Author Topic: DS DVD Set 2 Delayed  (Read 893 times)

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
DS DVD Set 2 Delayed
« on: June 17, 2002, 02:11:57 AM »
According to Amazon.com, the DS DVD set #2 is now not coming out July 30th as originally stated, but instead it will be out on August 27, 2002.  I had noticed on MPI's website that under coming attractions for July the DS DVD set was not listed so I visited Amazon and saw that it had been delayed.

Richard Holt

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: DS DVD Set 2 Delayed
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2002, 01:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I noticed that the Amazon listing for Set 2 now contains the new cover art as well.

Joe

Offline doombuggy69

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2002, 08:45:31 PM »
Actually the DVD's are not being delayed. MPI announced last month that the release schedule has been changed to a new set every 3 months, instead of the originally planned 2 month schedule. I am not happy about this decision at all. If they stick to this time table, it will take years to get the entire series.  

Offline Raholt

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2002, 05:23:23 AM »
Well, considering it took them 5 years to get the entire series out on video tape, releasing a new set of 4 videos every month (with a fews gaps here and there).  I suppose they plan to draw it out like that again, and with the 3 month schedule it will take longer than that to get them all out.  However marketing wise it is a good stradegy to keep interest running high and not glut the market with too much product all at once.  MPI saw what happened once they had released all the episodes on video.  Not long afterward, demand and interest dropped as there was no longer anything new to look forward to on a consistent bases.  I'm sure that sells declined and so they want to keep interest and demand high for as long as possible.  However had they stuck with the every other month schedule it would have made the release schedule consistent with the video release schedule, which was 48 new videos a year.  Since the DVD's contain the equalivant of 8 videos or two video 4 pak sets, it would have worked out to be the same amount of episodes release per year as was released with the videos per year.  

Now I had heard mention made of this quarterly release schedule but that was at the same time that the release date for set 2 was going up on the Amazon and other sites so I figured it would go to that cycle after set 2 not starting from the beginning.

Richard Holt