Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0669  (Read 1731 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0669
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:04:54 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0669
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
Suddenly Quentin can not only leave his room, he can even leave the house.  Next thing you know, he'll be going down to the Blue Whale for a drink and frightening Bob the Bartender.

Edward Marshall seems like a nice young man, but why couldn't they get somebody who could do a really good job as Harry Johnson?  I was wondering today what Chris Pennock would have done with the role.  Details elude me, but no doubt Harry would have turned into a very interesting resident of Collinwood.

Today there was no doubt that David and Quentin were two distinct characters.  David said, "We'll have to go tell Quentin" - or something like that.  Somehow the merging and separating of Quentin and David - rather than a stable status quo - makes everything that much creepier.  By the way, when David told Maggie that Mrs. Johnson worked too hard, I wish Maggie had said, "Then why don't you help her out a little?"

I've never seen playing cards as big as the ones that David and Amy were playing with.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:37:28 AM »
Suddenly Quentin can not only leave his room, he can even leave the house.  Next thing you know, he'll be going down to the Blue Whale for a drink and frightening Bob the Bartender.

I was wondering if somehow the things the kids were doing in the house for Quentin directly or indirectly led to Quentin's spirit gradually becoming stronger, and less and less imprisoned.  That doesn't really make sense so I can't defend it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 02:45:21 AM »
Mrs. Johnson's statement about the cottage was right on. I'm surprised she didn't mention Laura but seemed to insinuate it.  The soon to be resident Chris will bring even more strange events to that place.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:50:52 PM »
Well said, alwaysdavid!

MAGGIE:  Tom Jennings is moving into Matthew Morgan's cottage sometime tomorrow afternoon.
MRS. J:  Matthew Morgan's cottage?

ALEX TREBEK:  No, the correct question is, "A dead man is moving into the cottage?"  [hall2_wink]

Maggie called him Tom a second time, which made me wonder if that's what was in the day's script.

LOL

Today there was no doubt that David and Quentin were two distinct characters.  David said, "We'll have to go tell Quentin" - or something like that.  Somehow the merging and separating of Quentin and David - rather than a stable status quo - makes everything that much creepier.

Yes!  Even when Quentin is not in full possession of David (or Beth of Amy), there's no doubt the children have been corrupted by evil.

when David told Maggie that Mrs. Johnson worked too hard, I wish Maggie had said, "Then why don't you help her out a little?"

And what nerve of Carolyn to invite Chris to move in THE NEXT DAY to a filthy place but not lift a finger herself to get it ready!  Did it not occur to her that Mrs. Johnson would have horrible memories of the place thanks to Matthew Morgan [spoiler]murdering the employer she had a great deal of fondness for?[/spoiler] (I bet Liz not only would have apologized directly to Mrs. J for not discussing it with her first, she would have offered to help.)

I've never seen playing cards as big as the ones that David and Amy were playing with.

Heh heh.  It did bring back fond memories of playing "War" when I was a kid.  [hall2_cheesy]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »
Did it not occur to her that Mrs. Johnson would have horrible memories of the place thanks to Matthew Morgan
Gosh, I had forgotten about Mrs. Johnson's connection to that - but Carolyn certainly should have remembered!

I just hope Mrs. Johnson didn't come across any two-year-old mayonnaise in the refrigerator.

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:01:23 PM »
This was Quentin's second appearance. [milestone] He sure looked sinister and evil! Even his eyes seemed dark and evil - there was no hint of his gorgeous blue eyes. [hall2_shocked]

I was quite amused when Maggie said Tom's name - twice - in error. [lghg]
ALEX TREBEK:  No, the correct question is, "A dead man is moving into the cottage?"
LOL, Midnite! [hall2_grin]

I agree that David and Amy were becoming very corrupted and evil by Quentin's influence. [ghost_shocked] Even when they were themselves, they were "not themselves". [hall2_wink]

This was Edward Marshall's first appearance, and Harry Johnson's last appearance. [milestone] Although he was not as attractive as Craig Slocum, EM really did have the same voice! When EM spoke, I closed my eyes, and he sounded just like CS! I wonder, was it just a coincidence, or did he purposely make his voice sound that way? [ghost_huh]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 01:34:44 AM »
I think this is one of the truly "chilling" DS episodes.  Quentin looks very creepy and Mrs. Johnson's being trapped alone in the cottage with him strikes chords of primal terror.

I love Mrs. Johnson's comments to and about Harry - totally cutting and emasculating.  I always appreciate characters who are as full of starch and vinegar as she is.