Author Topic: Barnabas, Roxanne and Julia  (Read 992 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Barnabas, Roxanne and Julia
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:39:46 PM »
Fans,

Thanks to an incredible sale on Amazon Vendor, I found DVD set #22 (for seventeen bucks plus change!) and it arrived last night.  While test driving the discs, I revisited the episode where [spoiler]Barnabas met Regular Time Roxanne Drew for the first time at Sebastian Shaw's parlor.  I'd forgotten how poignantly Frid portrayed Barnabas' mingled joy and desire at meeting "his" Roxanne again.  I found myself thinking, "he's overjoyed to see her, and some girls would think he's a really creepy old man, but she's being nice." 

I have to admit I Laughed Out Loud at the scene where Julia picked up the phone on Roxanne's call to cancel her dinner plans with Barnabas.  The look on Julia's face was truly priceless!  And then, the scene where Barnabas comes in like a little boy with a new candy cane and Julia is trying so hard not to roll her eyes.  The dialogue actually gave her the line, "Barnabas, why does it always have to be me who tries to tell you ..."   Another priceless moment.

I have to admit that the crowning gem was when Barnabas, with visibly controlled anger, informed her:  "Julia, I am seldom wrong about people!"  It was a wonder Julia didn't choke on her reassuring-therapist response "That's true ..."[/spoiler]

I think of the Summer of 1970 as a less-than-successful period in the show's history, but this episode certainly was memorable ... and fun!

cheers, Gothick

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: Barnabas, Roxanne and Julia
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:16:27 AM »
Yeah, we love Barnabas, but he was a tad...shall we say...self deluded?   [cool9]

Especially when it came to women.   [gorgeous]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 04:49:17 AM »
A tad??  [8_1_202]  I love Barnabas but all he looks are SYT when he has the REAL DEAL standing in front of him!!  [hall2_sad]  WOW! I am getting ready to start buying the intoduction of Barney DVDS so hopefully I can find some good deals on Amazon!!  Thanks Gothick! [skull_winks]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »
I tend to think that the kind of close relationship Julia and Barnabas already have is under-appreciated.   Things are what they are.   
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »
Agreed.  There are all kinds of intimacy.  And wherever Barn's hormones led him, his most lasting and intimate relationship was still with Julia.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 04:52:05 AM »
I watched that episode recently and I have to say I laughed my head off when Barnabas said he was seldom wrong about anybody. Um, does the name ANGELIQUE ring a bell, Barnabas?

When Julia said 'that's true' I believe she was probably thinking in her mind 'but only in your deluded subconscious.'

Still love Barnabas, but yes he was self deluded when he wanted to be.