Author Topic: Graduation Day  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Graduation Day
« on: June 22, 2002, 11:05:13 AM »
I started a new topic in order to write about ProfStokes' high school graduation because, unlike the well-deserved string of congratulatory messages, this one isn't going to be off-topic.  It's my sincere hope that you'll enjoy this story.

It struck me, as I drove to the commencement yesterday, what a tremendous responsibility I was undertaking.  Oh, I absolutely consider her a friend and felt honored that she allowed me to be there to share the event and hear her salutatory, but also, considering all the support she's given to DS fandom through its message boards, various round robins (the girl can WRITE!), etc., I realized I was representing all the online friendships she has cultivated-- the rest of you who could only be there in spirit.  I happened to bring this up to ProfStokes' parents and they agreed heartily, but then they mentioned something that I didn't understand (???) at the time-- they said I would probably be the only audience member that would completely understand her speech.  Hmmm.

It wasn't surprising that her name is listed all over the program as an honor student, or that she placed second in a class of over 500 students.  It also wasn't surprising to see her seem both commanding and at ease when she took her place at the podium and introduced herself by saying "My name is..."  to a crowd that sat in rapt attention.  But immediately afterwards she began to speak of the journey that was beginning-- a journey that (c'mon, say it with me) would link her past with her future.  My jaw must've been on the floor at that point, but wait... it gets even better.

There were many, many lines from the series, such as one about the people that would soon fill the days and nights of her tomorrows, and naturally there was a reference to the Phoenix that rises from the ashes.  By the time she thanked her parents, family, teachers, AND HER COUSINS FROM ENGLAND, I swear I was laughing and crying at the same time.  The more I think about it, the MORE I wish you all could've been there, and I recommend you request she send you the text if you haven't already done so because just listing the DS references here wouldn't do her speech justice.  It's no accident that these lines are classic and the most memorable on the show: They're fabulous (but if you're Dan Curtis, she was only PARAPHRASING, I swear! ;)), and ProfStokes seamlessly weaved them into a story about the journey ahead for her class of 2002-- the uncertainties they would face and the important role the past plays in their lives, and these are, of course, the same themes that are discussed here daily.  Yet I'm sure that no one else, save for her family and myself, knew she was paying tribute to the phenomenon that brought her together with all of us; to the rest of the people that were stock still as she spoke (including the mayor of Los Angeles, woohoo!), ProfStokes was delivering a poignant and poetic speech that reflected her intelligence, optimism, classiness, inner beauty, articulate manner, and a wisdom beyond her years that we've seen her demonstrate time and time again.

Congratulations, ProfStokes!

(I'm including a few photos though my scanner made them fuzzy; sorry about that.)

ProfStokes at the podium.  To her immediate left is Mayor Kenneth Hahn

An unplanned visitor at the ceremony.

Shortly after this last photo, Spidey learned that you've got to put at least as much planning into your exit as you do your entrance. :)

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Graduation Day
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2002, 04:53:32 PM »
I should think that Dan Curtis should be as proud as we are! Thanks for sharing with us.
Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline Bette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2002, 06:43:40 PM »
Many thanks to Midnite and Profstokes for making us all a part of that graduation.  Congratulations Profstokes, and I would love to see the text of your speech if possible.  BTW, Mayor Hahn is certainly old enough--I wonder if HE recognized the references ;D

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2002, 07:27:40 PM »
Midnite, what a wonderful post. And to the Prof -- again congratulations!

Hey Midnite, if I go back to school and learn to be smart, will you come to my gradumacation?

[shadow=red,left,300]--Mark[/shadow]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2002, 07:30:44 PM »
Midnite - how nice that you were there and thank you for providing us with this wonderful account and the pictures.  More congrats, Prof. Stokes, that speech sounds absolutely incredible!! :)  :)  :)
Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2002, 08:04:42 PM »
Hey Midnite, if I go back to school and learn to be smart, will you come to my gradumacation?

Hee hee!!  What a relief cuz I assumed I'd never get another invitation by anybody here again for fear I'd bring a camera and post the whole thing on the internet.  ;)

BTW, to show what a small world it is, ProfStokes graduated from the same high school as my brother, sister, best friend, and even my dad.  :)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2002, 09:53:16 PM »
From the Farewell Class of 2002 edition of the High School paper (her [well-chosen] username substituted for obvious reasons), and still not off-topic.... :D

ProfStokes Brings New Twist to Campfire Stories

ProfStokes plans on pursuing an unorthodox yet intriguing career into the paranormal and supernatural phenomenon.

Ghostly apparition may scare some,
but they are the future of ProfStokes.

