Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0691  (Read 1553 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0691
« on: December 08, 2008, 11:09:47 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0691
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 09:57:42 AM »
Golly what a chilling ending to the episode.  It was written by Ralph Ellis.  Nice job.

The last time I watched this episode, the public outcry over pedophile priests was at its height in Boston, and I kept thinking of that through this whole storyline.  This time around, I recently was driving around Danvers, formerly known as Salem Village, specifically looking at houses associated with the witchcraft trials, so today naturally I was thinking of 1692 as I watched David and Amy.  We have no doubt that there were no witches in Salem at that time - but the Salem children had to have been behaving like David and Amy.  What will I be thinking of the next time I watch this episode?

I wonder where Barnabas and Julia were when Elizabeth didn't find them at the Old House.  Barnabas had been so concerned about what was happening to the children - and now he's nowhere to be found!  Maybe he and Julia were at the cottage with Chris.  But where was Carolyn?

David was terribly brave, telling Quentin he wanted out.  He had to know by this time that it was futile - but he made his stand for the side of good.

Mrs. Johnson's collars are always worth a look.  Rather nice lace today.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:21:02 AM »
Quentin is certainly one of the most menacing characters on the series and as an adult who has worked with children who suffered sexual abuse, I can see parallels in the storyline.  Thank goodness that Liz finally woke up and saw that the children are possessed.  Her reaction and the voiceover is one I well remember from this storyline.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:52:42 AM »
I absolutely love this ep.  Everything about it is perfection.

The sudden silence and its aftermath give me goosebumps every time.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:26:06 AM »
I absolutely love this ep.  Everything about it is perfection.

I totally agree. This and Ep #690 are two of my all-time favorite DS eps.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 06:47:18 PM »
I agree that this was a great episode. Hearing Quentin's laughter along with the repossessed David's was truly chilling.

I too am glad that Elizabeth now realizes that something IS wrong with the children....she was almost (but not quite) as bad as Roger when it came to David...she fell for his trick with the Mr. Juggins dummy hook, line and sinker.

I almost thought that Maggie's nightmare was going to come true when we saw Quentin's ghost with a sash preparing to strangle her. Thank goodness Mrs. Johnson came in when she did. David and Amy were both too terrified to stop him even though they did protest.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 01:13:29 AM »
Hearing Quentin's laughter along with the repossessed David's.....

I just pictured guys in jumpsuits carrying David away on a forklift, with Roger swearing the check's in the mail...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 04:41:10 AM »
ROTFL! That's too funny, Magnus. [santa_thumb]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 10:37:41 AM »
Wow! [wow] What an exciting episode! This was the first time that Quentin's music and laughter were heard throughout the whole house, and the first time the house sounded like a tomb with no noise at all. [milestone]

It was really chilling when David and Amy were hysterical, running around in circles and screaming for Quentin to stop. They were very frightened, and frightening at the same time! David H. and Denise did excellent jobs - great acting! [clap2] All Hell was breaking loose, and then... silence! Ooh! Loved those scenes! When David and Quentin were both laughing at the same time, it was really scary! [ghost_shocked] I bet David S. and David H. really enjoyed laughing like that. [santa_thumb] It's so strange that a hearty laugh could be so scary! [santa_rolleyes]

It was strange to see Elizabeth playing the "doubting adult" role instead of Roger.
I wonder where Barnabas and Julia were...  Maybe he and Julia were at the cottage with Chris.  But where was Carolyn?
I agree that Barnabas and Julia could have been at the cottage with Chris. I also wondered where Carolyn was... and Roger, too.

David was terribly brave, telling Quentin he wanted out.
Yes, indeed, David was brave to stand up to Quentin!

When David and Amy were "passed out", it seemed to me that they were marionette puppets, and Quentin let go of the strings so they would go limp. With all the energy that was expelled by the child actors, I bet they had no trouble sleeping that night! [ghost_sleep]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 06:58:54 AM »
David's hair made him look so maniacal.  First class episode all the way!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:15:33 PM »
I so agree about David's hair. And as I said, this and Ep #690 are two of my all-time favorite eps. And as Midnite said, Ralph Ellis worked perfection. It's such a shame that he didn''t write more DS eps.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »
i just watched this episode again and i agree it's as close to perfection as the series gets.
it's in the pantheon of my top dozen or so favorite eps.

there are times when i'm watching and i'm aware of the fact that these were,after all,just actors who showed up for work and read the scripts that were written and handed to them.
there are other times when i lose track of that and become so caught up with the sweep of it that it approaches something "real" if that makes sense.this episode and much of this storyline approach that for me.

that it prominently featured three of my favorite actresses...joan bennett,clarice blackburn and kathryn leigh scott...made it all that much more dreamy.liz and mrs.johnson clutching each other in fear as the music swells...goosebumps!
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.