Author Topic: Darkness at Blaisedon  (Read 825 times)

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
Darkness at Blaisedon
« on: June 23, 2002, 03:55:04 AM »
I just viewed a clip of this video from MPI's site.

Has anyone who's seen this care to comment?  Is it worth getting?  It seems awfully derivative of DS at first blush...
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Darkness at Blaisedon
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2002, 04:34:47 AM »
The film was shown in its entirety at last year's Dark Shadows Festival, in remembrance of Louis Edmonds. I had never seen it before. It was good, but for me, one of those films I will see 1 time and probably not again. Yes, it was similar to Dark Shadows,  it reminded me of one his roles.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2002, 05:09:56 AM »
It's fun to view once in a while. . .I have the MPI VHS video.  For what it is worth, I actually saw it for the first time when it originally aired in 1969.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2002, 07:31:22 AM »
I bought this.  It's um, flawed.  One of those things that could have been a lot better than it was.  Here's the plot:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Marj Dusay has inherited a dark old house that belonged to a great aunt or something.  Place has a reputation for being haunted and IIRC she has had a hard time selling it (she's broke and needs the cash).  So she goes to Psychic Detective Kerwin Matthews.  There's supposed to be some sparks between her and Matthews, but he's got this assistant (very much like a Michael Stroka character) and frankly there were more vibes between the asst. and Matthews than with Dusay (who nonetheless is lovely and gives a nice performance).  

So they all troop off to Blaisedon.  Thayer David is the creepy caretaker who (very much in the manner of a Scooby Doo character tries to warn them off).  There's a striking portrait of Nicholas Blaise (Louis Edmonds) and Dusay seems drawn to it.  As you may have surmised from the previews, the Dusay character looks just like someone from way back when.  And then typical old dark house hijinks ensue.  

It's a lot like a Barbara Michaels novel, but not nearly so well done.  Lots of familiar DS elements.  It could have been better, that's the shame of it.

Thayer David and Louis Edmonds are not used much.  It's mostly Dusay and Matthews' show.  Some interesting ideas, okay execution, but not something that you'll be watching again and again, I'm thinking.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga