Author Topic: #0297/0298: Robservations 01/02/02: Vampire Babysitter  (Read 1318 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#0297/0298: Robservations 01/02/02: Vampire Babysitter
« on: January 01, 2002, 11:42:10 AM »
297 - (KLS) - To live, to exist, is to expose oneself to the momentary dangers that surround us. We can never be sure when these perils will arise, for jeopardy does not respect time, and we must be prepared for the encounter.

Sam and Joe keep vigil over Maggie, who awakens chipper and in a good mood. She isn't thrilled to learn they don't want to her reclaim her job at the coffee shop, and upset to think she has to be watched over this way.
They may be afraid, but she'll be damned if SHE is going to live her life in fear! If they want, they can hover over her like the royal queen, but she's not buying into it!

Maggie is reading a book in her room when Sarah appears at the French doors (why are they so open, anyway?) Maggie is a trifle puzzled at the child's familiarity with her, as when Sarah calls her "my very best friend." It's clear that Maggie has forgotten Sarah, too, but Maggie agrees to play catch, and they have a rousing chorus of "London Bridge" as they toss it back and forth. It's soon obvious to Sarah, however, that Maggie doesn't remember her,
and, hurt, Sarah says only her doll remembers her. She takes it and leaves.

Maggie and Sam look over the drawing the latter did of Sarah, and Maggie begs her father to find her--she is sure the child knows about the missing weeks of her life.

Barnabas drops by the cottage to see how Maggie's doing, and Sam leaves the vampire to babysit his daughter while he goes to deliver a painting. Barnabas gently quizzes Maggie about her loss of memory, and suggests it might be a safety factor in her favor that she doesn't recall what happened. She's very friendly toward him, giving no hint that she knows him as anything other than a kindly Collins cousin paying a social visit. He asks if she saw the man who kidnapped her, does she think she'd recognize him, and she says she doesn't know for sure. She tells Barnabas about the little girl, Sarah, 8 or 9, in an old-fashioned dress, who claims to have sang London Bridge and played with her
(and did all this information give him a start!) Maggie thinks this child could help lead her to a return of her memory, and Barnabas realizes this could also mean her kidnapper would then be caught. "Something will have to be done," says Barnabas to Maggie in a classic understatement of double entendre.

A do-it-yourself kind of guy, Barnabas shows up in Maggie's room later, while she sleeps. He takes a pillow and is about to smother her
when he hears Sarah's voice singing "London Bridge." He drops the pillow, backing away from Maggie's bed, hoarsely whispering, "Sarah, what do you want from me?" Slowly, fear, sorrow and puzzlement on his face, he retreats out into the night and flees.

298 - (Alexandra Moltke) - A brilliant morning sun warms the walls of Collinwood, and on the surface all is peaceful and serene. But within the great house, there is one who senses danger in the peacefulness of the morning sunshine--one who senses approaching terrors that are as yet unseen and unknown.

I still remember the first time I saw today's first shot of Carolyn, in vivid color, standing on the landing in Collinwood, lost in thought. My mother and I both gasped at how gorgeous she looked.

Although Carolyn expresses to Liz happiness that Maggie is alive and Joe's got her back, she's inexplicably nervous.
Something terrible is going to happen, and soon, the predicts, to Liz' consternation.

Burke stops by--he wants Liz to take him to check out Seaview; he's seriously thinking of buying it. Liz retrieves the key and deed, which, oddly, says, "not for sale." Carolyn comes along with them to Seaview and finds the house charming, but Liz feels a terrible clamminess and says she doesn't like the place. Burke is anxious to know what price she's asking for it, and it's soon obvious to Liz that he wants to buy the house because Vicki loves it. He admits she's right and asks how she feels about that.
She approves, she says, with the air of a happy mother-in-law to be.

Vicki is at the cottage with Maggie, jogging her memory. The names "Josette" and "Barnabas" get a rise out of Maggie, but just when it looks like there's going to be a breakthrough
(Maggie's even remembered a coffin!), Julia knocks at the door. She pretends she's there to see Sam, but when she overhears Maggie closing in on a memory of Barnabas, she intervenes immediately and shows the girls her pretty medallion. Julia requests a cup of tea and Vicki volunteers to fix it, leaving Maggie alone with Julia, who proceeds to hypnotize Maggie,
once again erasing her burgeoning memories. By the time Vicki returns with the tea, Maggie's mind is once again blank about what she was starting to remember. The girls are upset, but Julia smiles triumphantly over her teacup.

NOTES: I believe Julia's growing feelings of love for Barnabas had their origin in this episode; certainly her jealousy reared its ugly head! Lucky for Barnabas Julia showed up when she did, because Maggie was going to tell all to Vicki--and wouldn't that have spelled disaster for the nervous vampire? Maggie didn't retain her forgetfulness long, either, did she? Julia seemed to sure it would stay buried for a lot longer than that!

Carolyn's feelings of approaching doom are fairly new to the blonde teenager. She's growing up, and into the psychic sensations that might have been handed down from Pansy or Leticia Faye!

Poor Maggie, you start to wonder if all these "forget" sessions are going to somehow fry out her brain. It's got to have unfortunate repercussions somewhere!

Burke loves Vicki and wants to settle down, and Liz is fine with it! What a difference from the embittered man who came to Collinsport, seeking revenge against the Collins family! Love (and the fact that an entirely different actor is playing him) has changed him into a nice guy that Liz likes! (Although I suspect she always had a warm spot for him, even in their darkest disagreements.)

Love, Robin