Author Topic: Honkin' for the B-man  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Honkin' for the B-man
« on: June 14, 2002, 08:49:38 PM »
Luved how Julia just "honked" for B at the Old House. . .shows she still has "some" independence. . .
Julia99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Honkin' for the B-man
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 10:00:53 PM »
Yeah, that was a great scene.  Too bad they didn't show Julia tapping the steering wheel impatiently, a lit Marlboro's clenched between immaculately glossed lips.  I imagine her wearing dark slacks, Cuban-heeled boots and a windbreaker for the drive.  I wish they had let Grayson wear slacks on camera once in awhile.

Gothick

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 03:37:27 AM »
I LOVE THAT SCENE!!!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!

Just thinking about it makes me laugh, often hysterically.  I love that Barnabas sticks his head out the door and acknowledges that he heard Julia honking.  And, like Gothick, I can easily imagine Julia's expression of impatience as she's leaning on the horn.

And just imagine their conversation in the car, with Julia scolding Barnabas for making her wait!

Now I'm recalling the hilarious scene in which Barnabas said that Julia was being 'peevish'...

Regards,

John

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 04:40:42 AM »
JULIA
(honking the horn)
C'mon, Barnabas!  I still have sedatives to pass out at Collinwood!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 08:13:40 AM »
Hi guys!...since we are on the topic of Julia honking the horn at Barnabas(which i thought was quite hilarious)i would like to inquire about the road away from the old house.Where is the road supposed to be that leads away from the old house? ?!?...I assume that it doesn't go from the angle we always see the house, but it would be interesting if they had shown the actual road, or driveway for that matter.-Adra :P
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 04:02:29 PM »
I always wished they showed more of the grounds but it was filmed in a studio in NY They did seem on the
earlier shows to show more of the outside and did film some in Essex Ct does anyone know why they stopped?
was it the expense? That was one of the nice things
about the movies the scenes of the outdoors!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 07:16:43 PM »
I always wished they showed more of the grounds but it was filmed in a studio in NY They did seem on the
earlier shows to show more of the outside and did film some in Essex Ct does anyone know why they stopped?

jennifer

There are those here who know more than i but the original outdoor scenes (roger driving, the Blue Whale, the grounds, etc.) were filmed in b/w. . .why they didn't do some reshoots after going into color, especially when the show became a hit and the few days it would've taken . .hmm, I guess Dan was just being frugal.  ??
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2002, 08:31:48 PM »
There are those here who know more than i but the original outdoor scenes (roger driving, the Blue Whale, the grounds, etc.) were filmed in b/w. . .why they didn't do some reshoots after going into color, especially when the show became a hit and the few days it would've taken . .hmm, I guess Dan was just being frugal.  ??

That's always a safe guess.  ;)  But yes, after the focus of the show shifted, location shoots were dropped from the budget and we mostly see slides of Collinwood instead.

And actually, the location shoots were filmed in color but were used when the show was in B & W.  A few were still used, though, for example the shots of the Evans Cottage and the exterior of the Blue Whale.

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2002, 09:07:01 AM »

Same here Jenn, I always liked the outside scenes too. That's what was good about the DS movies, especially, NODS, they showed quite alot of outdoor scenes in that movie. What a big change it was seeing them doing these scenes outdoors. It felt so weird seeing Willie and Gerard driving when they were having that car chase scene going.  In the show the only outdoor scenes we see now are usually someone knocking at the door, or somebody walking through the woods, which of course is always at night. ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2002, 05:31:41 PM »
Same here Jenn, I always liked the outside scenes too. That's what was good about the DS movies, especially, NODS, they showed quite alot of outdoor scenes in that movie. What a big change it was seeing them doing these scenes outdoors. It felt so weird seeing Willie and Gerard driving when they were having that car chase scene going.  In the show the only outdoor scenes we see now are usually someone knocking at the door, or somebody walking through the woods, which of course is always at night. ;)

The outdoor scenes gave you a better feel for the characters. The enormous Collinwood estate told you that there was BIG money here while Sam's cottage told you that he and Maggie were what Collinsport was really like. Scenes of the Blue Whale with fishing boats nearby, the ocean crashing against the rocks, the train station when Vicki arrived all gave you that isolated New England feel.

I remember that scene, Cassandra.  I thought, "Wow! Willie knows how to drive".  I liked him on the bicycle, too. Once you learn, you never forget!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2002, 02:00:12 AM »

jennifer

Several locations scenes were shot in the spring of 1966 before production on the TV series began in the NY studio. These included scenes of various cast members at Seaview Terrace (Collinwood), the beach, the cliffwalks and at the Black Pearl Restaurant (Blue Whale) in Newport, Rhode Island.

Scenes of the docks, main street, fishing fleet offices, the Griswold Inn (Collinsport Inn) and the Evans cottage were also shot at this time in Essex, CT. All of these location scenes were worked into the first 13 weeks of the series and were mostly exhausted by the time this period was up.

In the second 13 week cycle Dan Curtis introduced the spooky "Old House" and the exterior for this was located in Tarrytown, NY, adjacent to the Lyndhurst Estate (which represented Collinwood in the two DS movies). At this point a less expensive location shoot was done, since Tarrytown isn't too far from the NY studio where the series was shot. These scenes were also exhausted within the 13 week cycle they were intended for. This was also the last time they ventured out for location shots.

My source for this, of course, is the "DS On Location" tape w/Nancy Barrett as tour guide. DS had eventually created a "world of its own" and no longer needed to do costly and time consuming location shooting.

Personally I wish they had continued to do more from time to time. It did in fact lend an extra visual dimension to the series, which was sadly lacking in its later years when we had to make due with cheap looking sets supposed to represent the "woods" or a "graveyard."

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2002, 01:51:31 AM »
I also wish they continued location shooting. It looked nicer that way and the audience got to see the exteriors of some shots. I was watching some of the early Collector's Series volumes from MPI earlier and I really liked the exterior shot..like one of Carolyn getting out of a house (hotel or diner, I forget which) and went to her car and drove off in it. I also watched a later episode from 1970 and for a car scene they only showed a car with a black background for the sky.