Author Topic: Who Is Nicholas Blair?  (Read 3318 times)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Who Is Nicholas Blair?
« on: June 14, 2002, 07:29:12 PM »
He claims to be Cassandra Blair's brother, but that's impossible since we know that "Cassandra" is merely an alias.  Barnabas is sure that Angelique had no brother.  I've always wondered just what this guy's real relation to Angelique was and how and when they ever got together in the first place.  Any thoughts?

ProfStokes

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
Re: Who Is Nicholas Blair?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 09:51:35 PM »
I think she found him at the Keebler Elf Factory making cookies.

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 10:22:16 PM »
Hi Prof.  I always assumed that these two "partners in crime" had  probably either met way down below in Hades, or possibly could have also belonged to a coven together at one time or another.  Perhaps even as far back as Judah's coven. Since we knew she existed way back then, it's quite possible that he did also.

SPOILER..............SPOILER............SPOILER..........SPOILER

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

I always found it strange that durning 1840,  N.B. who I believe was Charles Dawson at the time, was so chummy with Gerard (Judah)  At the same time, he was also in conflict with Angelique/Valerie.  It seems like what ever time period these two were in, there was some connection between the two. And usually, they didn't get along quite well either.

Perhaps when Nickolas was living "down under"  he was allowed to come back for a certain amount of time but as a different character.  One thing is for sure though, just like his sister in crime, all of his characters were evil.  [vryevl]
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 10:54:25 PM »
He claims to be Cassandra Blair's brother, but that's impossible since we know that "Cassandra" is merely an alias.  Barnabas is sure that Angelique had no brother.  I've always wondered just what this guy's real relation to Angelique was and how and when they ever got together in the first place.  Any thoughts?

I think their only connection is that they are both servants of Diabolos.  When Trask decided to perform his exorcism of Cassandra, it's likely that she was able to communicate telepathically to Diabolos that she was in some kind of trouble, and he, in turn, dispatched Nicholas to find out exactly what had happened.  

I'm assuming that Nicholas took a chance that Cassandra had been evasive about her past, and he just made up the "brother" association to get in the door of Collinwood.  He probably calculated minimal risk over whether or not he'd be believed, and figured that if people got too nosy, he'd cover his tracks with hypnosis.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 02:31:16 AM »
I think there's more of a connection there than just the fact that Diabolos might have dispatched Nicholas to save her.  It's no coincidence that she introduced herself to Dr. Lang as "Miss Blair" (and it's always thrilled me that the writers remembered that little detail, because as we've all seen, their attention to continuity detail becomes sketchy at best later on).  But Nicholas mentions a "bargain" between the two of them, and he was the one who sold the portrait of Angelique to the man in the antique shop (I think; suddenly I'm very fuzzy about that particular detail, but I'm sure that Stokes mentions it sometime soon, and Nicholas pretends not to know what he's talking about).  

As far as Nicholas and his prior incarnations -- I used to think that Evan Hanley and Charles Dawson were earlier versions of Nicholas, but I've scrapped that idea.  Dawson, maybe (but I still say no), but definitely not Evan.  Nicholas was always so cool and urbane (even when he was snarling at people), and Evan just ... wasn't.  I believe he's always referred to as "an inept Satanist", and Nicholas is anything but inept.  Though come to think of it, neither of his big schemes came to fruition, did they ...

Nicky
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 03:44:54 AM »

As far as Nicholas and his prior incarnations -- I used to think that Evan Hanley and Charles Dawson were earlier versions of Nicholas, but I've scrapped that idea.  Dawson, maybe (but I still say no), but definitely not Evan.  

Nicky

I've heard many opinions expressed about ancestral connections between them, but that never made sense to me because Nicholas was obviously a supernatural entity and neither Dawson nor Hanley were actual warlocks, just human Satan worshippers.  

Just for the heck of it, though, I asked Humbert awhile back if any connection between his three characters was ever intended, and he thought not.  He remembered very little about his Charles Dawson portrayal because he was rehearsing for a role on Broadway at the time, but he did describe Evan Hanley as "a bumbling wannabe," trying his best to achieve the powers and stature of someone like Nicholas Blair, but always falling short.  :) :)

Cheers,

Linda

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 04:13:16 PM »

I think their only connection is that they are both servants of Diabolos.  When Trask decided to perform his exorcism of Cassandra, it's likely that she was able to communicate telepathically to Diabolos that she was in some kind of trouble, and he, in turn, dispatched Nicholas to find out exactly what had happened.  

I'm assuming that Nicholas took a chance that Cassandra had been evasive about her past, and he just made up the "brother" association to get in the door of Collinwood.  He probably calculated minimal risk over whether or not he'd be believed, and figured that if people got too nosy, he'd cover his tracks with hypnosis.

Cheers,

Linda

this seems right Linda and if you listen to their conversations  i feel there are clues he obviously has theupper hand here and does try to keep her in control at least in the beginning! he was a great addition to the cast!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2002, 11:45:09 PM »
Rumor has it that Nicholas Blair had a stint as publicity manager for Michael Jackson.  That would explain a lotta things.

