Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0628  (Read 1622 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0628
« on: September 10, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss - Ep #0628
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:11:34 PM »
This is the episode in which Dark Shadows gets right to the heart of things: Diabolos.  It sort of amazes me that the series went on for over two years after that, because after you've seen the Devil in person, what else is there?

And the Devil turns out to be quite a reasonable old gentleman, pointing out that Angelique's complaints of Nicholas's vindictiveness and unreasonableness have no basis in fact.  I laughed out loud when she said "vindictive".  We're talking about the promulgation of evil here, and she expects the Devil to frown on vindictiveness?

But maybe Nicholas had indeed cheated the Devil.  The Devil expected that the Super Race that Nicholas was arranging (I can't say creating, since that was Julia's job) would obey only him - i.e. the Devil.  If the Devil thought that, then clearly he had never met either Adam or Eve.  And yet, considering Eve's origins, he must have been acquainted with her.  I guess the Devil was not such a reasonable old gentleman after all.

Incidentally, what a nerve Angelique has, summoning the Devil!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 03:35:13 AM »
I wonder how mich of the Devil's time is spent patiently ironing out these petty disputes of his underlings.  My idea of the Devil is, if two functionaries start squabbling and ask for mediation, he vaporizes them both on the spot.  Plenty of other fish in the lava....
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 05:51:23 AM »
First of all do you all think that DIABLOS was The Devil or just a devil?  I know the Pom Press books talk about the writers deciding not to make him The Devil but we all know how reliable those are don't we?  [ghost_wacko]  Anyhow...on with it...

I love the incantation that Angelique used to summon Diablos!!  Lara Parker has really gotten the knack for this stuff and sells it!!  I liked the fact that Nicholas wanted to create a super race to worship Satan but I agree that it was executed poorly! I wonder if the writers of Charmed were in fact inspired by this storyline.  One of the The Charmed One's greatest enemies (The Source) was very much like Diablos. IN fact he was the greatest enemy [spoiler]for 4 1/2 years until he was finally vanquished![/spoiler] I think the SET looks like The Underworld looked on Charmed as well with the acception that Charmed had better looking ones. And if you haven't watched Charmed I am boring you to death. SORRY!   I love the screams you hear and the gate that looks as if it leads to "THE PIT" of Hell.   I love the fogginess (on the other sets) due to the fact that the FOG machine was used for Angie's visit to Hell.  I think it actually gives the show a creepier look! 

Dr. Julia tells it like it is.  OH SNAP!! I tell you what Grayson is painted like a Queen today and she looks great.  I always become very enamoured with Vincent Loscalzo's work on the actresses makeup.  He was a great artist!  And I will comment on it often.  I really enjoyed the scene with Julia and her feelings toward Adam. Poor Maggie she is entering into ingenue territory.  Once one sees her early days it becomes quite clear how dumbed down her character became.  Humbert Allen Astredo is truly devilicious!! ;)

See you guys when 630 rolls around.  I am missing a couple eps here and there due to damaged tapes.... [ghost_angry] However, my DVD collection is getting bigger by the month! :) 

BTW..I hope I don't comment too much on production. I have always been fascinated with that side of Television/movies etc.  I will comment on story more as well roll on.  I am actually typing out notes about these shows I made months ago before I became active on the boards.  I am so busy watching DS The Beginning, plus the upcoming '91 WP and various other stuff that I don't have time to watch these eps as well.  I will have to start watching live when we get to episode 700 as I haven't reviewed those yet. 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:55:35 AM »
Oh, I'll take all the production remarks I can get, thanks.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 06:48:27 PM »
I loved watching Angelique tattle on Nicholas to Diabolos. She has finally gotten one over on her former 'brother' and master. [ghost_tongue2]

I felt sorry for Adam now that he believes he can never like anyone again. But then, who could blame him? Eve pretended to love him then admitted later on that she didn't, in fact she LOATHED him. Nicholas assured Adam that Eve would come to love him, but I think Adam knows now, or at least suspects, that Nicholas was also lying to him. No wonder Adam believes he can't like or trust anyone anymore. [ghost_sad]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 04:18:26 AM »
I will pose the question again:  Does anyone think Diablos was The Devil, Satan or just a devil?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:56:54 AM »
In my "1968" thread, when I was seeing all this for the first time since first airing, a year ago(??), I assumed it was THE Devil.  I was corrected, and told it was "Diabolos" in the credits, therefore just a helper devil.   I think they were just equivocating or blurring things a little so religious groups wouldn't get mad.   I think they meant him as Satan, but gave themselves a way out of any criticism if they needed it.   

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2008, 06:50:59 AM »
I loved Angelique's incantation, too. Very big, descriptive words! [winkg] I think Diabolos was a devil, and not the devil - one of the Devil's underlings. [devil] Diabolos sure had an ominously sinister voice! Also, we never saw his face, either, adding to the horror! [shkdg]

I guess Diabolos kept her in "Hell" after this episode, because Angelique the Vampire was never seen again. So Angelique got her revenge on Nicholas, but she failed to convince Diabolos to return her "back to earth" in 1968. Pretty bold and gutsy on Angelique's part to meet with Diabolos - he was one scary dude! [ghost_shocked]

It was heartening to see that Julia cared for Adam and could see right through his lies.  [ghost_smiley] It's a shame that Adam had to get so contemptuous. He was tricked by both Eve and Nicholas. He chose the wrong people to trust, especially Nicholas. [ghost_sad]

I loved the end! [clap] It was so chilling! It was really neat, strange, and rather creepy to hear the voice of Diabolos come out of Maggie's mouth.  I wonder if KLS worried that a fly would fly into her mouth?! [laughing1] The blood red lighting really added an exciting effect!

----- Sally -----
[coolg] [hippy2]
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 10:35:06 PM »
KLS looked great. Is that what she looked like before she got ready for bed. Her clothes dueing this time always looked so good.

Nicholas, is showing how human he is. Look how happy he is to see Maggie. Nicholas is more interested in Maggie than himself.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 12:48:25 AM »
Well, that's because Nick has become protector of the innocent and pure of heart!

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 03:54:51 AM »
I like Nicholas and I hope he does care for Maggie!

What can I say, this was probably the most warp episode I have seen yet. I have only seen #210-628. A few other here and there...so this was just out there for me....AND I LOVED IT.

So much seems to be going on and I am so excited!!
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:33:13 AM »
This was indeed a fantabulous episode! LOVES IT!