Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0660  (Read 2303 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0660
« on: October 24, 2008, 05:13:02 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0660
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
Well-written episode.  Barnabas's fervent belief that he could save Vicky was made far more effective by the contrast with Julia's skepticism.

I cannot refrain from noting that Eagle Hill Cemetery, originally about 5 miles from Collinwood, now seems to be on the estate, quite close to the great house.  It's nothing new.  I just can't keep my mouth shut about it, that's all.

Nice bit at Stokes's house, when Barnabas suggested that he himself was from another century, and Julia sprang up, coughing.  It was clearly a real cough on Grayson Hall's part, and she used it very effectively.  I wonder: what does Stokes think of what Barnabas said?  I very much doubt that Stokes suspects Barnabas of having been a vampire.  But he knows - if I remember correctly - that Cassandra was Angelique, and that the target of the dream curse was Barnabas.  Therefore he should have been open to the idea that Barnabas was the original Barnabas Collins, and open to the idea of letting Barnabas try out the herb.  Oh, well, I guess Julia brought Barnabas to his senses.  Maybe she slapped him with her gloves when we weren't looking.

Barnabas acted like a stereotypical grown-up with the kids.  Learned it from his father, I guess.  At least he treats David and Amy better than he treated Adam.

Now Amy's overjoyed that they're not going to Boston.  As I said, she's a strange child.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:59:33 PM »
So now we know that Quentin isn't strong enough to leave his room and why he needs the children to do his bidding out about in the Great House.  I have a hard time with Julia's protests to Barnabas considering she has  seen and done many things that are not rational and she was witness to Victoria going into the past and returning. 
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 11:20:13 AM »
But Vicky didn't have any control over her excursion to 1795 the first time, and Barnabas has no certain knowledge of what happened on Vicky's second time-trip.  Julia is absolutely right.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 04:04:18 AM »
This is one of those moments that Barnabas needs to be slap upside his head.  [BOO]

I loved the cough. Priceless!!
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 04:57:30 AM »
I have a hard time with Julia's protests to Barnabas considering she has  seen and done many things that are not rational and she was witness to Victoria going into the past and returning.

True.  However, I kind of had to wonder (like Julia must have been) if he was gonna time travel and save Victoria, how in the hell was he gonna do it?  Sure Victoria travelled back but that was via a weird seance time suspension thingy.  How would he manage such a feat?   Oh who am I kidding?  This is the woman who brought a man to life and tried to cure a vampire!   I LOVE YOU JULIA!  YOU ROCK!  More later.  I have to say [spoiler] I always thought the way Barnbabs time travels was the weakest way ever explored on the series! [/spoiler] JMO!   [skelleton_runs]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 06:18:30 AM »
JWGucciEnvy, wow, you've caught up to the Watching Project!  [hello] [_witch_]

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »
Thanks Midnite for noticing.!! I worked very hard to get to this point!!   [hall2_wink]

Time Travel is really out of Julia's field. It's not medical. I just found it funny that Barnabas acts like he can Time Travel at the drop of a hat.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:52:33 PM »
You just made me picture Barnabas accidentally dropping some old hat of his onto the floor that he didn't realize was his Lucky Time Hat, and then zooming back to the exact point in the past that he'd wanted to transport himself to.   I also picture him as not being all that surprised or impressed by it....!  After all, he knew he'd get back there somehow....

[female_skull]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 07:02:04 AM »
I worked very hard to get to this point!!   [hall2_wink]

Time Travel is really out of Julia's field. It's not medical. I just found it funny that Barnabas acts like he can Time Travel at the drop of a hat.

Basically I was saying the same thing.  He just seemed nonchalant thinking he could go back in time right to the point he wants!  It was lazy writing I thought!

Yes JW..glad you joined us and caught up and I am for one enjoying your posts!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 03:23:07 PM »
i didn't care for this little subplot..and the introduction of yet a third vicki...that much either.

but from what i understand it was very hastily written into the middle of another storyline to pacify fans who were unhappy that vicki had just disappeared into the past with no explanation of what had happened to her.it didn't really change anything in the present or effect the continuity of the rest of the storyline.

and if barnabas could so nonchalantly travel back in time perhaps he could travel back to say,the day he met angelique,and spare himself and everyone else this aggravation in the first place.

b.t.w. i think i read somewhere that the producers actually did try and get betsy durkin back for this but that she was in london doing a play and it wasn't worth it for her to travel back for just a few episodes.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »
I think it was great that they finished off Victoria Winters' story in this way.  A satisfying, happy ending for once.   She really does lose herself in the past as so many warned her she would, but in the best sense, if you don't believe the Jeb thing.   If only AM had been there for it.   If they really were considering having BD just disappear, and that's it, that's awful.

I guess anything could have happened once they left the Old House, they could have been captured five minutes later, or an asthmatic snake could have pushed her off a cliff or something, or maybe Peter gets in a fight with Daniel Boone, I don't know.   Somehow it still looked like a happy ending, so I'm taking it.

Barnabas saying a gracious goodbye to the two of them, maybe this is the sequel to that scene in Vicki's room at Collinwood, where he did the indelicate, self-absorbed proposal.  Bookends.   A nice symmetry.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 03:05:43 AM »
Thanks Taeylor Collins!! [skelleton_runs]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 04:32:41 AM »
I guess anything could have happened once they left the Old House, they could have been captured five minutes later, or an asthmatic snake could have pushed her off a cliff or something, or maybe Peter gets in a fight with Daniel Boone, I don't know.   Somehow it still looked like a happy ending, so I'm taking it.

LOL! And yes I seriously Laugh Out Loud!  Thanks for making me smile and laugh MT! Your are funny!  An ashmatic snake!  [8_1_202]

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 09:43:04 AM »
Stokes asks if he thinks him some sort of travel agent for time (LOL!--a great line).
I agree with Robin! I LOL, also.  [laughing1] This reminds me of Dr. McCoy in the original Star Trek, when he said things like, "I'm a doctor, not a..." (Fill in the blank.) So funny! [hall_cheesy]

I thought it was pretty neat when the empty grave, then filled in grave, and then Vicki's tombstone appeared. It made it seem like the past and the present were happening concurrently. I really like that aspect of DS. That happened during the 1897 storyline, too. [hall2_wink]

Even though Alexandra Moltke didn't play Vicki, and we had to endure yet another replacement actress, I'm glad that we got to have some "closure" with Vicki and Peter, and we got to see them have a "happy ending". [love3] [spoiler]It's too bad the writers had to spoil it during the Leviathan storyline.  [snake]  [devil2][/spoiler]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]