Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0682  (Read 1392 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0682
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:25:27 PM »

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0682
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:55:25 AM »
IIRC, this was the first time Mrs. Johnson participated in a seance. [milestone] I love the seances on DS! So exciting and thrilling! Ghosts always gave cryptic messages, though. I wonder why? [ghost_huh]

I love to see Thayer David's opening voice-overs! He did an excellent job. [clap2]

It was great to see Maggie and Mrs. Johnson commiserating together about seeing Quentin. I was glad to see that Barnabas believed them. [ghost_smiley]

The way they did Maggie's dream was different. I think it may have been the first time someone had a nightmare, and "we" didn't see the person wake up screaming. [milestone] The next scene, she was talking to Barnabas. Also, the picture was wavy at the beginning, but not later; and, since we didn't see her wake up, I was wasn't sure if it was a dream or reality. I was relieved to find that Maggie was alright. [whew] When Mrs. Johnson found the sash in Maggie's room, it became quite apparent to me that Quentin made Maggie have that dream. [ghost_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
I love to see Thayer David's opening voice-overs!
I myself love to hear them.  He makes the story sound so important!

Clarice Blackburn did a great imitation of Madam Findlay's manner of speaking.  It really sounded as though Madam Findlay were speaking through Mrs. Johnson at the séance.  I found it rather chilling, in fact.

I was surprised that Maggie and Mrs. Johnson decided that Maggie should talk to Barnabas about the strange man they had seen, but I suppose they figured they had to try and see if they could find someone who would believe them.  It's a pity, though.  I liked the alliance between Maggie and Mrs. Johnson, but an alliance between Maggie and Barnabas is less interesting at this point.  It would have been more interesting a couple of years ago, back when Maggie was working at the coffeeshop.

I liked the end of Maggie's dream, when we saw Quentin looking evil after strangling Maggie.  That's how dreams work: you get killed, and afterwards you can still look at your killer.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
!!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »
I myself love to hear them. He makes the story sound so important!
Oops! [6184] That's right! Of course, you don't see voice-overs! [signerror] Sorry about that! [hall2_rolleyes] LOL!  [hall2_grin]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: !!
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
Of course, you don't see voice-overs! [signerror] Sorry about that! [hall2_rolleyes] LOL!  [hall2_grin]

His voiceovers smell great, too.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
i don't know much about the technical side of the program but i've always had an image in my mind of the recording of the voiceover.

perhaps the actor just recites it just before the episode itself begins filming...

but i've always pictured it as being recorded separately.i can see the actor or actress sitting in a sound booth "out of character",in their street clothes,unmade up,with a big set of headphones on reading it from the script.

they read this as "themselves" then go to hair and makeup and wardrobe and get "in character" for the episode itself to be taped.

i don't know why but this has always been my image of it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 04:55:07 PM »
MSC, I think on one of Grayson's tapes (when fans were interviewing her)--or it may have been on Thayer's interview with Ron--one of them mentioned that anyone doing the voiceover couldn't be in the pre-titles scene.  I took that to mean that the voiceover was actually read "live" at the start of taping each day.  They had to pre-record other voiceover stuff, of course, for when an actor was on stage and we were hearing her/his thoughts--so they had the means to pre-record the voiceovers; I don't know why they did not do so.  It may have been that occasionally the voiceover was pre-recorded.

An amusing thing about the Canadian series Strange Paradise is that for the first seven weeks or so, they never had an opening voiceover.  Around the ending of the second month of production, Bob Costello took over as producer and immediately instituted the practice of an opening voiceover.  It was dropped without comment at some point around week 26, I believe.

Best, 

Gothick

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
Apparently, Mrs. Johnson failed to read the fine print in the contract she signed listing her job duties as maid at Collinood:

YOU MUST PARTICPATE IN ALL FAMILY SEANCES WHEN CALLED UPON TO DO SO.  [snow_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:24:52 PM »
 [laughing4]  And shame on her for not realizing her responsibilities.  ;)