Author Topic: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #02  (Read 6182 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: Discuss: '91 Series - Ep #02
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 06:03:44 AM »
I think I am cursed.  Okay I typed it out and hit enter and it kept going and going and nothing came up.  I tried to backtrack and it was blank.  I am so beyond pissed at the moment I cannot try and do this again.  I typed forever!  I have a hard time editing myself when I review this or anything I enjoy!   I think I am gonna type it on a software program and then copy and paste it here so I can save it as I go incase something like this happens again.  Does anyone know how to past here, because the regular right click copy and paste doesn't seem to work!  At least I have till Thurs. 

Aggravated!  [ghost_angry]

I will try again tomorrow! 

Taeylor
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 04:10:06 PM »
Quote from: Taeylor Collins
the regular right click copy and paste doesn't seem to work!

Right click was disabled.  But there are other options:
Highlight the text, and in your browser menu click Edit, then select Copy (later, Paste).  They keyboard shortcuts are Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 07:03:43 PM »
Thank you my darling dear! Now to find my browser menu! LOL I  cannot seem to find that!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 07:20:28 PM »
In the toolbar that's (probably) across the top of your screen, the menu is usually uppermost in some browsers and contains words like File, Edit, etc.  If not, the keyboard shortcuts will work if you're running a version of Windows.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »
If you're using [puke] IE 7, it's probably also worth mentioning that, in Microsoft's infinite wisdom (NOT!!  ::)), they've moved the copy/paste links to the "Page" drop down menu that appears on the far right side of the third line, between the print icon and the "Tools" drop down menu.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 08:58:05 PM »
Okay thank you guy and girl, I figured it out with your awesome help.  OT:  MB do you recommend a different browser?   I don't really like this one that much either!

As always, your help is so greatly appreciated!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 09:07:18 PM »
We highly recommend Firefox. Go to Firefox Web Browser to download the installation file. And during installation you can import all your IE bookmarks so you won't lose anything.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2008, 03:48:42 AM »
Dark Shadows
Episode # 2
Original Airdate: Feb. 14 1991

I consider this one of the best openings themes to any show I have EVER seen!   I love it!  I really miss the fact that today's television has chosen many times to omit a theme.  Themes are fun or I am old one?!  Which is it?

As Victoria does her voice over I really enjoy all the establishing shots of Collinwood and its rooms.  I also enjoy a particular part of Victoria's voice over!  “ …But fate has also sent a third uninvited guest, one who has swept through the once quiet village, and come to Widow's Hill where they say cries of sorrow have been heard for centuries.   Tonight they will be heard again, for the third visitor is……death!”   It's not so much the line as the way Joanna Going so brilliantly delivered it.  It sends chills up my spine.  I vividly remember these episodes and I am instantly taken back to being 14! Only 17 years ago!  It's a grand feeling!  There is one of two bloopers I noticed in this episode.  It is possibly due to the fact that it is widescreen when this wasn't the print to use!!  The first one is the last establishing shot of The Great Hall with the fireplace.  To the left of the screen you can see a figure which appears to be Ben Cross in his black outfit which had a black turtleneck that was from the prior ep when he was obtaining furnishings from Elizabeth to adorn The Old House with.  One piece was from Isaac Collins a small line which I loved hearing, hinting at the families past!

I love the close up of the cross which dissolves into the close up of The Black Goddess Barbara Steele.  Great shot!  I especially like the lighting in this scene and I love the chemistry (as comrades) between Michael and Julia.  Stefan and Barbara work well together.  I love when BS cocks her eyebrow!  She is fierce! 

Micheal T. Weiss is on fire hot!!  WHEW I remember at 14 my body being set ablaze and anticipating his shirtless scenes.  Of course I was deeply in the closet then.  Thanks MTW for helping me through those years. ;)   Love your stubble.

Again I have to compliment Robert Cobert and his amazing score.  It keeps me entranced!!  Vampire Barnabas:  I don't like the snarling (Thanks Dan) but I do like the teeth and the contacts. The snarling is campalicious!! LOL He is creepy looking when he isn't snarling like something lunatic!  Okay the second blooper is when Daphne ascends the steps again to the left you can see what appears to be a man jumping out of view; I figure he is running a fog machine or a grip?  I personally think the scene between Barney and Daphne is hot.  I love when he wraps those arms around her waist!  I love the piano on the track during this scene as they find Daphne!  I remember reading Ben Cross saying in an up and coming scene he got quite horny!”  I liked his honesty!  The vampire bite is very sexual and  sexy to me.  I guess I am a trollop!

