Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0686  (Read 1669 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0686
« on: December 01, 2008, 07:51:01 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0686
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:06:35 AM »
I liked the thunder during the voiceover.  Joan Bennett said there was a storm going on, and I thought, "Yup, knew that already."

Roger's great.  He goes to London for weeks, is completely unavailable when anybody tries to call him, and then comes home and is sure he knows better than everybody what is going on.  And nobody's asking him why he never answered all the messages that I assume they left for him at the hotel.  Maybe Elizabeth did in the car, but I don't have that impression.  On the other hand, Julia backed Barnabas up in public when they were talking with Elizabeth but argued with Barnabas in private, and Roger backed up David in public but felt snubbed by him in private, so maybe Elizabeth did rake Roger over the coals in the car for neglecting his family, and maybe Barnabas and Julia discussed in private Roger's London silence, and maybe we missed a conversation between Maggie and Mrs. Johnson on the same subject.

How many messily abandoned rooms are there at Collinwood?  Those people need to hold a yard sale.  And aren't there any big rooms?  The place is a rabbit warren   I'd like to see a ballroom.  I suppose the size of the studio didn't allow for such a thing, but I still would like to see one huge room.  The revival series has a plethora of huge rooms, with completely level floors too, and I don't like that because it just seems unnatural (it may be real, but it's unnatural), but a house the size of Collinwood should have a ballroom.  Oh, well, maybe Joshua thought balls were a waste of time and Abigail thought they were the devil's work.  Poor Naomi.

Note: reading the Preview of this note, I keep seeing "bathroom" for "ballroom" and "bath" for "ball".  Either will do.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 02:51:05 AM »
Loved the Joan voiceover and the disembodied book in the opening.  I keeps one reminded of how different DS was from other shows of the time. 
Dr. Hoffmans diagnosis of Mrs Johnson as a repressed hysteric was so funny, I wonder what the diagnosis of herself would be?
Now we know that Quentin and Beth are from 1897.  I found it exteremly odd that they turn on the lights and then Julia lights a candle and tries to read by the candlelight and  not take the books to where the light is and then to leave the picture instead of taking it to Barnabas. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:11:42 AM »
I found it extremely odd that they turn on the lights and then Julia lights a candle and tries to read by the candlelight and  not take the books to where the light is and then to leave the picture instead of taking it to Barnabas.
I found it odd, too.  [santa_cheesy] That was pretty scary at the end when the window flew open, the lights and candle went out, the door wouldn't open, and there was all that wind in the room! I don't blame Julia for being scared.  [santa_shocked]

It was heartwarming to see Roger defending and reaching out to David. They've come a long way since 1966.  [santa_wink] It's too bad David couldn't confide in Roger.  [santa_undecided] As good as this made me feel, though, I was also disappointed that Roger didn't take Barnabas seriously and, in effect, asked him to leave. Given David's "bad" behavior in the past, Roger should have listened to Barnabas more. [santa_angry] I think Roger was trying too hard. Maybe all those months away from David in London caused Roger to do a lot of thinking about their relationship and Roger was trying to make up for all the times he mistreated David.  [santa_rolleyes]

It sure was creepy how David was afraid of Quentin, questioned what Quentin was doing, and seemed like a kid - until he heard Quentin's music, and then his demeanor changed completely, into someone quite evil, just like Quentin. [santa_evil]

----- Sally ----
 [santa_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 05:41:05 PM »
the disembodied book

That's cute!  I'm enjoying the idea of a floating spectral ledger.

Dr. Hoffmans diagnosis of Mrs Johnson as a repressed hysteric was so funny, I wonder what the diagnosis of herself would be?

LOL

So Beth was photographed in 1897 in that same dress she wears as a ghost, yet in the past we never see her wearing it in life.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 05:39:19 AM »
Gosh, I wanted to smack Roger upside the head in this episode. I know he wants to believe David but for heaven sakes, he's been gone for 4 weeks and, as Lydia said, acts like everything he knows or thinks he knows is right, and that everybody else is wrong and ganging up on "poor" David for no good reason.

Not only that, he has the gall to tell Barnabas that if he didn't apologize to David he would not be allowed back in ROGER'S house. Hate to break it to you, Roger, but Collinwood is still ELIZABETH'S house, not yours. She has the say who is and who isn't welcome at Collinwood, not you. I wish she had walked back in to get something and heard Roger make his threat. He really needed a good dressing down, I swear!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 06:43:11 AM »
Not only that, he has the gall to tell Barnabas that if he didn't apologize to David he would not be allowed back in ROGER'S house. Hate to break it to you, Roger, but Collinwood is still ELIZABETH'S house, not yours. She has the say who is and who isn't welcome at Collinwood, not you. I wish she had walked back in to get something and heard Roger make his threat. He really needed a good dressing down, I swear!

I think someone's going to come along who'll get it into Roger's head that it's not his house very soon....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 06:55:13 AM »
Hee hee, good point, Magnus.

Welcome back, IlB!

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »
Thanks, Midnite! [santa_smiley]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 06:26:07 AM »
In a way, I feel cheated that Roger wasn't present during Elizabeth's "death period" and particularly at the moment of her "resurrection."  After all, he spent most of the time previous to that dismissing her as being mentally ill for believing she would be buried alive, so it would have been gratifying to see his reaction at its actually coming to pass just as she predicted.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 05:39:07 PM »
Oh, yay!  "Mrs Johnson is a repressed hysteric."  Love it!

Thanks, MB, for pointing me here.

G.