Author Topic: Another side of Angelique  (Read 1591 times)

Offline deron

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Another side of Angelique
« on: June 20, 2002, 04:23:52 AM »
I'm really enjoying these most recent episodes with Nicholas Blair.  Not only is his acting very enjoyable, and he has some great lines to work with, but his interaction with Angelique is great.  It's obvious he is the more powerful, and treats her as such.  

With that, we see flaws in Angelique that adds another interesting dimension to her character.  Even with Nicholas telling her that her dream curse is petty and not worth bothering with, her love/hate of Barnabas is so strong that it blinds her and makes her ignore how Blair thinks she should conduct herself.

Spoiler....

It will eventually cost her, and Blair has bigger fish to fry anyway.

deron

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
Re: Another side of Angelique
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2002, 08:05:17 AM »
One of Angelique's flaws came out today when she appeared in the Evans cottage, trying to make Victoria have the dream curse. She got caught red handed by Maggie, of course she just disappeared. She is too hasty in her vengeance against Barnabas.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2002, 08:43:14 AM »
I'm really enjoying these most recent episodes with Nicholas Blair.  Not only is his acting very enjoyable, and he has some great lines to work with, but his interaction with Angelique is great.  It's obvious he is the more powerful, and treats her as such.  

With that, we see flaws in Angelique that adds another interesting dimension to her character.  Even with Nicholas telling her that her dream curse is petty and not worth bothering with, her love/hate of Barnabas is so strong that it blinds her and makes her ignore how Blair thinks she should conduct herself.

They do make an exiting, if not interesting couple.  It's so obvious that he is the stronger one and she almost appears "childlike" when she's with him. She definetely isn't having it easy with her spells this time either, as she did in 1795. Just about everyone in this timeline is on to her, (except poor Roger) and she seems to be getting caught all the time, which is making her seem more inexperienced in Nickolas' eyes. And he loves letting her know about it too.  Perhaps she should have saved that "you are my master, I am your servant" speech that she gave to Barnabas in 1795 for Nickolas Blair! ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2002, 09:15:20 AM »
I've thought of this a number of times recently, but especially today when she was doing her spell to find out where Vicki went.  It seems rather strange that a witch, who is naturally afraid of fire, uses the fire so often in her spells.  Usually it's looking into and calling to the flames, but there are other times like the house of cards in 1795 when she actually uses it.

And, as to her locating Vicki, what did Vicki really hope to accomplish by leaving for a few days?  Delaying what was to happen to Barnabas?  Unless she left for good, obviously it would pick up whenever she returned.
Josette

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2002, 12:04:49 PM »
I love the dialogue between Nicholas and Cassangelique.  They both appear to be Satan's minions, but Nick is either ranked higher or has pleased the Master more than Ang has.  Watching the two of them bicker is a joy.  I get the impression that they are in competition with each other, and Angelique's mission is to reinstate Barnabas' vampire curse while Nicholas, while mission-less right now, will also be searching for a way to please the Master MORE than Angelique will.

In a way, they are like brother and sister, but I have a feeling that, when they were in the coven together, they were intimate and equally competitive.

Love, Robin

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2002, 03:44:40 PM »
 It seems rather strange that a witch, who is naturally afraid of fire, uses the fire so often in her spells.

Actually, fire is probably the first 'magick" ever encountered by human kind.  It was powerful, destructive, dangerous,....but also useful, even vital to early people.  There is hardly a spiritual practice anywhere on earth that does not use fire in some way.

So Angelique is merely continuing an ancient human pratice....taming a dangerous power and using it for her own ends.

Rainey....who's own candle budget is nothing short of silly.   ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2002, 05:02:00 PM »

Just about everyone in this timeline is on to her, (except poor Roger) and she seems to be getting caught all the time, which is making her seem more inexperienced in Nickolas' eyes.

I suspect that "poor Roger" deep down already knows damn well that he got burned, otherwise he wouldn't have looked so furious when he saw Tony with Cassandra at the bottom of the stairs, and he wouldn't have been so awkward at revealing that Cassandra had "run off" there to Nicholas.  There's a pride issue and besides he's in serious denial half the time anyway.  

What's interesting with Nicholas and Cassandra is that the former is obviously a professional.  This is, as it were, his job.  He has a work ethic.  He doesn't waste his time on petty grievances (usually).  Cassandra . . . well, her motives are personal.  She's sloppy at times in her execution and she has (sorry to all Angelique fans) mucked everything up rather royally--because I totally agree with you--they're on to her.  And hello?  most of this was avoidable.  

As to the Nicholas/Cassandra relationship . . . I just don't see them ever being intimate except where required by some sort of ritual (presumably).  But then I have no idea where he gets the Maggie-love either so maybe I'm wrong  8)

Luciaphil
(who now must go back and finish something for the other Nicky  ;) )
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

thom

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 07:24:24 AM »
SPOILER(s)

I like the Angie/Nick banter as well but she does get the upper hand on him eventually, both in 1968 and the tail end of the Leviathon story in 1970. I think the writers knew Angie was the more popular character and they had to play it that way. When she goes to hell - literally in the series - to tell on Nick she asks for the power to destroy him and later she turns the Shadow Curse onto him - though Inever understood  how a warlock could be destroyed by a witch's spell.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2002, 07:58:17 PM »
Just a note to Thom ... nice to see you posting here ...

And to RP:  darling, you should see MY candle budget. Does the term "looney tunes" mean anything to you???

Gothick

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2002, 11:20:19 PM »
And to RP:  darling, you should see MY candle budget. Does the term "looney tunes" mean anything to you???Gothick

Hmmm....did YOUR local volunteer fire department send a special team to your house last Halloween...."just in case"?

[lghy]...nah, neither did mine...but they damned sure should have!!!

"RP,darling"  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

thom

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2002, 05:24:13 AM »
Thanks Gothick for the nice welcome.I've enjoyed this board as a lurker and when I get the time - usually late at night - I love to post, but I mostly enjoy reading everyone else's posts and seeing different perspectives of this show I love still. There's no disrespect in any of the posts, very different from the posts I see for the 'regular ' soaps I watch like Guiding Light(a real, real mess) and Passions(an embarassing joke).

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2002, 08:27:29 PM »
Hmmm....did YOUR local volunteer fire department send a special team to your house last Halloween...."just in case"?

[lghy]...nah, neither did mine...but they damned sure should have!!!

I can relate!  My candle budget is HUGE, and Halloween is the one time they're all fired up at the same time.  But what a disappointment it was to learn that the front of my house still doesn't get lit up, even with the fireplace going too, so now I find it easier to suspend belief that Barn's a vamp than that he or Julia can get some nighttime reading done in the Old House without getting severe eye strain. :D

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2006, 03:03:42 PM »
I love the "pairing" of Nicholas and Angelique....he's the one person who can intimidate and brow-beat her. I loved it whenever he punished her and yet she still went ahead and disobeyed him time and time again. I think it was a game, a battle of wills with both of them trying to see who can best the other.