinic in town, stated in a newspaper interview that his dearest ambition in life was to become a "Somerville soccer mom."  To quote Miss Winters, I just don't understand.

Thanks to a certain "failin'" political candidate, I now expect to hear the phrase every other minute in 2009.  Ah well.

I wonder, to return to topic, how Angelique would have fared had she attempted a new career as a "soccer mom."  Images swim before my eyes:  "Britney, you will drop that and RETURN TO YOUR PRIUS!"

cheers, G.