Author Topic: Normality  (Read 1353 times)

Offline Lindsey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Normality
« on: June 16, 2002, 05:36:16 AM »
Hey all! As everyone knows, Dark Shadows started out as a gothic soap opera and eventually turned supernatural. With this change, we saw the characters doing less and less "normal" things. Sometimes, you actually see the characters doing fun things, instead of fretting over some looming disaster. My dad and I always joke about this, when we see a scene like this. "Look! They're actually doing something enjoyable!"  :o What are some scenes you can remember where the characters seemed almost "normal"?

One that sticks out very clearly to me is when in 1970 RT, after they return from 1995, Maggie and David (maybe some others I don't remember) go on a picnic. It just seemed so casual.

Also, a more recent one was when Julia beeped her horn at Barnabas. That whole scene cracked me up.

-Lindsey
"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Normality
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2002, 07:54:40 AM »
Most of the things that I can remember come from earlier in the series--mainly people dining and dancing at the Blue Whale.  Also, I remember David playing on a swing near the Old House.  Was that when he met Sarah?

Roger was trying to teach Cassandra how to play chess a few days ago.  Does that count?

ProfStokes  

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2002, 09:29:49 AM »
The only "normal" scene that I can think of right now is when Vicky was having dinner with Frank Garner, (I think it was in Bangor, not sure)

Another early scene I can think of that was considered "normal" for the show was when Roger took Vicky down to the Cannery to show her where he worked.  After that, we did'nt get to see to many outdoor scenes except of course when someone was trampling through the woods. :)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2002, 01:50:31 PM »
I recall a scene in which Julia was smoking excessively, very nervous about something, and Vicki came into the drawing room and noted all the butts in the ashtray.  She asked Julia about it.

After Carolyn runs from her mother's aborted wedding to Jason McGuire, Carolyn returns to assure her mother that they will fight her murder charge.  Liz didn't really murder her husband, Paul Stoddard, and mother and daughter shared a wonderful moment of love and trust.

Vicki's stories about her orphanage experiences struck of normalcy, too,and  even though they became a bit annoying after a while, they tended to be touching most of the time.  I also remember scenes in which Vicki was teaching David; we saw actual lessons.  He usually changed the conversation to other things, but these were very normal (and dull, IMHO) scenes.

Some of the early restaurant scenes seemed normal, with other patrons in the Collinsport Inn coffee shop or other restaurants.  I especially remember a fancy restaurant in Bangor where Vicki dined with Frank, and, separately, Burke.  Carolyn and Burke also had a dinner there.

Most of the "normal" scenes happened in the year before Barnabas joined the show.  Once Curtis decided to go all out with the spook stuff, as he called it, normalcy went down the tubes.

Love, Robin  

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2002, 03:41:31 PM »
Reading the newspaper, "The Collinsport Star".  It did seem like a rather large paper, however, for such a pitzy town.  Usually Roger was the one reading it (probably the stock reports and Ann Landers).  I also liked watching Mrs. Johnson going around dusting things.  And, of course, Carolyn doing the bee-bop to the juke box at the Blue Whale.  Then there's Maggie - beautiful, gorgeous, lovely Maggie - at the Evans home, ALWAYS bringing out coffee.  She must've had Juan Valdez locked up in the kitchen - lucky Juan!

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2002, 12:57:13 AM »
Julia would always be seen sitting near the fireplace  reading a book--at Collinwood or the Old House ..that seemed rather normal. . .okay sometimes it was books on lycanthropy. . .
Julia99

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2002, 02:20:58 AM »
I too enjoyed the car honk. And the scene on Friday (I think) that Barney was using the telephone as Julia gave him the phone number. I expected him to pick it up and say "Now, HOW do I use this?" Instead, he asked for the number. It was very commonplace, and that made it rather weird.

It may have been normal for the others to frequent the Blue Whale, but it struck me very strangely when Barney first did. He never seems quite to fit in anywhere other than Collinwood or the Old House.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2002, 05:24:20 AM »
Do you wonder if, when Julia and Barnabas were motoring around, they had the radio on?  I'm just picturing them driving along, singing to the Dave Clark Five.

Gerard

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 06:59:54 AM »
Do you wonder if, when Julia and Barnabas were motoring around, they had the radio on?  I'm just picturing them driving along, singing to the Dave Clark Five.

Gerard

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has wondered about this ::) .. what station would Julia have her radio tuned to?  1) classics, 2) soft jazz, 3) local talk radio, 4) news or 5) lite rock?  
Julia99

Offline Dawn

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2002, 07:36:53 AM »
Personally I vote for light jazz.  Sounds like a topic to post for discussion J99.  Dawn
To live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die.