Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #08  (Read 1412 times)

Watching Project 2

Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #08
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:00:18 AM »
For those who may have missed it the first time around, here's the montage for Ep #8 that we created in the forum's VantageNet days to celebrate the '91 series' 10th Anniversary:

And here's the recap:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_8.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Recap_8.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

(The fascinating thing about this recap is that apparently something that couldn't be seen in the actual episode could be glimpsed in the recap. Go figure.  [hall2_undecided])

(More to come...)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #08
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 05:14:53 AM »
I don't have my review yet but I wanted to mention that I though Lysette did a wonderful job during her spell to add the ball to the pistol.  I love when she started the spell on the gargoyle, and she was rolling her head from side to side.  She really nailed that scene IMO and I almost thought the DEVIL was really entering her!!  CREEPY! 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 07:23:12 AM »
This was a frantically action-packed episode.

As time goes by, I like Barnabas less and less.  Harsh voice, harsh face.  And I like Jeremiah, so I found the Jeremiah-Josette pairing much more pleasing than the Barnabas-Josette pairing.  It was rather sweet that Jeremiah crossed himself before the duel.  He wouldn't have gotten that from his own religious upbringing, so he must have done it for Josette.  It turned out to be no defense against Angelique's witchcraft, but it was sweet.

I assume that Barnabas and Josette had not slept together, but the evidence is suggesting otherwise.  Back in the 20th century, when Barnabas told Vicky that the first Barnabas and Josette had been paramours, I figured it was sloppy wording, but gosh, if they weren't...um...intimate together, apparently they were everything but.  In fact, Josette came across as a bit of a slut in this episode, and Barnabas didn't look any better.

Why did Angelique want Jeremiah dead?  If she can manage to get herself married to Barnabas, then she can look forward to a lifetime of preceding Josette because because she is married to the eldest brother while Josette is married to a younger brother.  As a widow, Josette will marry somebody else, and it won't be nearly as much fun for Angelique.  Especially if the somebody else is Barnabas.

It surprises me that Jeremiah had a guitar.  18th-century Collinwood doesn't seem like a guitar-friendly sort of place.  And I'm wondering if the script originally contained the scene in which Vicky borrowed the guitar from Jeremiah.  It could have been interesting.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:30 AM »
Why did Angelique want Jeremiah dead?  If she can manage to get herself married to Barnabas, then she can look forward to a lifetime of preceding Josette because because she is married to the eldest brother while Josette is married to a younger brother.  As a widow, Josette will marry somebody else, and it won't be nearly as much fun for Angelique.  Especially if the somebody else is Barnabas.

It's been a long time since I've seen  this series, so I don't remember - were Barnabas and Jeremiah brothers in this version?
Josette

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:24:52 PM »
Yes, Joshua and Naomi had four children: Barnabas, Jeremiah, Daniel, and Sarah.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:16:14 AM »
Thank you.  How interesting!  I certainly didn't remember Daniel being their child!
Josette

Watching Project 2

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 11:36:26 PM »
A publicity photo that was circulated for this ep:

Who knew Peter was really a Collins brother? But no one ever said newspapers get their facts correct. When it comes to DS, it's sadly the case that they all too often don't.  [hall2_sad]

Watching Project

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 06:52:13 AM »
Previews:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_8.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Previews_8.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

Obviously we're not waiting two weeks.  [hall2_wink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 04:50:33 AM »
I have some free time so I am getting ready to watch this ep and review it! I hope to get them all finished in the next few weeks while we are off the original shows WP! :) [8_2_59]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/