I saw a rainbow since it was obviously sunny on that production day.  It was pretty.   Great shots and wonderfully directed by Dan Curtis.  I like the shots from behind.  Keep in mind I hadn't seen his previous work so I watched this with a fresh perspective!  It looks like there is a Horatio Collins buried behind the preacher!  Anyone? I love how this scene ends and the next one begins with the cut from the tomb to Julia's fridge.  VERY NICE!  I love this scene with Julia and Woodard.  I love when Julia flicks her pen as she says, well that's going to be a very difficult theory to prove Micheal!”  B Steele is the best and you will hear me praise her often.  Thank you Dan Curtis for pulling her out of retirement!   I think she is perfectly cast.

My favorite shot in this episode and possibly in the whole series is as the camera sweeps past the old pool, with the fog, and the atmosphere, and the urgency!  Lovely cinematography!  Kudos to the production team!  I actually find the scene with Vaphne very creepy.  She looks scary!  I love that she had a makeover with BIG HAIR and a lovely blowy gown!!  ;)  I do have to wonder why Barnabas made Daphne a vamp?  Did he get carried away?  It only seemed like it drew more attention!
I personally thing the lack of emotion in the table  scene is the fact that everyone is in shock.  For a minute imagine this all happening to you and your family in a span of a few weeks.  I think I would be a bit numb.  I think JGL is good and his scene with MTW is sweet. 

The music at the table and the mausoleum was creepsville! WHEW. Chills!!  I love when Joe is bitten.  I love how MTW plays it.  He truly does act like he is in ecstasy.  And sex=ecstasy for most people who enjoy it!  ;)  I have to admit the thought of being bitten by a male vampire (no offense gal) is very erotic to me!

Ely Pouget is wonderful as Maggie.  I love her! I love Maggie’s psychic abilities.  I like the thought of a good force to help balance out the evil forces at Collinwood!  It was also a clever way to take a character and ingratiate her in the people's lives of Collinwood. I love Maggie's studio!  Maggie's headlights are a shiny full steam ahead.  WOW!  It seems a bit racy for ’91, however nothing compared to shows today! “And I'll tell ya something else. This is only the beginning!” Ely Pouget delivers that line wonderful.
Barnabas looks dashing as he comes to Collinwood.  The piece on the table of the man working (?) is really lovely!  It looks familiar for some reason though.  The color red really sets this set off and makes it look so regal.

I love the scene with Elizabeth, Roger, Barnabas and Dr. Julia Hoffman.  They all look good and the scene is lit beautifully!  I have to admit though I agree with Nelson Barnabas doesn't seem very sincere.  He is very guarded that is for sure.   I love the faces Barbara Steele pulls when she sees Barnabas in the mirror or doesn't! ;)  I don't think it's that big a deal about her seeing him in that big ole honking mirror.  Julia just happened to be there in that place and time. 

Everyone else was in shock and speaking with Barnabas!!  I think Elizabeth almost seems CHARMED by Barnabas!  That look when he kisses her hand.  Maybe this is a power that isn't explored, but he possibly has the whole town under his spell?  “But that still leaves one very important question unanswered. Who is the one who did this to her!? Julia snorts back at Barnabas. I love the way BS moves her head and her facial expressions! 

Shirtless MTW!  ::THUD:: I like his perfectly coifed hairy chest.  He is sexy and I think he plays Joe well.  I am glad hair is making a come back! ;) I like manliness!!  LOL Sorry I am sure that was way too much information!  BACK ON POINT: Again the oboe on the track pulls me deeper into the story.  I love the shot of MTW walking toward Daphne and how the light shines upon his abs and then hits his face.  AGAIN the lighting was phenomenal on this show!  You don't see this kind of look on TV anywhere.

Love the circle pan around Julia's laboratory as she concedes “At sunset I shall confront the monster in his liar!” And BS delivers the line perfectly.  I love when Julia jumps when Willie catches her at The Old House.  It reminded me of someone else, but I can't think of who it is!    I  LIVE for the authority Julia commands.  She is going do what she set out to do, by GOD!!  Julia isn't having it. She is over it.  She is in the position of power!  She just keeps traipsing down the steps! Poor Willie!  “Let go of me WILLIE” Julia instructs him with such ferocious grandeur! This was such a highly stylized show and the following shot of Barnabas coffin room shows it.  I love the low shot of Julia stalking her way to the coffin. She must have timed her arrival perfect as he was waking up!  I read that this scene was the one in which BC tested for the role.  I can see why he won it.  He really sold this material and made me feel as if Barnabas was truly tortured by the cross, not only physically but emotionally and mentally!!  I love the fact that Barnabas vampirism was caused by magic but that through that magic it caused a rearranging of his body chemistry and construction.  I think this is what has to be taken into account when you try to figure out embalming and all of that.  It's magic, it doesn't matter what is done to the body as it is reanimated through black magic.  The ending is where I really start to warm up to Barnabas and truly feel he doesn't want to be a vampire!!  Barbara Steele and Ben Cross were fantastic in these scenes and I loved the closing shot of Julia~~~satisfied!! 

