Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #09  (Read 1812 times)

Watching Project 2

Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #09
« on: November 15, 2008, 03:00:28 AM »
For those who may have missed it the first time around, here's the montage for Ep #9 that we created in the forum's VantageNet days to celebrate the '91 series' 10th Anniversary:

(Once again, this montage shows the day-for-night scenes with their proper filtering.)

And here's the recap:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_9.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_9.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

(More to come...)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #09
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:40:38 AM »
Oh MB!  You have no idea what a treasure you are. This has been one nostalgic ride for me.  My ankle has been hurt and I am busy with family this weekend, and then I am traveling to Atlanta to stay for a few days to see Madonna.  Then the holidays. I just want you and everyone to KNOW I am still loving this and will be catching up on my reviews when I can get time.  I have not abandoned the wish you granted from a request I made~~which turned into fun for us all! :)  Thanks again guys!! :)  I wish we could get more feeback going on the threads though.  I think it's probably because this is a busy time of year.  In my last review I ask a lot of questions and only one was answered.  That isn't to make any one feel bad I just have been curious for 17 years!!  [hall2_wink]   Sorry to ramble cousins.  It's a character flaw! [hall2_kiss]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 09:22:16 AM »
Last week Josette came across as a slut, and this week she came across as tiresomely hysterical.  What on earth did Barnabas ever see in her?

Angelique was sort of fun to watch when she was lighting those candles - but honestly, what on earth did she see in Barnabas?

I was surprised to hear that Vicky didn't believe in witches or demons.  In the 20th century she knew that even the police believed that Daphne had become a vampire, and she saw the ghost of a little girl who lived two centuries ago, and now she has traveled through time as a result of a séance.  I realize that none of these occurrences were the result of action by a witch or a demon - but surely she should admit the possibility that the world of the supernatural may have more to offer that what she has actually encountered so far.

which turned into fun for us all!
Well, I'm not so sure about that.  I was thinking as I watched this episode that the nice thing about not really liking anybody on the show was that if each and every 1790 character got killed off, it wouldn't bother me at all.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 05:02:42 AM »
Okay which turned fun for some of us.   [hall2_grin] Lydia, I am not attacking you on a personal level but  honestly if it's so painly to watch, why bother?   [hall2_huh]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 05:08:38 AM »
Victoria also told Peter she beleived there was something deeply evil at work.  Something along those lines. She knew there was evil afoot, what kind she did not know!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 10:37:57 AM »
if it's so painly to watch, why bother?
Because I said I would.  Yeah, I know, stupid reason.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »
i like that reason lydia...

i'm on the fence with this series too but i like the "project" part of it.lots of people were on board and now hardly anyone posts.

i'll post my review later when i have a bit of time.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »
I'd really planned on doing some posting about the revival series, but have had the busiest November you can imagine, and have gotten behind in my viewing. I'm getting caught up, however - and I will be back to weigh in soon!
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:44:39 PM »
Love the latest montage.  Julialique looks like the cat that ate the canary.  FABULOUS capture!!!

Trask Thinnes' caterpillar eyebrows are deeply, harrowingly, traumatizingly SCARY.  Just imagining that leering, hideous face looming over mine closer and closer would have me babbling any heresy or black mass litany that he would dictate, just to make him STOP!

For some reason, I find that photo of Vampette with blood smeared wide-open maw hysterical.  Blood by Helena Rubinstein?  This is the kind of thing I expect to see a lot of in Depp Shadows.

G.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
ye olde colonial funeral...

i know that we're supposed to be caught up in the grand sweep of the whole thing but josette's overblown graveside histrionics are hard to take seriously...she was married to jeremiah for a day.

i really,really hate abigail.

they say that hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and here angelique proves that in spades.i find lysette anthony to be one of the more enjoyable parts of this tale.in the scene where she comes to barnabas' room(on her knees!)however she comes across as crude and slatternly and boy does she work alot of cleavage for an eighteenth century servant.

if i had been joshua collins i would have trounced the entire sorry dupres lot out on their asses.why are they still at collinwood?

so jeremiah has risen as a zombie huh.i thought his scene with josette was quite effective.

i like that barnabas and natalie are wise to ang.however natalie's jewelry is too over the top.it looks cheap and fake.

i was really liking barbara blackburn in the present.millicent is sort of a wasted opportunity.her stabs at comic relief are out of sync with the tone of everything else.

the scenes set in the here and now are one of the more effective plot devices of this series.it keeps us connected to the present.i had forgotten about the second seance and that barnabas and carolyn were still in cahoots.but i have had it with liz's wide pleat slacks.

why doesn't maggie have a 1790 counterpart?everyone else does.surely they could have found a suitable tid-bit for ely pouget.

the scene with josette attacking barnabas was extremely shocking even if she does just turn out to be a bat.

good episode.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 09:53:35 PM »
I am behind too. Ankle injury sidelined me for three weeks, now a trip to TN and GA and a Madonna concert and then  the holidays.  I will see ya first DEC.   Lydia, I just want to reiterate that I wasn't being hateful just wondered!  K?  I just wish there were some fans of the show who posted!  [hall2_wink]

I am guessing ELY would have been Bathia Mapes if the show had stayed in 1790 for 10 episodes as originally planned!

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008, 09:15:15 AM »
 Lydia, I just want to reiterate that I wasn't being hateful just wondered!  K? 
I wasn't offended.  It was a valid question.

Watching Project 2

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:35:57 PM »
Previews:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_9.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_9.swf</a>

[/video]

Voiceover:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Voiceover_9.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Voiceover_9.swf</a>

[/video]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 01:16:13 AM »
Some Thoughts on Lysette Anthony's "Angèlique"

A woman with no ladylike guiles or pretensions, this Angèlique is a sex kitten and a hellcat. And though her pride is no doubt bruised at Barnabas' rebuffs, her reaction isn't one of normal jealousy but of psychosis. One does not see a blush of embarrassment on her cheek but only rage. I was reminded of the Glenn Close character in "Fatal Attraction."

Angèlique has beauty, but at no point does she evoke my sympathy or empathy. She is completely lacking any aspect of charm or grace. No one would ever be in doubt of her low social status as evinced by her manner.

This is an effective portrayal; but I wish there had been more nuance to draw us in to the character as well as repel us.

- Philippe

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995