Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0643  (Read 3082 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0643
« on: October 01, 2008, 04:01:01 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0643
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 05:23:04 PM »
It was a pleasant surprise to hear Louis Edmonds's voice in the opening voiceover.

Lovely story: two ghosts fighting each other.  We haven't seen either of the ghosts, but there is no doubt that they exist.  I know how the ghostly acts were done - pulling strings is easy! - but I still got a very strong feeling of ghosts being there, and of them being, in a way, more alive than the living people in the house - full of emotion that must come out.  That grandfather clock, crashing down on the floor, startled me.  Maybe Magda the she-ghost's sole intention was only to scare David and Amy, not to hurt them - or maybe she felt that it was so important to stop David and Amy from helping her enemies that she didn't care whether the children were hurt or not.

Poor David: his father never says goodnight to him.  I noticed the other day that when Liz put Amy to bed, she didn't tuck Amy in.

I wish Amy had known that Chris was in the house.

Two kids not getting enough attention.  Well, Quentin will take care of that.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 11:51:48 PM »
IluvBarnabas, you're reviewing #644.  The clock falls in both, but the mirror scene is in the next ep.

(Admin note: IluvBarnabas' post from this topic has been split and merged with "Discuss - Ep #0644", and the posting time has been updated accordingly.)

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »
You're right! I skipped ahead! I skipped an episode...shame on me. [ghost_grin] I guess I got overexcited from the seance of the last episode.

This was the episode following the seance. Carolyn asking Chris why he stopped the seance, her and Roger seeing the book fall. For once Roger didn't scoff at it, but I suspect he did once he thought about it later. I think Roger chooses to live in denial about the strange things that happen at Collinwood.

David said Amy gets scared easily because she's a girl. [ghost_huh] Looks like he's already learned to be a chauvinist. [ghost_embarrassed] I can recall several instances where David himself was scared (though in all fairness he did have good reason). Barnabas, being trapped in the secret room, even from his own mother, etc. As I said, he did have good cause to be frightened of all above.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 04:02:02 AM »
I Think that Chris and Carolyn make a good couple.  They seem really to connect unlike any of Carolyn's former suitors.  David and Amy  work well together also.  I think it's great that David knows the house better than any of the others  that have  lived there longer than he.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
I loved it when the book fell onto the floor by itself!  [hall2_smiley] I enjoy those scenes immensely, when unseen ghosts are causing things to happen. It was exciting to watch David's flashlight fly out of his hand, "someone" pushing  him back, the chair being pushed back against the secret door, and the grandfather clock falling over. [hall2_shocked]  Indeed, I believe the spirit of Magda was fighting against the spirit of Quentin, and Quentin won.  [hall2_wink]

It was great to see Roger looking in on David and being concerned for his welfare.  [ghost_smiley] It was fun to watch Amy hiding behind the door and almost being caught when Roger suddenly came back into the room.  [hall_grin]

It was pretty scary to watch David and Amy's trip to the West Wing. I wouldn't have been courageous enough to go, myself. It was cute when David and Amy held hands. [love3]

I think Chris and Carolyn are a good couple. Too bad Chris's curse prevented them from getting together.  [hall_sad]  I agree that they were [spoiler]such distant cousins that it would have been OK for them to get together.[/spoiler] Chris was understandably upset, thinking the ""curse" pertained to him. I think Quentin may have caused Chris to stop the seance.  [hall2_rolleyes]

----- Sally -----

[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »
As much as I like JF, it's kind of nice to focus on some of the other characters for a change.  This is nothing against Barnabas at all, but I find that I am not missing him during these episodes. 

Is this the first time we see the secret panel in the drawing room that leads to the West Wing?  I loved the chair being moved back into place (by Quentin?) after David and Amy go through the panel.

Looking back, it really seems the writers had their ducks in a row setting this story up.  It's creepy and well structured.  In many ways, much more subtle and layered than Adam/Dream Curse.  It's like after 1795, there was a knee jerk reaction and everyone was like "MONSTER MASH!!!!" but after awhile, deliberately pulled themselves back to build up some genuine creeps.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 04:38:46 PM »
Is this the first time we see the secret panel in the drawing room that leads to the West Wing?

I think the first time was when Roger [spoiler]found Vicki after David locked her in the West Wing.[/spoiler] The effect has vastly improved, because opening the panel back then consisted of a stage hand crouched in the foyer. [lghy]

I loved the chair being moved back into place (by Quentin?) after David and Amy go through the panel.

I assumed it was Quentin, whose powers seem to have an awfully long reach.

BTW, many thanks to you and IluvBarnabas for acknowledging the spoiler aspect of Carolyn's and Chris' relationship.  [hall2_cheesy]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 06:52:48 PM »
As much as I like JF, it's kind of nice to focus on some of the other characters for a change.  This is nothing against Barnabas at all, but I find that I am not missing him during these episodes. 

As much as Barnabas is my favorite character I have to admit I've barely noticed his absence these past few episodes as well. It is a welcome change to see the show shift focus to the other characters on the show.

And you're very much welcome, Midnite. [hall2_cheesy]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 12:21:56 AM »
I think the first time was when Roger [spoiler]found Vicki after David locked her in the West Wing.[/spoiler] The effect has vastly improved, because opening the panel back then consisted of a stage hand crouched in the foyer.

Yeah, but I thought Rogers [spoiler]trek through the west wing in that episode was much better than David and Amy's.  He went through all KINDS of rooms to get to Victoria! And it was beyond Spooky![/spoiler] I guess because I haven't seen these early episodes I am just really struck by how good they are!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 03:32:38 AM »
Carolyn is still feeling the essence of Magda.  I have a dumb question, who was Oscar?

The book effect was great and also the upcomming effects.  Magda trying to stop David and protect him.

The kids are between Magda and Quentin.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 04:22:13 AM »
I have a dumb question, who was Oscar?
I suspect Oscar suffered from DSNCS (Dark Shadows Name Change Syndrome) and is [spoiler]actually Edward, Jamison's father and the most likely person Quentin would write to Jamison about to help him (Quentin).[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 09:50:32 AM »
Nelson, I believe you're right, but in the Dark Shadows universe, [spoiler]maybe Oscar was a name, later abandoned, that Quentin called Edward when he was talking to Jamison - a private joke of some sort to draw Jamison closer to him.[/spoiler]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
[spoiler]Oscar Juggins?  [hall2_grin][/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 09:24:17 PM »
[spoiler]Personally I'm outraged at the 1897 storyline for never showing the origin and significance of Mr. Juggins.   And they say 1840 had a lot of loose ends...![/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor