Author Topic: Malpractice  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Malpractice
« on: June 21, 2002, 06:24:52 PM »
Okay....where do I file the malpractice complaint?  Whom do we tell about Julia Hoffman's complete lack of professionalism?

There's an unconcious man on the floor....SHE comments that she's not sure if he'll LIVE!!!

And then proceeds to have a long chat with Barnabas about Adam and Vicky and running away together.  ::)

And THEN she goes to have a chat with Vicky, while Willie and Barnabas dither about taking Joe to the hospital and who does Maggie love, and 'why are you always so mean to me', and AAARRRGGGGGG!!!....I could just smack all of them.

I know, I know....this goes on all the time.  But today's episode, with poor Joe just lying there on the floor (they DID put a pillow under his head!  :P) was particularly appalling.

Can't you just imagine the more experienced actors among them slapping their foreheads in frustration every time they got another page of REALLY BAD dialogue?

On the other hand, the prop manager has excellent taste....the fountain pen Nicky found in the desk drawer was lovely....is the Collinwood Auction still accepting bids?

Rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Malpractice
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 07:49:57 PM »
But RP, my dear, where do we START with Dr. Julia Hoffman's malpractice suit???  Her drug dispensal history alone makes the novel Valley of the Dolls look like an episode of Romper Room.  Then there's her use of hypnosis to promote patient memory suppression, her shameless false diagnosis in the cases of Maggie Evans and Sabrina Stuart (and don't you have to suspect that those two were just the tip of the iceberg???), AND the infamous Dave Woodard hypo!

Still, the more shamelessly she behaves, the more I luv her!

A day without Julia is like a day without sunshine!

Happy Solstice back atcha, RP!

Steve

Accomplice_To_Cass

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 10:07:54 PM »
Okay....where do I file the malpractice complaint?  Whom do we tell about Julia Hoffman's complete lack of professionalism?

There's an unconcious man on the floor....SHE comments that she's not sure if he'll LIVE!!!

And then proceeds to have a long chat with Barnabas about Adam and Vicky and running away together.  ::)

And THEN she goes to have a chat with Vicky, while Willie and Barnabas dither about taking Joe to the hospital and who does Maggie love, and 'why are you always so mean to me', and AAARRRGGGGGG!!!....I could just smack all of them.

I know, I know....this goes on all the time.  But today's episode, with poor Joe just lying there on the floor (they DID put a pillow under his head!  :P) was particularly appalling.

Can't you just imagine the more experienced actors among them slapping their foreheads in frustration every time they got another page of REALLY BAD dialogue?

On the other hand, the prop manager has excellent taste....the fountain pen Nicky found in the desk drawer was lovely....is the Collinwood Auction still accepting bids?

Rainey

Hmm Nice Observations..I never thought about that...:)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2002, 10:51:24 PM »
Hey there RP! Just wanted to let you know I agree with you 100 percent about the malpractice thing.I noticed it immediately when Julia allowed Joe to lay there on the floor while she and Barnabas had a conversation.I was like what?..no she isn't...just letting him lay there!...My mouth was hanging wide open.At least she made sure that he made it to the hospital. :D...Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • aka Grayson Hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2002, 12:15:01 AM »
Hey there RP! Just wanted to let you know I agree with you 100 percent about the malpractice thing.I noticed it immediately when Julia allowed Joe to lay there on the floor while she and Barnabas had a conversation.I was like what?..no she isn't...just letting him lay there!...My mouth was hanging wide open.At least she made sure that he made it to the hospital. :D...Adra

That was my reaction too! I'm glad someone else brought this up.  I'm not sure if it would be malpractice or negligence though  ?!? .  I also wonder if their handling of the situation in some way reflected their feelings about Joe. It certainly did where Willie was concerned. At least he was frank about it.
"Aren't you Joan Bennett?"
"I used to be."

