Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0635  (Read 2480 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0635
« on: September 19, 2008, 03:01:12 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0635
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:13:17 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Betsy Durkin's Vicky would ever have trouble sleeping.

So Adam has turned against Carolyn.  I was thinking at the beginning of the episode that he was just having a little-boy tantrum, and I was thinking about how he might have been made less obnoxious to the viewers if he had done some of the more likable little-boy stuff - e.g. "Oh, Nicholas!  You didn't tell me we were having peppermint stick ice cream for dessert tonight!  Cool!  Can I have jimmies on mine?"  But when Adam hurts Carolyn, it's no ordinary tantrum.  Now that Nicholas is gone, Adam's going to be evil on his own.  The torch has been passed.

There was a sweet moment that somehow I had never noticed before in this episode, when Julia sort of hugs Barnabas in response to the news that Adam is gone, and Barnabas actually pats her arm in return!  Yes, indeed, he was powerfully affected by Nicholas's disappearance.

It's sort of weird to see Betsy Durkin's Vicky getting the Experiment treatment - as if an attempt were being made to transfer the life force of Alexandra Moltke's Vicky to her - but since Adam was in control and not Julia, the attempt did not succeed.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 06:16:31 PM »
I find it hard to believe that Betsy Durkin's Vicky would ever have trouble sleeping.

Ow!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »
Vicki's smackdown was pretty impressive, with Rodan seeming to take slow, careful aim and the sound effect being just right.  (Apparently, Adam is aware that an open handed slap from the side will render someone unconscious whereas a closed fist strike to the top of the head will kill.)  And Vicki dropped to the floor like a trooper.  Because Betsy's Vicki seemed to always make a spectacle of her emotions, I minded the scene much, much (much) less than I would have minded seeing him slap Alexandra's Vicki.

I just wrote a whole paragraph about one slap!

But when Adam hurts Carolyn, it's no ordinary tantrum.  Now that Nicholas is gone, Adam's going to be evil on his own.  The torch has been passed.

Great point.  Yet he still manages to show the child-like reaction of squeezing and even smacking his own head in an attempt to stop the inner voices.  (Oh, what Roger Davis could have done with that scene!)

Has it been established that you can get into to the basement so quickly without using the door by the staircase?

It's sort of weird to see Betsy Durkin's Vicky getting the Experiment treatment - as if an attempt were being made to transfer the life force of Alexandra Moltke's Vicky to her -

Ow part 2!

Offline Joy Collins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 11:18:43 PM »
Yet he still manages to show the child-like reaction of squeezing and even smacking his own head in an attempt to stop the inner voices.  (Oh, what Roger Davis could have done with that scene!)
[lghy]

I really liked watching Adam attempt the experiment on his own. How hard can it be?

I love Robert Rodan's Adam voice. I love his real voice, too, from what I saw in the interview on the DVDs. He just seems very well-spoken.

I know many people will be relieved for the Adam storyline to be over, but am I the only one ready to see the end of this Jeff/Peter nonsense?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 12:45:21 AM »
I really liked watching Adam attempt the experiment on his own. How hard can it be?

LOL!   I think when the patient's a smouldering skeleton with a bad wig, it's time to let go!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 01:51:16 AM »
Loved Nancy's voiceover, she really forbods terror her voice.  Unfortunately my tape jumps on this cassette.  AWWW...:)  a nice sweet Barnabas and Julia scene when she says the danger is over and embraces him!   [love3] Julia gave out a SEDATIVE to Maggie. LOL  I wasn't able to start this project from the beginning cause I didn't have all the episodes.  However as I am watching The Beginning and the Introduction of Barnabas I am gonna start numbering the sedatives Julia gives out!  I am sure the amount will be staggering!!  Oh my goodness Adam has crossed the line. I cannot believe he just chocked Carolyn!!?  It is also very noticeable that the storylines are being wrapped up. I love Graysons nuances, the character she adds to her movements by simply walking around the Drawing Room worrying.  I have to say that Grayson looks a bit tired in this ep though.  I guess though it works with what all Julia has went through lately!!  Julia tried to give Adam a sedative.  LOL  She said, "..you will feel much better afterwards!"  She must have a stock pile somewhere.  I am loving all the JULIA SCREAMS we get in these ep!!  Also this ep includes the infamous JF picking his nose moment! 

