Author Topic: Mitch Ryan as.....Jeremiah?  (Read 4514 times)

IluvBarnabas

Mitch Ryan as.....Jeremiah?
« on: October 22, 2008, 03:03:04 PM »
I loved Mitch's portrayal of Burke Devlin, and I know many on here do too, and I do kinda wish he had stayed on. But if he had stayed....how would he have done in the role of Jeremiah?

I do think Anthony George made a great Jeremiah and, odd as it seems, I think he clicked more with Alexandra as Jeremiah than he did as Burke (I know....strange, but it's how I feel).

I really don't know if I could see Mitch pulling the role off, fine actor that he is. But I've been wrong before.

What does anyone think?

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Mitch Ryan as.....Jeremiah?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:49:06 AM »
I would have to agree.  Mitch Ryan did do a better Burke, being far more aggressive in his portrayal.  But I do like Anthony George's portrayal of Jeremiah because he was far more soft-spoken.  I think Ryan's approach would be far gruffer and hence less sympathetic.

Gerard

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:12:43 AM »
Somehow, I cannot wrap my head around Mitch Ryan in powder blue 18th Century attire....
[jawdrp]
Though, granted I have as yet only seen in the pre-Barn eps up to [spoiler]the death of Bill Malloy....[/spoiler]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 04:27:26 AM »
If Mitch Ryan had played Jeremiah, the character would have been written and costumed differently.  I can imagine him giving off a few wry looks conveying how strange he found it to be in love with Josette, whereas Anthony George tended to look confused by the situation.  Also, Jeremiah’s complete lack of interest in Millicent would have been more interesting.

Additionally, Jeremiah would have lived longer, because Mitch Ryan would (I assume) have had no thought of leaving the show.  I’ve mentioned before that I think that if Jeremiah had lived, there could have been some interesting interactions between Jeremiah, Josette, Barnabas, and Vicky, since Jeremiah had shown some interest in Vicky before Angelique had messed with his mind, and Barnabas in 1967 had shown himself to be capable of falling in love with Vicky.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:32:10 AM »
Drifting OT, but you think Ryan might have shown back up as Burke after 1795 [spoiler](perhaps the lone survivor of that plane crash?)[/spoiler]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »
I can imagine him giving off a few wry looks conveying how strange he found it to be in love with Josette, whereas Anthony George tended to look confused by the situation.  Also, Jeremiah’s complete lack of interest in Millicent would have been more interesting.
But he was supposed to be confused...he was under Ang's spell.

I'm not sure I understand about 'Jeremiah's complete lack on interest in Millicent' is supposed to mean...can you expound Lydia?

Thanks,

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »
Once DC fires someone, they do not return.  Timothy Gordon could have played a new Burke though.

Drifting OT, but you think Ryan might have shown back up as Burke after 1795 [spoiler](perhaps the lone survivor of that plane crash?)[/spoiler]

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »
Mitch Ryan was one of my favorite actors on the show early on. It's too bad he couldn't control himself and had to get fired. I never did like Anthony George as Burke and/or Jeremiah. I think if Mitch had played Jeremiah, he'd have brought a very edgy quality to the role. Instead, we got bland, bland, bland, IMHO. [devil2]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 02:41:41 PM »
Once DC fires someone, they do not return.  Timothy Gordon could have played a new Burke though.
Ooops, I didn't make myself clear.  [spoiler]What I meant was if Ryan had never left, would the character of Burke have returned[/spoiler]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
I am imagining that a Ryan Jeremiah might be more like pre-Barn Burke, more at odds with Joshua (the way Burke and Roger were).  He'd never be in powder blue and he'd look like a old salt seaman crammed into tails and ruffles.  He'd be frustrated that he didn't have his own fortune and is tied to Joshua's purse strings, and his interest in Millicent would be for her money and nothing else, and not to add to the Maine family wealth (Joshua's plan) but to have his own money.  He would of course, not be as predatory as Nathan, possibly because Vicki would appeal to his better nature, and the he end up throwing that all away anyway because of Angelique's spell.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 03:54:26 PM »
I'm not sure I understand about 'Jeremiah's complete lack on interest in Millicent' is supposed to mean...can you expound Lydia?
I think Nelson Collins has indicated pretty well what I meant - i.e. that Joshua was hoping that Jeremiah would marry their cousin Millicent in order to keep her money in the Collins family, but Jeremiah would have nothing to do with her.  I thought that, for the viewers, knowledge of the history between Carolyn and Mitch Ryan's Burke might add a little something to that interplay.  But I like Nelson's idea that Mitch Ryan's Jeremiah might not be so quick to veto Millicent.  After Jeremiah's death, Joshua mentioned in passing that Jeremiah's estate was larger than expected, but that needn't have been the case.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 04:02:19 PM »
Mitch Ryan staying on DS changes things considerably.

[spoiler]Burke wouldn't have been in a plane crash[/spoiler]

and he would have been in the story right up to & after 1795.  

With an MR Jeremiah, they may have kept the original idea of Josette coming to marry him (at the beginning of 1795 they may have already been married and with a son- Daniel perhaps).

Angelique could still have been Josette's maidservant & living in Collinwood all those years with Barnabas later marrying her while pining secretly for Josette.

After Josette's suicide and Vicky accused of withcraft, Jeremiah may have represented her instead of Peter Bradford.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »
I think Nelson Collins has indicated pretty well what I meant - i.e. that Joshua was hoping that Jeremiah would marry their cousin Millicent in order to keep her money in the Collins family, but Jeremiah would have nothing to do with her.  I thought that, for the viewers, knowledge of the history between Carolyn and Mitch Ryan's Burke might add a little something to that interplay.

Oh, duh, I didn't even think of this...thanks!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 01:14:24 PM »
I thought that, for the viewers, knowledge of the history between Carolyn and Mitch Ryan's Burke might add a little something to that interplay. 
I see that the writers might have been going for that and it kind of works on paper, and maybe it did work for long time viewers at the time.  Unfortunately (for me anyway)  AG's primary association for me would have been Vicki, because even though Ryan's Burke dallied with Carolyn, it's George's Burke was already involved with Vicki and had little to do with Carolyn.

Do Jeremiah and Millicent even share any scenes together at all?  I recall Joshua talking to Jeremiah about trying to get them together, but I don't remember if they even ever actually meet onscreen.  It seems like subplot died almost before it was born.

1795 is a curious beast, in a way the most unlike among all the Time Travel stories where that interplay between actor/character associations across the timelines are not nearly as numerous as they become later, BF/KLS being pretty much the only one in 1795.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 02:04:09 PM »
BF/KLS?  Who is BF?