Author Topic: OT The death of VHS  (Read 7622 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: OT The death of VHS
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 04:51:48 AM »
I don't know that I'd say that EP on a DVD is better than VHS. I'd say it's about like VHS in SP.

Normally my friend only records the HD channels, so that probably makes the difference in EP.  [snow_smiley]

I have a DVR, so I've never actually recorded directly to DVD. And when I make DVDs from whatever I've recorded, I tend to use flexible recording.

Online Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2009, 08:09:13 AM »
I've recently discovered that a lot of VCRs these days don't come with a tuner, which means you can't tape one channel while watching another!!!
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »
When you attach a digital converter box, you get the same result.  The VCR (any VCR) won't be able to change channels between programs you want to tape, unless you get a special converter box that does switch channels, and the standard ones don't.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 04:29:00 AM »
another reason to hang on to vhs is the incompatibility with homemade dvds. they may play back fine on ur machine but if u give it to someone else, it may not play at all or sometimes they play for an hour and then the picture freezes,the dvds shuts off or goes back to the menu. also if u use a dvd rw disc u also can only play it back on the machine it was made on. if u want to lend it to someone else u have to finalize it. if u do that then u cant record over it again later. you can donate your old vhs tapes to a goodwill store. goodwill stores are also a great place to purchase an old vcr if u need one. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 11:14:23 PM »
Gothick..I am one of those hipsters who still owns an turntable and its a cool one. I can hook it up to the computer and convert LPS to MP3.  However, sometimes I just love to listen to records.  If they are in good condtion they have this organic sound you cannot  get from a CD.  I don't really know how to explain it.  At music person as myself would understand.   I also bought two VCRS because I am afraid they will be hard to find.  They are backups for when mine dies. I do have a DVD burner though and am converting most everything I have tapped to DVD.  :)  I love it!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 06:12:00 AM »
"Analog is warmer."-- Paul McCartney
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »
I've read that VCR's will still be around for a long time.  They still have not come up with something suitable, in the way of DVD's, to put a disc in, record, watch, erase, and start the whole process again.  Many satellite companies now have the ability to "tape" programs into one's system, but not everyone has satellite (scores of millions don't - I don't; I have cable).  When DS was on Sci-Fi, I taped it every day and watched it later at a convenient time (and fast-forwarded through the commercials).  I used the same tape for years, recording, watching, rewinding, re-recording.  You can't do that with a DVD player (and that's a good term for it - all it does is play instead of work).

Actually they have come up with that Gerard. On my Disc burner I use a Rewritable disc every day to record Touched By An Angel (Go ahead  and snicker) and then I delete it and  rerecord  on  the  same  disc   the   next   day.  I  always  have   a  g ood  cry!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »
On my Disc burner I use a Rewritable disc every day to record Touched By An Angel (Go ahead  and snicker)

And how long does it take for your puffy red eyes to return to normal?  [snow_cry]

No really, I swear!, I'm not snickering!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 10:57:08 AM »
It depends on how moving the episode is. Some times I get teary eyed and sometimes I have an all out cry.  I love supernatural shows of many kinds.  I know a lot of people probably think it is chessy, heck I did.  However, there are some of the best guest stars  in TV that come on that show. Well came it during it's 9 year run. I am a beleiver in a Higher Power, Energy, God, whatever so it gives me lots of hope in this crazy world!!  I am horrible off topic!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
Actually they have come up with that Gerard. On my Disc burner I use a Rewritable disc every day to record Touched By An Angel (Go ahead  and snicker) and then I delete it and  rerecord  on  the  same  disc   the   next   day.  I  always  have   a  g ood  cry!

And then you come back to "Touched By the Devil": aka DS.   Yin and yang and all that.   By the way you seem to be hiccupping between words especially toward the end there, I'd see a hiccup doctor immediately if I were you, or your computer should.   If it were you.

Online Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 06:50:08 AM »
My VCR just broke down and I was beginning to think it would be impossible to find one that comes with a tuner so that you can record a different channel than the one you're watching.  No one seemed to have that any more.  I finally was able to find out about a couple that come also with a DVD recorder.  While that is very nice, I REALLY didn't want to spend that much.

I'm glad to see confirmation that one can record over on a DVD, since now that I have it, I hope to use it that way!!  I haven't tried the DVD side of it yet, just got the tapes working so I wouldn't miss anything.
Josette

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 06:54:10 AM »
Good.  I had a chance for cheap backup VCRs a couple years ago and let it go, mini-VCRs for $15.  I had a close call a few days ago where I thought the present VCR had died...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 07:23:55 AM »
Yes my keyboard is being really weird Magnus.  And Josette, I hope that your DVD recorder will support the RW DVD discs.  Some don't! Does it use -R DVD or +R DVDS?  I would just make sure it does use them.  Mine uses -R and - RW only.  The next one I get though is gonna people able to use them all!

Online Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2009, 07:30:17 AM »
Thanks for the info, Taeylor.  I asked the salesman about disks and he showed me the different kinds.  I'm assuming I can use any of them.  The instructions tell about the different kinds and which ones can or can't do which things, so I think they should all work!!
Josette

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2009, 08:12:41 AM »
my dvd recorder (purchased several years ago)only records on dvd+r or dvd+rw discs yet it will playback +r or -r.  i didnt know at the time of purchase that my older dvd player will not playback the +r format. it can be very confusing at 1st and i dont know why they made these 2 formats. i see no difference in the picture quality. i notice most of the recorders sold today record in both -r or +r formats.