Gerard

Offline Lindsey

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2002, 05:29:05 AM »
I had always figured Nicholas was one of the members of the original coven back in 1692. It was revealed that Judah was the one who originally made Angelique a witch and I had always thought that Nicholas just called himself a different name at that time. (Dawson)

Nicholas is a very powerful warlock who I believe just likes to pick on Angelique. Angelique, after all, is very inexperienced with spells compared to Nicholas and is pretty incompetant. Most of her spells are practiced spur of the moment, and she usually ends up regretting them or they get her in more trouble. Nicholas was pretty much put in charge of making sure the Dream Curse was carried out (b/c it was the real reason why Angelique was released to begin with).

Nicholas is a great character, one of my favorites. He is just so stylish and he says everything with a double meaning (Ex: the conversation w/ Barnabas, about Martinique). He is 100 times more powerful than Angelique and never lets her forget that.  ;)

-Lindsey

"What is the truth?" 
"That I love you.  No matter how much I fight my feelings, I will always love you."
                          -Barnabas and Angelique 1840

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2002, 01:12:35 AM »
I just like him cuz he talks to inanimate objects!! The ultimate cool! And he the way he says things...and tapping Willie on the shoulder with this umbrella. I could just see him on his walk down to the Old House, twirling it around like a baton or something....hehehehe *giggle* I always thought that he *was* the devil....or that he was originally supposed to be, and then DS started 2 get complaints that the show was demonic or something, so they just made him one of the devil's counterparts....I swear I read that somewhere... hmmmmmmmmm  8)
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2002, 03:57:03 AM »
Nicholas Blair is one of the really interesting characters on the show IMO, like Professor Stokes. He's soo different from some of the others we've seen on the show. I liked how he talked to Angelique's portrait, even though that seemed reallllllly strange. I loved how he entered the Old House. Go Nicholas! He's one of the better parts of this storyline so far, along with Professor Stokes.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2002, 08:18:42 AM »
Go Nicholas! He's one of the better parts of this storyline so far, along with Professor Stokes.

I completely agree with you!  IMNSHO, the professor and Nicholas are the only reasons to sit through the current storyline.

Thank you all for your interesting responses.  You've given me quite a few things to consider.  In a way, the mystery surrounding Blair is part of what makes him so interesting. Still, I think it's fun to speculate.

ProfStokes

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2002, 08:19:05 AM »
The first time I saw these episodes, I thought Nicholas Blair was the devil, not far from the truth really. He is truly evil. He and Angelique are a match made by Diabolos, their master and counselor. Nicholas Blair is one of the most interesting characters on the show. My favorite scenes are those with him and Harry Johnson. Looking forward to that!  :)
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2002, 02:25:57 AM »
I used to think that Evan Hanley and Charles Dawson were earlier versions of Nicholas, but I've scrapped that idea.  Dawson, maybe (but I still say no), but definitely not Evan.  Nicholas was always so cool and urbane (even when he was snarling at people), and Evan just ... wasn't.  I believe he's always referred to as "an inept Satanist", and Nicholas is anything but inept.  Though come to think of it, neither of his big schemes came to fruition, did they ...

Nicky

Actually, there was probably no intention on the writers' parts to have any connection between Dawson, Hanley and Blair, but I've found the idea works pretty well if you follow the progression of events. In 1840, Charles Dawson is an evil lawyer . . . not a big step from there to Satanist!
;)

He is reborn as Evan Hanley in 1897 and at this time he is still a lawyer (coincidence??) but now also a budding Satanist. He dies in 1897 but is reborn again in the 1900's. Is his real name Charles Dawson or Evan Hanley (we know it isn't Nicholas Blair)? By this time his powers have grown beyond those of Angelique's and he is now much stronger than she is.

There is a strong hint of this possibility during the 1897 storyline. Notice that when Evan Hanley and Quentin conjure Angelique back to life the way she regards and treats Evan Hanley. This is the Angelique who traveled from 1796 to 1967, and was then sent back to 1796 by her master. She, unlike Evan, is aware of the 1967 events in the future. She seems to know who Evan is even though he doesn't know who she is, and she takes an instant dislike to Evan even though he's the one who brought her back to life! I think Angelique realizes that Evan is on the verge of becoming a more powerful warlock and resents what he did to her in 1967. She seems to gloat over being his superior in 1897.

As for Evan Hanley not being as suave and as skilled as Nicholas Blair . . . well, you'd change quite a bit in 70 years too! Practice makes perfect, after all!

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2002, 03:24:38 AM »
I think Angelique realizes that Evan is on the verge of becoming a more powerful warlock...

LOL, well if THAT'S true, I'd love to know what lottery he won to come back as Nicholas.  I never credited the devil with magnanimous acts inspired by pity, and Evan Hanley was a screw-up on a par with Bewitched's Aunt Clara.  Of course, perhaps Diabolos decided that if he WERE given the magical talents and suave polish that he so desired, he'd be far less dangerous...Evan reminds me of the guy who is always on the verge of blowing up the chemistry lab. :)

Insofar as Angelique recognizing him, though, I don't think that would have been necesary for her to instantly dislike him.  For someone who could barely get the right end of the candle lit, he was a pompous and egotistical snob, and the patronizing manner in which he treated her at their first meeting would have inspired her animosity no matter what (or who) he looked like.  

Cheers,

Linda