Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0692  (Read 1632 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0692
« on: December 09, 2008, 07:35:07 PM »

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0692
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:38 AM »
I wonder if the sponsor during the commercial after Sabrina was wheeled out happened to be "Miss Clairol"?! "Does she or doesn't she? Only her hairdresser (and the werewolf) know for sure."

I really enjoyed the Liz/Julia/Stokes scene, and of course, the final scene with Chris, Julia & the Stuarts. Kids in my neighborhood were freaked out after this episode, since we'd heard the tale about one's hair turning white from fright, but Sabrina was one seriously messed up chick, from head to toe!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 08:53:24 AM »
I don't much like Ned Stuart, but I can't help feeling sympathy for him.  The evidence strongly indicates that Chris was involved in the event that left Sabrina in a long-term state of shock, and Ned has been living with that reality for two years.  (Can Sabrina feed herself?)  It's no wonder he's so unpleasant to Chris.

Julia must have felt as though she were trying to put some backbone into a down quilt, when she was talking to Chris in the cottage.  I suppose that, even though I don't like Chris much, he is given a consistent characterization: forever incapable of decisive action.  If Angelique had turned Barnabas into a werewolf instead of a vampire, he would have responded differently to the situation from the way Chris did.

I love that not-so-secret panel in the drawing room.  It's so handy!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 06:06:29 PM »
The evidence strongly indicates that Chris was involved in the event that left Sabrina in a long-term state of shock, and Ned has been living with that reality for two years.  (Can Sabrina feed herself?)

I wonder what Ned could be guessing that Chris did to put her in a catatonic state or possibly knows.  I can't comment on the super sudden white hair because, short of putting chemicals on her hair or radiating it, it's just not possible.  Oh wait, I just did.

It's no wonder he's so unpleasant to Chris.

That's a very kind way of describing it.  What we've seen so far seems more like the behavior of a brazen stalker.

I suppose that, even though I don't like Chris much, he is given a consistent characterization: forever incapable of decisive action.
Good point about his indecisiveness.  But I love Chris, and appreciate Don Briscoe's skills more with every viewing.  And any view of him is something to appreciate, too.   [santa_tongue]

If Angelique had turned Barnabas into a werewolf instead of a vampire, he would have responded differently to the situation from the way Chris did.

With that scenario, at least Barnabas would know the cause of his painful transformations.  Maybe one of the reasons Chris is wobbly is that he's suffering from a huge case of "Why me?"  He's baffled about why they started, why they're now happening randomly, and why someone wants to kill him.  And Barnabas had Ben and later Willie, and Quentin had Beth.  Chris had no one to confide in or help him until Barnabas and Julia came into his life.  Or perhaps he did and eventually ate them.   [santa_rolleyes]

This ep is a huge letdown for me after the last one, but fortunately there's lots there to talk about.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 08:17:00 PM »
I can't comment on the super sudden white hair because, short of putting chemicals on her hair or radiating it, it's just not possible.  Oh wait, I just did.

It does happen, hair turning white, but happens at the root and then has to grow out before it can be seen, right?
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 10:23:00 PM »
Yes, exactly.

There's a condition that causes the sudden loss of pigmented hair, pretty much leaving the rest alone in a person that has a mix of both colored and white hair, which makes the hair appear to suddenly go white (or grey).  But with that shock of white hair on Sabrina, this can't be the case.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »
This was the first time Sabrina, and Lisa Richards, appeared on DS. [milestone] Yes, indeed, Sabrina certainly did look much different from her picture!

I'm with Midnite - I like Chris. He was such a tragic character, though. [santa_cry] I don't blame him for being afraid to answer the phone when Ned called. [santa_shocked] I'm glad that Julia was able to convince him to see Ned and Sabrina. It was great that Chris had Julia to lean on and confide in, and that she went with him so that he wouldn't have to face them alone. [hug] Sabrina seemed like a zombie when she stood up and pointed at Chris. The way she fell reminds me of the way [spoiler] the  M-113 Creature from the Star Trek episode: "The Man Trap" fell when Dr. McCoy killed it. [santa_wink][/spoiler]

I commented about this before, but it bears repeating again. Elizabeth looked beautiful in this episode. I love her hair (or was it a wig) that way. [gorgeous]

I like how Prof. Stokes took charge and decided to interview everyone separately. I agree with Robin: It's too bad we didn't get to watch those interview scenes. [santa_rolleyes] It sure was lucky that he walked into the drawing room just in the nick of time to save Elizabeth from the floating hand. That was a pretty scary moment! [ghost_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 07:08:58 AM »
The acting in this episode seemed especially compelling, especially from Don, Grayson and Joan.  I guess good, thoughtful writing will bring out the best in an actor.  I particularly liked the way Don conveyed Chris' fear of seeing Sabrina again not knowing what she would say or do, or even what state she would be in.  I also liked the way Julia made him face his fears in a firm but sympathetic way.

One thing I don't understand though:  after two years, don't you think Ned would at least have had the decency to dye Sabrina's hair back to its original color?  Maybe he left it gray for maximum effect should he one day find Chris, but it still seems rather cruel to keep her looking like such a freak for all that time.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 09:32:06 AM »
As a woman with virgin hair (sweet 53 and never been dyed), I am seeking expert information here.

If Sabrina's hair is dyed, how often will it need to be touched up or re-dyed?

Do we trust Ned to do the dyeing, the touching up, or the re-dyeing?  Come to think of it, I'm sure Ned would happily volunteer to touch up Sabrina, but is that something we want to see on national TV?

How much does it cost to get a hairdresser to dye, touch up, or re-dye the hair of a person in Sabrina's condition?

How big a tip should Ned give the hairdresser?

If you were a hairdresser dyeing Sabrina's hair while Ned Stuart hovered over her, would any tip be big enough?

Would you want to put on plastic gloves before accepting a tip from Ned Stuart?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 10:11:33 AM »
 [snow_laugh] [rofl10]  [laughing1] [stfl]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:42 PM »
I wondered if it would bring a call to the police for a guy to bring a catatonic woman in a wheelchair into a beauty shop to have her hair dyed.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor