Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0645  (Read 1946 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0645
« on: October 03, 2008, 06:27:12 PM »

IluvBarnabas

Re: Discuss - Ep #0645
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:07 PM »
David and Amy are such convincing liars, aren't they? David kind of creeped me out when he told Amy she was his good friend. [hall_shocked] I would think though that Elizabeth should know by now that David isn't always reliable when it comes to telling the truth. Amy is another story since Elizabeth doesn't know her that well yet.

I loved how she said that locked doors have never kept David out of anyplace...truer words have never been spoken! [hall2_grin]

Nice to see Barnabas again, though.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 12:15:16 AM »
It's interesting that it was Amy psychic connection that got them access to Quentin via the phone, but now Quentin seems to have taken over David and sort of made him "in charge" and now Amy is the one out of the loop and getting scared.

Interesting dressing gown Barnabas was wearing, but I miss the more ornate floor length one.

How did they get that crib through panel and into Quentin's room?  Never mind Amy's comment about getting it up the narrow stairs of the secret passage, it looked too big to get through the broken panel in the anteroom outside Quentin's room.

Looks like this ep originally aired on a Friday.  What a cliffhanger!  "Hi, Quentin!"  Cue credits!!!
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »
It's interesting that it was Amy psychic connection that got them access to Quentin via the phone, but now Quentin seems to have taken over David and sort of made him "in charge" and now Amy is the one out of the loop and getting scared.
Yes, I agree.  I assume it's because Quentin was more comfortable taking over a male rather than a female, but I suppose it could also be because the writers might not want to try the dual-personality thing on a child actress with whose abilities they weren't yet familiar.  It would be interesting if Michael Maitland (a year or so younger than when he appeared in the Leviathan storyline) had played David's sidekick instead of Denise Nickerson, and if it had been Michael Maitland's character instead of David who was controlled by Quentin.

How did they get that crib through panel and into Quentin's room?  Never mind Amy's comment about getting it up the narrow stairs of the secret passage, it looked too big to get through the broken panel in the anteroom outside Quentin's room.
Good question.  I don't think Quentin could have given them ghostly help.  My mind keeps getting stuck on "They must have taken the crib apart and put it back together again," but I don't think that's right.

I liked David's sweater.  I coveted David's sweater.

I was surprised that Barnabas immediately knew which “Amy” Elizabeth was talking about at the Old House when she told him that David and Amy had disappeared.  There was no reason for him to assume that it was Amy Jennings, since, as he said, he thought Amy was still at Windcliff.  I daresay the writers wanted to squeeze in the fact that Barnabas had known Amy at Windcliff, but this was a little clumsy.  Oh, well, maybe some dialogue was cut at the last minute.

It's a pity nobody went to look in Eagle Hill cemetery for David and Amy.  I would have liked to see the caretaker again.  But I suppose Roger would pooh-pooh the idea that David was there, even though David was found there last year when he was missing.  And maybe Barnabas, despite the fact that he's no longer a vampire, would prefer not to have people thinking too much about that cemetery.  (That's our Barnabas - always sensible and cautious!)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 01:19:39 PM »
LOL, I know you weren't actually suggesting this, Lydia, but when you said that Michael Maitland could have been David's friend and been the one possessed by Quentin, I had this bizarre image flash in my head of Miichale dressed in the 1897 suit and David in tn the dress, saying the line "And you can call me 'Beth'" !!!!  [hall2_grin]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 05:19:56 PM »
It would have been nice to see the caretaker again, but it wouldn't have been the original one as DC fired him during the writers strike.

I am surprised they never looked for Beth's grave, no mention was ever made of it at all.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 09:11:39 PM »
But I suppose Roger would pooh-pooh the idea that David was there, even though David was found there last year when he was missing.

Since David was there at one time, I think Roger would at least pooh the idea, but perhaps would not engage in a full-on pooh-pooh.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 12:00:21 PM »
Lots of milestones in this episode. This was the first time we saw the rocking cradle, the first time anyone was possessed by a ghost,  the first time something was taken out of the Old House, and the first time David and Amy played "The Game". In order to save Smileys, the following milestone represents them all: [milestone] These next two deserve their own milestones. The first time we saw Quentin's gramophone. [milestone] And now the biggest milestone for this episode... The first time we heard the evil laugh of Quentin's ghost! [milestone]

Blue certainly was Barnabas' color in this episode! I love the dressing gown and the suit. Indeed, he did look handsome in blue. [hall2_wink] I liked the rapport between Barnabas and Amy. I agree that It's too bad we didn't get to see their relationship when they were both at Windcliff.

David sure was creepy when he told Amy he "liked her very much". I don't blame Amy for being uncomfortable. [hall_shocked] I was surprised that David and Amy took the time to get dressed before they went to the Old House. By the way, I love David's sweater, too. [ghost_cheesy] With all those nights/early mornings that they were up and about "talking" to Quentin and "playing the game", I find it odd that they were never tired.

So David and Amy made up a convincing story about where they were all that time. I wonder if Quentin told them what to say? [ghost_huh]

"HI, QUENTIN!" greets Amy cheerily, leaving chills running up and down the viewer's spine.
Yes, indeed, that was an excellent Friday cliffhanger! One of the best! It really creeped me out when I first saw it.  [hall_shocked]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm sorry to seem disagreeable, but I have to dispute a couple of the claims.  This ep not only doesn't show the first ghost possession on DS, it wasn't the first time we saw David possessed by a ghost--

[spoiler]Josette, says Vicki, we're calling you, Josette, come to us, Josette, come to us, Josette. David begins to moan. David! cries Sam. Leave him alone! orders Vicki--concentrate on Josette. Come to us! calls Vicki, as David continues to moan.

We see a candle flames. David sounds as if he's cold, moaning continually. He's gone into a trance, Vicki tells Sam. Josette, are you in the room, here with us? asks Vicki. I am not Josette, says David--I am David Radcliffe! Are you the son of Laura Murdoch Radcliffe? asks Vicki. Yes, says David. Why have you come here? asks Vicki--what have you come to tell us? Mother. . .Mother, intones David--I am in my mother's arms, in her room, I am happy--I sleep in my mother's arms, I sleep--then, the candle--the curtains blow against the candle and there's fire, fire--oh, my mother holds me!--I do not run, I do not want to run--there will be another fire. When?--where? asks Vicki. In a little house, says David, little, little house. Can you tell us where the house is? asks Vicki. By the sea, says David--a house will burn, someone will die by the fire, flames and smoke!. . .where are you?--I can't see the fire, I can't see!--the fire!--there you are!--take me away with you!--take me away with you!--take my away with you!--fire, fire! He burst into tears, then falls unconscious to the table. ...[/spoiler]

Isn't "the first time something was taken out of the Old House" way too broad to be true at this point?  As one example, how about [spoiler]Jason's body?  [hall2_wink][/spoiler]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
I wonder why the cradle was in the old house?  I haven't watched this storyline since it's original airing so I will have to keep this in mind to see if that is answered or forgotten by the writers as time goes by.  They were certainly lucky to have found Denise Nickerson
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
I'm sorry to seem disagreeable, but I have to dispute a couple of the claims.  This ep not only doesn't show the first ghost possession on DS, it wasn't the first time we saw David possessed by a ghost--

[spoiler] I am not Josette, says David--I am David Radcliffe!

Isn't "the first time something was taken out of the Old House" way too broad to be true at this point?  As one example, how about [spoiler]Jason's body?  [hall2_wink][/spoiler]

Oops! [signerror] Gee, I guess I'm taking the milestones too far! You're right about David's being possessed by a ghost before. I've only watched that episode once, so I forgot.  [hall_embarrassed] I forgot about all those seances, too.  [hall2_embarrassed][spoiler]How could I forget about Jason's body, though?[/spoiler] I did watch that episode more than once! I'm sorry that I was mistaken. [hall2_rolleyes] I'll only mention the obvious milestones from now on.  [hall2_wink]

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2008, 04:06:27 AM »

Very Good, LOL.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 04:14:27 AM »
My comments on this show. How did they get out of the house so fast? Where did they change their cloths? Wouldn't someone have noticed them.

Getting the Cradle in might have been something like putting it through at an angle.

I thought it was good that only Barnabas searched the basement. :)

I was thinking that Barnabas put on his coat on the run or walk through the woods.

(Sorry I didn't realize how close that post was to the end.)
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 01:13:25 AM »
I am surprised they never looked for Beth's grave, no mention was ever made of it at all.

Another loose end never addressed either here or at the end of 1897.  Then again, maybe she didn't have one then.....  ALL the loose ends in that point of the story line dangle like a cats cradle.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 03:00:33 AM »
Wow! David is very creepy. I wonder how Amy and David became brilliant liars. Did Quentin tell them what to say?

There are some holes in this one, such as the cradle getting into that room and changing of clothes. But it's just a plain creepy and scary DS. I can only imagine watching this as a kid and being scared out of my mind.

Too bad we couldn't see the relationship of Barnabas and Amy at Windcliff. [devil2]
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books