Great episode all around!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:17:49 PM »
I agree with most of everything that has been said.

I really liked the lighting of the Old House today.The candles were darker, they were not the light blue.

We all must remember that Adam in many ways acts like a child. How many of us get the have a temper tantrum as an adult? Adam should be taken off to a room at Wyndcliff.

Barnabas already knew that killing Adam would make him revert. Nicholas told him that.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 12:11:18 AM »
Barnabas already knew that killing Adam would make him revert. Nicholas told him that.

I didn't think Barnabas knew the exact nature of the connection. Not so long ago, didn't Nicholas tell Julia that if Adam died, Barnabas would die too?

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 10:52:11 AM »
This was the episode when Adam revealed to Barnabas and Julia what Dr. Lang's infamous tape said - the connection between Adam and Barnabas. [milestone] Adam was taunting Barnabas, believing that connection would make Barnabas not want to kill him. But Barnabas' love for Vicki caused him to think about her welfare over his, and Barnabas shot Adam anyway.

That was a sweet moment between Barnabas and Julia, when Julia hugged him and Barnabas patted her on the back. This was the first time that there was such a display of affection between them. [milestone]

This was the infamous "Barnabas nose-picking" episode! LOL! [milestone] I found it kind of silly to watch Barnabas and Julia standing by the door, helpless. But then, a few minutes later, they found a different way into the basement. How did they (and before that, Adam and Vicki) get there without going through the door and down the stairs? [ghost_huh]

Whatever good feelings Carolyn had for Adam were dissipated when Adam displayed so much violence toward her. That was a shame.  [ghost_sad] Again I say that Nicholas corrupted Adam. In the end, Adam didn't even care that Nicholas was gone - that shows just how much Adam felt betrayed by him and grew to hate him. [ghost_mad]

I thought Betsy Durkin did a great job or writhing and moaning during the experiment. [ghost_wink] Oh, I just thought of another milestone! This was the first time Adam tried to conduct the experiment, and the first time that Eve was a skeleton during the experiment. [milestone]

This was an exciting episode! Kudos to all actors! Well done! [clap2]

----- Sally -----
 [hippy2]

----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »
As for the "nose-picking", boy oh boy how Frid's nose must have been itching!  Or maybe a fly got into it.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 03:30:45 PM »
In regards to Betsy Durkin during the basement scene, I thought she only did so-so myself. I still can't help thinking Alexandra would have done a better job.

Yes, I think it's safe to say that Carolyn probably doesn't think too much of Adam anymore. Not only did he smack her best friend's lights out, he also tried to throttle her too! After that incident, Carolyn had to have realized that Adam was indeed responsible for Vicki's earlier kidnapping, and the attempt on her life. So putting these together no doubt killed her good feelings toward him and made her regret ever having helped him in the first place. Which is really a shame, because it was Nicholas who really had such a bad influence on Adam....but Carolyn will never know that.

I loved that sweet moment between Barnabas and Julia when he tells her Nicholas is gone. A far cry from the days when he used to strangle her!

It was very selfless of Barnabas to shoot Adam to save Vicki's life even though he knew that Adam's possible death would have consequences for him.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 03:32:35 PM »
But then, a few minutes later, they found a different way into the basement. How did they (and before that, Adam and Vicki) get there without going through the door and down the stairs? [ghost_huh]

Through the passageway.  I just found it odd that they managed it so fast since I thought you had to enter it from the beach.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 04:14:45 PM »
Too bad Carolyn didn't know Adam was just an infant, or stopped knowing it that is.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 05:35:17 PM »
I just found it odd that they managed it so fast since I thought you had to enter it from the beach.
I decided more time must have passed than was shown, even though that didn't seem to be indicated.