Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0684  (Read 1348 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0684
« on: November 27, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0684
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »
I had a strange feeling as Barnabas and Chris stood by the coffin of the unknown infant contemplating the pentagram and thinking that perhaps the blonde ghost was the infant's mother.  It seemed to me as if Chris's problem had been two-dimensional before, and now another dimension, time, had been added - a painting turning into a diorama.  Time is usually the fourth dimension, not the third, but never mind.

Barnabas seemed quite distressed when he said, "It's an infant!"  I didn't expect that, and found it touching: another dimension (it's a day for dimensions) added to Barnabas.

What does David Selby know of the infant?  Quentin appeared sad as he looked at Barnabas and Chris with the coffin.  Maybe the director just said, "Look sad, David.  I'll explain later," in the time-honored Dark Shadows way.

Poor David (Collins, not Selby) is in way over his head, thinking that maybe a book about ghosts and exorcisms can help him.  By the way, what was that book doing in a cabinet in the drawing room?  With all the denial going on in the Collins family about the existence of the supernatural, such a book shouldn't be anywhere near Collinwood.  Maybe Madam Findlay, or Madam Findlay's ghost, left it there.

Breathes there a fan with soul so dead Who never to himself hath said, "Abe Vigoda was just wonderful as Ezra Braithwaite!"  His lines could have been very flat, but Vigoda brought them to vigorous three-dimensional life.  Poor Abe deserved better than to have his name misspelled in the credits.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 11:08:08 PM »
Quentin appeared sad as he looked at Barnabas and Chris with the coffin.  Maybe the director just said, "Look sad, David.  I'll explain later," in the time-honored Dark Shadows way.

Interesting.  I looked for that and didn't notice any sadness in his expression.  But I only recall three expressions in Quentin the ghost's repertoire-- intense, creepy, and quite pleased with himself.  Sadness seems completely out of character for him.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 11:46:53 PM »
At this point he even looks creepy in the family photo.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
I looked for that and didn't notice any sadness in his expression.
So I was reading my own thoughts into it?  It would make sense - so much of what we see comes from inside us - but I'm not sure.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
I think I remember that look.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 11:58:04 AM »
This was the first episode (of only two) that featured Abe Vigoda as Ezra Braithwaite. [milestone] I thought his character was cute, how he was so forgetful. [santa_smiley]

I like how another 1897 puzzle piece occurred when Barnabas and Chris found the infant's coffin. (Notice it was Chris, and not Barnabas who did the digging!) [santa_rolleyes]

I believe this was the first time that Quentin used a modern phone. [milestone] It sure was rude of Quentin to take the phone away from David.  [santa_angry]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 12:41:02 PM »
Correction: Abe Vigoda made three appearances on DS. I figured I'd better post this before someone corrects me. [santa_wink] But, I was correct when I said he made two appearances as Ezra Braithwaite.  [santa_rolleyes] By the way, I love the name Ezra Braithwaite. Sounds like a good old New England name.  [santa_thumb]

----- Sally -----
[santa_cool] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:25 PM »
Abe Vigoda made three appearances on DS, Emerald.   Wait... damn! 

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 03:27:16 AM »
I'm amazed at how much Barnabas seems to know about the Victorian Era, considering that he "slept" right through it.  I guess he's spent a lot of his free time reading up on all the history he missed.

By the way, when did he learn how to drive?  And why does he seem to be spending so much time at the Big House lately?  Is it because Roger's gone?  Heck, even Vickie isn't there anymore to draw him to the place.

And why does no one seem to have any functioning memories at Collinwood?  Here we have Carolyn and David quizzing each other on whether or not they've ever seen a ghost.   Strange since they both had encounters with Sarah in the not too distant past.