Author Topic: Joe/Nathan Forbes  (Read 4455 times)

Offline RingoCollins

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
Re: Joe/Nathan Forbes
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2002, 06:53:35 AM »
What the hell does Maggie see in Joe?

I think she would look better with a balding, grey-bearded.........well, you know.....

cheers,
Ringo

[its time for the national hollerin' champs!]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2002, 01:48:24 PM »
What the hell does Maggie see in Joe?

I think she would look better with a balding, grey-bearded.........well, you know.....

cheers,
Ringo

[its time for the national hollerin' champs!]

I think Maggie doesn't know what she's missing! You two make a lovely couple.

As for Joe, I think she wants someone that's reliable, HAS a job(not like her father), treats her well, and isn't spending their hard earned money at the Blue Whale.
She's settling for Joe because she has no intention of leaving Collinsport to see if the grass is greener.

The only two cosmopolitan men that she's ever met were Barnabas and Nicholas Blair and you know where that got her!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2002, 09:49:48 PM »
Isn't it funny how we all see different things in Nathan and Joe.  Though I entirely understand the appeal of Joel Crothers - the too too handsome, swaggering Navy officer that was Nathan Forbes mostly just gives me well - a bone chilling case of the willies (probably a personal problem from having had too much early exposure to some of his real life counterparts - i.e., strutting, sexist, ego maniacal uniformed morons. [pissd])  AAAANYway, to me, Nathan came across as more of a spoiled rich frat rat type than anything else.  Not to mention that, in the end, he was ablaze with his true colors - all varying shades of YELLOW.  

As for Joe, well, I LIKE him  :) , but he doesn't get my pulse racing.  He seems like the kind of guy you could be good friends with, someone you could count on.  I do think Crothers did an excellent job with both parts though - very believable.  He was good with lines too - rarely goofs up and almost always did a smooth recovery if he did start to falter.

I agree with Carol that as DS bad boys go I have way more attraction to Willie pre and post Barna-bite days (Karlen's portrayal only, of course [heh]).  He was bad, but you're willing to think it wasn't all his fault.  And, when he's down you want to help him out.  I think his unrequited love for Maggie is every bit as touching as Julia's for Barnabas.  :'(
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2002, 11:10:20 PM »
(Willie) was bad, but you're willing to think it wasn't all his fault.  And, when he's down you want to help him out.  I think his unrequited love for Maggie is every bit as touching as Julia's for Barnabas.  :'(

Very much so.

Even in those scenes in the Old House, before Julia & Willie decide to bury Barnabas the way you would a beloved family pet, his emotion and tears felt so real. I think he was a lost soul--crying for himself as much as for Barnabas...

As far as Joe goes (the actual subject of this thread ;D), I think he didn't try to be so much controlling of Maggie, as he just didn't understand the gothic weirdness that was going on around him...that is, until Adam kicked his ass. For better or worse, he tried to play protector, but pretty much failed...

BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2008, 03:00:27 PM »
I just love Joel Crothers and I loved both of his characters on DS. And who could forget those amazing trousers he wore in 1795!  [ghost_tongue2] I really wish I would have been able to meet Joel Crothers and I wish he wouldn't have been taken from us so soon.  Joel wherever you are we love ya and hopefully one day I will  get that meeting with you somewhere in the great beyond.....  [angl2]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Devlin66

• Full Poster
  • Devlin For President in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Burke Devlins Yahoo 360
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 12:29:57 PM »
And who could forget those amazing trousers he wore in 1795!

Did Forbes ever take his sword out of its scabbard?    [crossbones]
" When I gave Davey Collins the crystal ball I hoped he would see that I was his real father, and not that abusive Roger Collins!

Only Laura knows the truth regarding Davids paternity, and i am sure she remembers the back seat of that car Roger crashed.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
you ladies seem to forget, joe haskell and nathan played by the same man.      [ghost_grin]

this is why maggie stayed with him!        [ghost_wink]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
So, did Joe turn into Nathan when the moon was full or something?

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
Joel Crothers really was one terrific actor to be able to play two characters that were exactly the opposite of each other. Nathan was as much sneaky and underhanded as Joe was clean-cut and honest.

It's really too bad that Alexandra Moltke couldn't have been given the same chance to play a character different from Vicki. But DC insisted that no one would have bought her as anyone but the sweet, virturous Vicki. Yet he had no problem casting Joel with a character very different from Joe.

DC's reasoning can be a mystery at times.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »
DC's reasoning can be a mystery at times.

Gee, ya think?  [lghy]  It's nearly impossible to fathom too many of his decisions. All one ends up doing is ::) and :'(

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 12:51:46 AM »
I prefer Joe. I have always liked that role, probably because I think he is cute.  [128]

I do think Joel Crothers did an awesome job when [spoiler]he was bitten by Angelique and went insane after seeing Chris transform[/spoiler]

I would loved to see him in 1897 however!!!
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 02:11:49 AM »
Must be pick on Joe Haskell month.
My better half and I had a lengthy discussion on whether or not Joe and Carolyn...well...did it. I said yes, she said no. When it comes right down to it, I think Dan Curtis needed the character of Joe Haskell, a young fisherman, a hard-working type to be Carolyn's beau. OK. Let's get a cannery working stiff, in love with the boss's daughter.. and so on, and so forth.
I like Joe. I always have. He reminds me of all the "nice" boys from my youth. A hard-working stiff. Good to look at, and faithful like a dog. I love Joel's portrayal of Nathan - I think he did a wonderful job with the character - pants and all...
I just like Joe. And please let me know if you all think that Joe and Carolyn were or were not intimate.
Nevermind Maggie. There's a general consensous in my household that Maggie is a slut.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 04:23:50 AM »
I doubt Dan Curtis suggested the role of Joe Haskell as the show was written by Art Wallace for months!  [8_1_209] As for the sex having, I would say Carolyn and Joe were gettin' it on.   [128] If she wasn't gettin' it on with that HOT man then she was C R A Z Y!   [BOO]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2008, 04:27:02 AM »
I was starting to suspect that the Art Wallace credit was due to his original story that early DS was based on, and that he probably didn't have actual involvement in trhe show after it was underway.  Am I wrong?  Break it to me gently.

[candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2] [candle_in_skull_2]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2008, 06:46:46 PM »
Wallace was definitely involved.  [hall2_smiley]