ProfStokes believes in ghosts.  Not only is the _HS salutatorian willing to admit her faith in the paranormal, she is actually planning to pursue a career as a paranormal psychologist.
    ProfStokes' interest in the supernatural began as a elementary school student, when she read a book called "World's Most Spine Tingling True Ghost Stories."
    She was intrigued by the true tales, and began to explore other documentation of supernatural phenomenon.  The more she read, the more she became convinced of the validity of reports of paranormal beings.
    She looks forward to working in a paranormal research facility (think X-Files or Ghostbusters), which generally emphasize psychic ability and the study of paranormal beings.
    ProfStokes' favorite parts of high school were hanging out with friends, and relaxing and talking at nutrition and lunch.  She cautions underclassmen about getting too wrapped up in academics.
    "I'd like to see a group perhaps similar to Impact, like an Overachievers Anonymous, that deals with their peers and learn coping strategies.  I could have had so much more fun in high school if I hadn't been so wrapped up in academics."
    ProfStokes also nurtures an interest in language, especially French.  She cites her French class as her favorite course in high school, a place where she could relax after torturous geometry.
    ProfStokes would like to expand her language knowledge, and possibly study Russian and Portuguese.  ProfStokes accrued enough high school credits to graduate a semester early and retain her position as salutatorian, a seemingly impossible feat.
    She now attends ___ College, which allows her more free time to focus on her hobby, writing fiction.  She has indulged in her two passions, reading and writing, since she was a child.  Her favorite genre is horror, and in five years she would like to be supporting herself by selling novels.
    When ProfStokes isn't absorbing stories of the paranormal or weaving tales of her own, she is watching "Dark Shadows," a supernatural soap opera of the 1960s.
    She also participates in discussions surrounding this cultural milestone online, and was recently invited to write for the Dark Shadows Virtual Series, a longstanding writing club run by fans of the show.
    When asked about her favorite ghost story, ProfStokes tells a haunting tale of an African witch doctor that strangled natives of his village.  When he dies after being struck by lightening (it severs his hands), mysterious murders begin in the village.
    The victims are strangled, but the extent of their injuries requires superhuman strength.  Eyewitness accounts name the culprit, a tree that strangles its victims with its branches.
    The tree is cut down, and inside the trunk, the skeletal remains of the hands of the witch doctor are found.
    The skill with which ProfStokes tells this tale sends chills up the spines of the listeners.  This literary genius is fascinating and talented, and she just might convince you that ghosts are real.

BY KATIE TAYLOR
STAFF WRITER

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2002, 10:17:29 PM »
 Wow! Now I really feel as if I were actually there to celebrate Prof.Stokes' special day with her!   How very nice of you Midnite to attend her graduation and then be able to share it with all of us!  I have read her graduation speech and I must say that I was equally impressed! Thanks again to Midnite & Prof.Stokes for sharing these wonderful memories with us! :)            

"Calamity Jane"

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2002, 11:58:03 PM »
Way to go Prof. S!  [and thanky Midnite for the great post!] 8)

How 'bout a bumper sticker:

Our Honour Student is
[size=8]THE Professor![/size]

Three Cheers,
Ringo [PROUD to be an English Cousin!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2002, 12:28:29 AM »
Wow!

Thank you, Midnite, for this stirring description of our own ProfStokes' graduation day, her salutory speech, and the mention of us, her "cousins."  I have to admit, I teared up reading this, and I'm so proud of our talented, brilliant ProfStokes I could just burst!

I wonder how many others in that audience "got" those references?  I probably would have been blubbering my eyes out, both from joy, memories of my own youth and the gleeful knowledge that I KNEW everything she was talking about!

All the best to you, ProfStokes, and again, many thanks to Midnite for sharing the graduation in words and photos with all of us!

Love, Robin

Offline Tanis

• Full Poster
  • I Love Dark Shadows
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2002, 12:33:20 AM »
Thank you for taking us along on a very special day.

Tanis
There are no strangers, only friends we've yet to meet.

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2002, 02:14:02 AM »
Thanks for the graduation summary Midnite  :D

Prof. Stokes, please forward me on a copy of your speech. :)  Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2002, 03:13:15 AM »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the graduation experience with us Midnite, it's great that you got to be there. ProfStokes, I printed out your speech posted in another group, and put it with the Commencement announcement. I will save it always. Good luck in your spooky pursuits!  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2002, 03:20:38 AM »
Oh, my goodness!  I never expected anything like this, and I'm reading now WTIMES.  I'm just so touched! [blshy]

If you will permit me to be sentimental for a bit...My last years of high school were pretty tough in several ways, but fortunately those dark times coincided with my discovery of the DS fandom on the web, and the numerous, wonderful people who form that group.  I truly do consider you all members of my extended family.  Your kindness, wit, creativity, and intelligence have not only gotten me through the rough spots but have really enriched my life.  I'm so glad that I was able to salute you, however cryptically.  

When I was told that I was to give a speech at the graduation, the first idea to come to me was Victoria Winters's introduction, "My journey is beginning..." It just felt perfect for the occasion in so many ways.  As for her, a journey is also beginning for us.  Also, I started watching DS while in my freshman year of high school, and by the time my last semester of high school finished, I'd seen the show all the way through.  So, in my memory, high school and DS will always be intertwined, just as they were in the speech.  Furthermore, I was something of an outsider in high school, (and felt especially isolated because nobody else had ever even heard of DS  :o) so I thought it would be fun to turn the tables with a very select, inside joke.  ;)

Being the only DS fan in the school for the past 3.5 years did have its advantages, I suppose.  Since nobody else watched the show, nobody (not even the teachers who screened my speech) caught on to what I was doing.  ;D  (However, I didn't want to arouse too many suspicions by asking the band to play the best of Bob Cobert in the background.  ;) )  Not only the speech, but the ceremony itself was reminiscent of DS, complete with bloopers: Spider-Man filled the role of the scene-stealing stagehand, and our school principal twice trumped up the year of our class.

My special thanks to Midnite for all that you've done: attending the ceremony, posting this message/picture gallery, helping me with my avatar, moderating the boards, being a friend...

Thank you all for being my friends!

ProfStokes  (who has now reached the end of her second big speech)

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2002, 07:54:47 AM »
Not only the speech, but the ceremony itself was reminiscent of DS, complete with bloopers: Spider-Man filled the role of the scene-stealing stagehand, and our school principal twice trumped up the year of our class.

Hey, at least the Mayor didn't turn into a giant snake and do the ascension thing.

Or did he...? :)
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...