B+            Only because of :

1.   Julia's confrontation
2.   MTW hot body
3.   And that wonderful shot of the camera sweeping by the pool!
4.   Julia's discovery!

PS.  I really need to try and edit myself!!

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
Since everyone has made some fantastic observations already, I'll not repeat them.

First off "Deputy Jonathan Harker" never caught that before. *headdesk* Cute.

I love Barbara Steele. She is fantastic as Julia. She's a very strong character, very smart, totally believable.

Re: Professor Woodard - I found the "All right Julia, I'm going to go to my cottage now." Line a bit odd, wouldn't you just say, "I'm heading home?" Unless he's staying somewhere else?

Did Barnabas make Joe fall asleep? That was the impression I got. Can vampires really manipulate people they not only haven't bitten, but who aren't even looking at them at the time? The scene where Daphne walks out into the night I thought was effectively creepy, but the vampire make-out scenes I always found over the top. I tend not to swoon so much as roll my eyes right out of their sockets. The amount of blood splatter on Daphne's body was a bit ridiculous, yes I understand they were ramping up the gore factor, but watching a lot of forensic science shows (the real ones, not CSI) I had to wonder about blood spatter patterns and how they were placed. Arterial spray doesn't account for most of it... uh, but I'll stop nitpicking.

I was watching this last Friday night with a friend, and we both commented on the "Yea, though I walk through the valley....." favorite psalm theme in TV funerals. Apparently that's everyone's favorite. I think I would pick something a little less morbid if I had to. Poor Willie standing there bedraggled in the rain. He knows he's partly responsible, and must feel guilty about it, but it's never played upon in any manner. Different characters need to be on screen I guess. Daphne's poofed out vampire hair is hysterical. I made the same comment about being incredulous that they buried her in that.

I'll agree with others in that I generally enjoyed the pilot episode much more than this one. Much better atmosphere. Looking forward to episode 3!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2008, 04:26:31 PM »
Is this the episode where Julia has her line about the "Professor being a bit dotty"?  That line just makes me sca-REAM!  That and the clenched-jaw enunciation of "I have a great deal of WORK to do" where the word work is pronounced "wuhhkk."  Gotta love Barbara Steele!

I remember a certain show in which a certain very hunky male vampire seemed to have been buried in hospital pajamas.  Later, they switched so he had been buried in a flannel shirt and what I think were work trousers.  Ah, our vampires and their little wardrobe malfunctions!  Maybe the mortician for Daphne decided he wanted her corpse to have a luscious glam-goth look to it.  (I saw a friend of mine at a gathering recently whose specialty is hairdos for corpses--he works at a mortician's).

cheers!  G.

Watching Project 2

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »
And here is the commercial bumper showing a preview for the first act of Ep #3:

[video]
<a href="http://www.dsboards.com/1991/0114_Bumper_3.swf" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.dsboards.com/1991/0114_Bumper_3.swf</a>

(To control the play of the video, right-click on it and use the controls.)
[/video]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 05:12:42 AM »
Hey Gothick.  I am about sure that Barbara Steele[spoiler] goodness is coming up in our next episode and subsequent discussion! :)[/spoiler]

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2010, 11:05:35 PM »
I didn't really understand, while guarding her, why Joe didn't just get in bed and sleep next to Daphne (and I don't mean in an erotic way at all)--surely he then would notice if she moved around or got up, if anything happened to her?  I guess they might have been made uncomfortable by the deputy, but he could have waited outside the door or window instead.  Obviously their arrangement wasn't good because Daphne got away.  

I have to admit I fast-forwarded through much of this episode, as so much of it was verbatim lines/scenes borrowed from DC's past films.  Daphne Collins surely could have been given a better story--but she was just the worst dressed of the bunch and then died in a totally stereotypical way.  But apparently she was very religous from what was said at the funeral?  Maybe they could have incorporated that into her character.   The way vampires are revealed and spoken of here is definitely not evocative, and more suited to an end-game scenario than just the beginning. 

I am grateful that the episode did move beyond the gore of Daphne's death eventually and show Julia's boldness.  
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »
Great to see you ressurecting these threads TB! ;)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2010, 06:22:27 AM »
I didn't really understand, while guarding her, why Joe didn't just get in bed and sleep next to Daphne (and I don't mean in an erotic way at all)--surely he then would notice if she moved around or got up, if anything happened to her?  I guess they might have been made uncomfortable by the deputy, but he could have waited outside the door or window instead.  Obviously their arrangement wasn't good because Daphne got away.
I don't remember this episode (or any episode of this series) clearly, but if Daphne was regarded as being ill, then it might have been considered bad form to get in bed with an invalid.  But you're right, Joe should have done it anyway, though I don't think it would have been effective.  Somehow Daphne would have managed to get to Barnabas, despite whatever obstacles might have been placed in her way.