Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #03  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #03
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:36:02 AM »
LOVE. THAT. TRAILER.  I don't understand how that couldnt have excited anyone! THANKS MB   [wavey]   I love that ghost!   [BOO]

Finally got my review typed up.   Tomorrow an new episdoe! YAY! While I was typing up this review I turned on one of the DS soundtracks and it was quite effective at keeping me focused!  Hope you all enjoy and hopefully it will set off some questions or responses to liven this thread back up!

Barnabas is still very HATEFUL!  I don’t like what he says to Julia when she comes in.  Like it’s her fault?  She is experimenting Barney!  Do you know what that word means?  She is breaking new ground!  :P I love that line “My base line sample” and I ALWAYS laugh!  Me and a friend always laugh at that line so that is probably why! ;) However,  I think also  it’s the way BS pronounces sample!  I love her accent as it is slightly different than Jean Simmons and/or Ben Crosses and gives her a different edge.  Great stuff between BS and BC, they do have a great chemistry.  On the contrary to other people’s views I do love Barnabas' speech.  I have been in terrible pain and tried to describe it.  Of course I didn’t describe it so poetically but hey I am not a 200 year old vampire either! I think it is classic DS ’91 dialogue and I ALWAYS remember a lot of the lines from this opening scene and episode in general

I love the red lights effect in Julia’s lab.  I absolutely always laugh when Julia jumps when the blood pops. It reminds me of another actress ;)

“All all that’s best of dark and light meet in her aspect and her eyes!”  Thank you Dark Shadows.  I had never heard that at the age of 14 and you introduced me to it.  I love when art leads you to other art!   I absolutely enjoyed Barnabas recounting of the WIDOWS WAIL story.  However, this scene (on DVD) is very distracting because in my opinion you can obviously see that it’s the middle of a sunny California day.  Could you compare them MB with screencaps?

I am glad that David is warming up to Victoria.  I know it’s been a short time however, I do think Victoria has been there longer than really portrayed on screen. How do we know what time has elapsed between episodes!? I also think that David and Victoria bonded over Daphne’s death and that he finally found a replacement perhaps for his mother?  There could be lots we are not seeing on screen.  And that is sad but it’s really not Dan’s fault.  If they would have picked up DS the first go around (Which I think  was pretty much a certainity by the Suits and DC), I believe it would have lasted.  How long I don’t know but I feel like we would have had gotten the back order for more episodes if it had launched in the fall.  Back on point:  I also really love the Sarah and David scenes!  They were both good little actors!

Ten weeks have passed.  For those who do not know what the awesome DS ’91 Comics consisted of then let me tell you.  They were constructed to be in that 10 week time frame we didn’t see and they gave you so much more background to the DS story. A lot more character development as well. They even revealed that Victoria [spoiler]was Elizabeth’s daughter[/spoiler].  She was talking to Roger about it. Unfortunately Innovation went out of business and once again we were left on a cliffhanger! GOOD LORD!  I have seen them on EBay and they are usually not expensive at all.  I thought I would be sitting on a gold mine alas I am not!  It’s just as well because I wouldn’t part with them anyway. [8_1_1]

I really like the scenes with Barnabas, Willie and Julia.  They were a good combo too!  I like the exposition about getting old and the fact that Julia notices a gray hair!  I think the scene with the mirror is very touching and I also think that if Barnabas had said, to me, the things he did to Julia I probably would have thought he was attracted to me!  We also have to remember that 10 weeks have passed so they have probably spent much time together and forged a bond. BS looks gorgeous in these scenes and it looks like she has a miniskirt on too.  It’s above her knee.  How appropriate! For someone who is linked with B movies she is a fantabulous actress! 

Again the music is extraordinarily marvelous! ROBERT COBERT out did himself with this one.  Just a great score that keeps one entranced!!  The low base just booms over my surround sound.  It’s beautiful! It has been three years since I watched this and I didn’t have surround sound then.

I hadn’t noticed the changed Josette portrait as a teen or adult.  Thanks for pointing that out!  I like the second one better!  I didn’t notice it in my repetevie watching of the show over the years.  I didn’t ever get the MPI I just watched my old VHS because I knew it would be on DVD.  I thought MPI would do that though and include all the extra stuff. Hindsight is 20/20 I would prefer to have the vids! 

Love MTW he is so sexy and a great actor.  Love the wifebetear and his good ‘ole boy plaid shirt looking self! I guess Joe has been staying at Collinwood!   [10]

I love the pull down shot of Michael Woodards cottage by the sea  and great lighting in these scenes with Julia and him.  Another department I cannot praise enough is the lighting dept. BS presence is amazing.  It’s palpable.  She commands such a strong demeanor! Love it!

Beautiful scene with Joanna and Ben and their first love scene is HOT!!  It’s so not hot though watching it on DS RESURRECTED because Dan is telling them what to do.  [director]  That must be weird!  That is what actors are good at though. This scene, I think, also shows how the whole vampire and sex theme go together. I mean obviously as a male I know how just kissing can get me revved up.   I feel for Barnabas.  I feel that this scene also is quite spooky, haunting and heartbreaking with him standing right there with the woman he cares for, back turned, an animal trying to fight his true nature!   BC and JG were great in this scene!! I feel sorry for B because he seems to PHYSCIALLY hurt. When I was young and KNEW I was gay I identified with B so much.

WOW! Barbara’s nails! Who can say that Julia isn’t glamorous! Hmmph!  I think B really put J in a bad situation. The stock footage sun looked grainy!!  There is a great shot of J in front of the window as the sun illuminates her like the GODDESS she is.  I will post it! 

Again BS is stunning in her black pants, silver belt, black blouse and perfectly painted face with FIERCE red lips. The Old House foyer is gorgeous.  I think B does have super sonic vampire hearing.  He apparently heard what Julia and everyone was conversing about in the foyer!  I remember being so TENSE during this scene as a teen.  [hall_grin]  LOL I also love BS dark eye makeup and they way she is painted.  It adds so much to the character!

More BC chest please, I think I get my request soon!  [hall_wink] It was really sweet when Willie was tending to Barnabas and talked about teaching him to drive. 

Great to see Elizabeth and I think this scene shows the authority she commands as a character and Jean as an actress!  Woodard is sloppy!  Cool that there is a lily pond at Collinwood!  Gothick, this is the episode where Julia says, “I’m afraid the professor is been acting a bit dotty lately” and I love that line! The professor is very stupid and “a fool” indeed.

I think the model is effective when it is bombarded by the elements! I didn’t pick up on the fact that it was a model as a teen .I love how Barnabas is putting out the candles with his fingers and a great shot when he turns to Julia.  I love the floors of The Old House and have noticed the mansion in lots of stuff because of this foyer alone.

I think the final scene is SOMEWHAT misleading and scary and creepy to an extent.  I love how the music stops when Woodard is about to be attacked! Good effect!  He screwed up! BIG TIME!
A-

I am apparently one of the few people who love this episode.  I enjoyed every minute (almost) of it! I cannot wait till the next installment! YAY! YAY! YAY!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »
Correction:   “I’m afraid the professor has been acting a bit dotty lately”   Again great line.   [candle_in_skull_2]

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Watching Project 2

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 11:56:52 PM »
(I didn't realize until I was just working on the promos for Ep #4 that there was also a voiceover over the closing credits.  [hall2_embarrassed])

Voiceover:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Voiceover_2-3.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/Voiceover_2-3.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »
LOL!  That is priceless!  That announcer was OVER THE TOP and didn't that fit DS perfectly!

Didn't Don LaFontaine do the voice overs for the DS '91 trailers?  He passed away recently and I just hated that. His voice is so familiar he is like an old friend and the voice is truly unmistakable!  He will be surely missed!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 12:48:41 AM »
I believe I'm probably ahead of most people and have just seen Epi 5.  I'm not sure what Epi is being discussed at this time.  I do have to say that I really liked this episode alot!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 02:25:14 AM »
I believe I'm probably ahead of most people and have just seen Epi 5.
Yes, the watching project isn't that far yet.

I'm not sure what Epi is being discussed at this time.
All of the '91 series discussion topics that you see in this board's listing.

I do have to say that I really liked this episode alot!
Please hold that thought for at least another week!! [hall2_smiley]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 06:46:45 AM »
This may be too late to post so I'll just dash off a couple of thoughts.  So far, I've found the DS Revival series to be compelling viewing, but I don't know if I would were I not interested in vampires.  There is generally good interaction between the characters.  Ben Cross and Joanna Going seem to have a real connection in their roles; nearly all of their scenes together work very well.  I like how Barnabas recites poetry ... haven't been able to jot down the words from the poem written by his "namesake" for Josette; would like to google it and see if anything comes up.

The sunlight scene on the landing was very tense and very good.  Ben Cross looked a little too dreadful, though, with his hair all amiss.  Also, his "I cannot help myself" was powerfully done.

The visual look of the interior scenes is outstanding.  I really like the color schemes and the lighting.  And the music is incredibly unique, much if not most lifted from the previous series.

Something I find interesting in this viewing is how some of the characters completely change in their relationships.  For example, Willie goes from terrified to devoted ... Julia goes from good personal friend of Prof. Woodard to near enmity.  The alliances are being drawn.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »
This may be too late to post

It's never too late to post. I haven't even had the chance to watch this ep yet, so who knows when my comments will be coming...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2008, 07:55:51 PM »
I'm also fashionably late to the party...

