Author Topic: Prop Project: The Skeleton  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Prop Project: The Skeleton
« on: October 05, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »
I assume that the various skeletons that are seen on Dark Shadows are all the same one skeleton, stowed away in a closet when not in use.  Does anybody know if it is a real skeleton?  Is there any way of telling by looking at it?  Is there anything about it that tells us its sex or age?  Is there anything interesting or remarkable about it at all?

Here's where I can remember seeing a skeleton:

In the dream curse: the skeleton bride.

In Dr. Lang's lab, providing a medical atmosphere.

Sometime during 1968, after a certain séance is held in the Old House basement [spoiler]and Trask's ghost comes out to play.[/spoiler]

Again in the Old House basement in 1968, in an episode in the early-ish 600s when [spoiler]Eve's body turns to a skeleton.[/spoiler]

In Quentin's inner sanctum, in an episode in the 640s.

In 1897, in an episode in the 850s, as the remains of a woman [spoiler]whom Petofi tried to I-Ching into the future[/spoiler]

I'm sure there are lots of other times, but I can't think of them offhand.  Can anybody else?

My usual question about collectibles doesn't really work here.  After all, how would you tell a Dark Shadows skeleton from a non-Dark Shadows skeleton?  Maybe the Dark Shadows skeleton would be sold with a wig.

How are the bones in skeletons stuck together?  Are they wobbly?  All the various times that somebody or other suddenly turns into a skeleton, I never thought about the Dark Shadows crew hastily substituting the skeleton for the body.  "Darn, the jawbone fell off.  Hey, Grayson, could you casually drape your arm over the skeleton so the viewers won't notice?"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Prop Project: The Skeleton
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 02:59:24 AM »
There was [spoiler]Quentin/Trask/whoever in Q's room in 1969.  That I-Chinged trollop in 1897 was genuinely scary.   Totally unexpected, and I may have yelped aloud...[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 10:57:41 AM »
I noticed myself back in the 90's when I collecting the series on VHS that it was the same skeleton they were using.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
Skeleton sighting: Episode 649, in a mirror.[spoiler]Seen by Madam Findley, in Quentin's room.[/spoiler]Wigless, if I remember correctly.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:45:12 PM »
I know at one point in ca. 1968 it showed up with its skullbones scotch-taped together.  I thought that was some sort of ultimate benchmark of Dark Shadows--like Barnabas delaying the start of a take to complain that his coffin was too short.  Priceless.

G.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 09:05:53 AM »
Oh, so the real reason the skeleton kept having a wig was to hide the Scotch tape?

I was wrong in my previous post: in episode 649, the skeleton did have a wig, but was a short-haired one.

Reading through a recently-updated Watching Project post, I noticed that the skeleton, with a wig, was used in a dream in episode 617.[spoiler]Roger saw Vicky turn into a skeleton bride in the dream, and woke up believing (erroneously, surely!) that it would be a bad idea for Vicky to marry Jeff.[/spoiler]Great dream.

I find myself putting more spoiler alerts in this topic than in other Prop Project topics, because the use of the skeleton usually involves an advancement of the plot.  Hmm...how many people turn into skeletons during the series?

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
The skeleton show up without fanfare - without even a comment from the characters in the scene - in episode 933, when Quentin and Amanda are traveling from death to life.  I'm sure the skeleton was supposed to contribute to the atmosphere of terror, but all I could think was: "Hey, long time no see!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 10:11:29 AM »
Nice to see that after the guy died, he managed to hang himself up neatly on the cave wall....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 12:12:46 PM »
There's a capture from that scene of the CTP/FITBs-Y4 board:

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 06:50:31 AM »
The skeleton shows up twice in episode 966 – or anyway, it may show up twice.  The first time, it's sitting in a chair, and you can clearly see the shiny little what’s-it’s at the the top of the head that's used to hang it up.  The second time, it's lying on the ground.  We see it as if we were standing at its head, rather than at its side, and its ribcage looked quite fake to me.  I was wondering if they'd brought in an auxiliary skeleton, especially since the second appearance came rather soon after the first appearance.  But it may just have been that the angle from which we were looking at the ribcage was not one with which I'm familiar.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 06:51:21 AM »
The skeleton is seen at the end of episode 1005 and the beginning of episode 1006, hanging from something.  I noticed the latitudinal line in the skull quite clearly in 1006.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »
We got another look at the skeleton in episode 1007.  For all the talk about Thayer David playing the most roles on Dark Shadows, I say the skeleton's got him beat.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »
The skeleton returned to a previous role in episodes 1167 and 1168, in the Old House basement.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2011, 09:46:29 AM »
The skeleton played a 1680 character in episodes 1224 and 1225.