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2002, 01:16:49 AM »
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
and what about all these people that she had "pronounced" dead....lets see....barnabas and adam and carolyn(yes, there was perhaps extinuating circumstances) but with liz, it was malpractice to the max...even when liz tells all that everyone will think she is dead, the good doc "pronounces" and they toss her in that special coffin(good thing she was stubborn enough to want that type coffin) but, if you ever need a sedative, you know who to look for ;)
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2002, 01:32:58 AM »
There has got to be something wrong with passing out sedatives like candy...maybe Julia's the reason parents tell their children to let them look at their candy, just in case Julia gave them a sedative  ;)

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2002, 05:41:07 AM »
There has got to be something wrong with passing out sedatives like candy...maybe Julia's the reason parents tell their children to let them look at their candy, just in case Julia gave them a sedative  ;)

Vic --it was the 60s/70s . . everyone was taking pills to get them thru. . .lol!
Julia99

Offline Bj

• Junior Poster
  • I've always been quite fond of you, Liz...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2002, 08:32:31 AM »

Vic --it was the 60s/70s . . everyone was taking pills to get them thru. . .lol!

You're right.  Take a look at tv shows from that era: doctors were always prescribing sedatives -- a reflection of the times.
Jason: "There's just one thing I don't understand..."
Willie: "I didn't do it -- I swear!"

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2002, 09:14:41 AM »
Julia would've been the perfect doctor for Elvis Presley.

But give her a break!  She's a woman in love and she saw a perfect opportunity to skip outta Spookyville with the vamp that owns her malpracticing little heart.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2002, 04:51:38 PM »
Julia would've been the perfect doctor for Elvis Presley.

But give her a break!  She's a woman in love and she saw a perfect opportunity to skip outta Spookyville with the vamp that owns her malpracticing little heart.

heehee you are right scout but glad she's not my MD[eek]

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2002, 07:50:12 PM »

You're right.  Take a look at tv shows from that era: doctors were always prescribing sedatives -- a reflection of the times.

But at least in the 60s/70s, people weren't afraid to show their emotions or let them out. Now everyone just holds everything inside and represses it, which is most probably more harmful [in the long run] than taking a couple [dozen, in Julia's case lol] sedatives to calm yourself down, because at least then you get the emotions out. Holding everything inside is like shaking a can of root beer....eventually it will explode, and when it does........

......look out.

LOL But that's such an interesting observation Bj....something I'd never thought about ^.^ My ramble wasn't aimed @ u.....*sizzles* just need 2 vent i suppose
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2002, 08:12:57 PM »
But at least in the 60s/70s, people weren't afraid to show their emotions or let them out. Now everyone just holds everything inside and represses it, which is most probably more harmful [in the long run] than taking a couple [dozen, in Julia's case lol] sedatives to calm yourself down, because at least then you get the emotions out. Holding everything inside is like shaking a can of root beer....eventually it will explode, and when it does........

......look out.

Daphne,

In addition to excellent taste in TV shows ;), you have quite a head on your shoulders.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2002, 08:33:29 PM »

Rainey

Actually, Dr. Hoffman was following SOP in order to PREVENT a malpractice lawsuit.  All she would have to do is provide a misdiagnosis, accidentally scratch him with her watch while checking for a pulse, or give him a crick in the neck from lifting his head, and Mr. Haskell is on his way to easy-street.  Well, his trial-lawyer actually, who would take the major portion of the award.  Joe would have enough left-over to by a used 1961 Rambler.

Gerard

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2002, 01:00:40 AM »
Julia is a terrible doctor, of course, at least as written by the DS writers, who probably had absolutely no counsel with any real doctors and made everything up as they went along.  I still remember when Willie was hospitalized after having 5 bullets pumped into his back (by Collinsport's finest).  Dr. Woodard told Julia that if she disconnected his IV, Willie would die.  I never understood that--it wasn't as if he was on life support and she was disconnecting an apparatus that was doing his breathing for him.  

Even back then, as a teen, I noticed how half-assed the medical aspects of this show were handled--half the time, long-term patients weren't even hooked up to an IV!--but somehow, I dismissed or accepted it all, including Julia's insane actions.  She was a woman in love, and somehow, everything else, including her questionable medical practices, was acceptable to me.

Love, Robin