Technical nitpick:  I’ve had blood drawn before.  The position of the needle in relation to the arm and even the vein were totally wrong.
As he becomes more human, will she need a tourniquet to find his veins?  (Or a cotton ball to stop the bleeding?)  [hall2_tongue]  I love that she just harpoons the vein and she's in, ha ha!

I certainly wouldn’t want to be alone after having learned what I had and not have stakes and crosses and holy water nearby, if not on my person at all times….tsk.tsk.
Who invited Barnabas to enter Woodard's cottage?  The cat?  [hall2_huh]

It seems that at one time there was something going on between Woodard and Julia and maybe his feelings for her are overspilling into what he sees is a potential relationship between her and Barnabas and he's not liking that at all.

I honestly can't recall any hint that their relationship went beyond friendship.  Even a future voiceover refers to them as friends, albeit [spoiler]ones that turn against each other.[/spoiler]

A couple of posts mentioned that some backstory was revealed in the scene between Carolyn and Joe.  We already know she wanted him bad despite his relationship with Daphne.  And I used to think that his pulling away from her was new until I noticed him doing the same thing at Daphne's bedside.  So now I'm thinking that this scene pretty much just serves to tell us that Joe was still around (as if most of us could forget him!) but wouldn't be much longer.  [Cue Carolyn to dial up the desperation]

“All all that’s best of dark and light meet in her aspect and her eyes!”
All that's best of dark and bright  [hall2_wink]

Cool that there is a lily pond at Collinwood!

And there's a really cool one near the front of Greystone.  (A place I know you will visit someday!)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2008, 03:50:38 AM »
Thanks Midnite for correcting that.  Such a beautiful piece!

That is so cool about the lily pond.  I can't wait to see it one day! And thanks for the gentle reminder that things will get better!  [candle_in_skull]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2008, 10:39:23 PM »
The poetry Barnabas reads to Josette in the candlelit chamber in the Old House has been on my mind ... not to mention the Byron poem at Widow's Hill - how appropriate! I've also been reading Edgar Allan Poe lately, and happened on this poem, which I think is very fitting for Barnabas as an address to his lost Josette. As I read it, I can hear Ben Cross's voice as Barnabas.

To One Departed

Seraph! thy memory is to me
Like some enchanted far-off isle
In some tumultuous sea —
Some ocean vexed as it may be
With storms; but where, meanwhile,
Serenest skies continually
Just o'er that one bright island smile.

For 'mid the earnest cares and woes
That crowd around my earthly path,
(Sad path, alas, where grows
Not even one lonely rose!)
My soul at least a solace hath
In dreams of thee; and therein knows
An Eden of bland repose.

- Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 06:46:19 AM »
Absolutely Beautiful, I too imagine Ben reciting it and I found it fit perfectly!  Thanks I hadn't heard that one.  I have to admit I have not read much EAP.  I want to.  It's on my list of the other ZILLION things I wanna do before I die!  To me that would be the best thing about eternal life, you wouldn't miss anything. LOL  But all your friends and family would die and that would be horrid...and I am rambling!!   [skelleton_runs]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:28 PM »
Taeylor Collins,

You may want to read the complete poem "She Walks in Beauty" and a very helpful explanation of it here:

http://ezinearticles.com/?She-Walks-In-Beauty,-A-Discussion-of-the-Poem-by-Lord-Byron&id=80761

I found my understanding and appreciation of the poem greatly increased just from reading this.

Offline Philippe Cordier

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2008, 01:15:10 AM »
I've watched several of these early episodes several times now, but it's hard to keep straight or remember exactly what happened in which episode.  Although I thought this one was fairly good, there were a couple of things I didn't like, which I'm reminded of in some of the preceeding comments.  I didn't like the three gals as vampires in David's nightmare, but I did think the boy actor did a good job when they showed him terrified when Vicki was shaking him awake.

[added by admin]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
An Easy Way To Identify The Eps
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2008, 04:59:51 AM »
I've watched several of these early episodes several times now, but it's hard to keep straight or remember exactly what happened in which episode.

Beginning with Ep #4, the first post in each topic displays a montage for that episode. The montage for Ep #2 is in the discussion topic for Ep #3 because they were shown together as the second night of the miniseries. And the montage for the pilot is in Part 2 of the discussion for it. All of these montages can be referred to to easily identify each ep and refresh one's memory as to what happens in each.  [hall2_wink]  (And the case of the pilot, Ep #2 and Ep #3 the commercial bumper videos can also help.  [hall2_smiley])

Also, I've edited out the comments that referred to Ep #3 that were posted in the discussion topic for Ep #4, and they are now posted in this topic.