Author Topic: What were they thinking?  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: What were they thinking?
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2008, 05:56:07 AM »
 Heck I would take them both preferrably at the same time.   [ghost_shocked]   [ghost_tongue2]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »
QUENTIN can be my "legendary Collins beauty" Oh the things I would do to that [tasty]....Okay I need to shut up. [faint2]

LOL I'm waiting for someone to use that saying and a pic of Q as an avatar!  [BOO]

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2008, 07:16:56 AM »
Perhaps I should, but I dont know how to do all that stuff!  :(  Did that make you laugh?  It is nice to know you can make people smile!   [8_1_209] 

I was very serious though!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 04:38:23 PM »
I actually think the 1795 arc was pretty tightly written (the awfulness that was Peter Bradford aside). It solved a number of problems. It was extremely well acted. It gave the actors a chance to do something different. It is fascinating to me to see how refreshed and energized most of them were. Also--and I think this is key--there seemed to be a game plan on the part of the writers. They had some kind of an outline they were following, compleat with exit strategy. The other arcs lack that. 1897 in particular gets kind of weedy around half way through. There was so much going on and it just got longer and longer. I have always had a sense that the writers were reacting--either to fan response or the directives of Curtis. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's like they weren't as in control as they were in 1795.

As for Josette and the early history of the family, you could go nuts trying to make that all work with what we learn later.
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2008, 04:55:05 PM »
1795 sort of peters out for me.   That's unavoidable when [spoiler]most of the characters have died off, but at least in 1897, the deaths were clustered together right at the very end.   Without an extension of 1897 beyond whatever they'd planned we wouldn't have had Petofi, right? 

Besides, 1795 looks as if it's going to show the horrible story of Barnabas becoming this creature, but then good Barnabas continues through vampirehood all the way up until the "end".  I expected some traumatic showdown where he's entombed by force.   His agreeing to being destroyed seems far more in keeping with what the audience may have wanted of him by then (he had become a popular and sympathetic character) than with what Barnabas was actually supposed to be turning into at that point.   

This makes it all the more disconcerting when we return to 1967/8 and Barnabas proceeds to hover between nice and nasty for what seems like forever, sometimes being "good" too soon and without adequate explanation, sometimes backsliding into nastiness long after the cure and long after becoming this protector of the family.

Anyway, I think 1795 may have suffered from an improvised or changed ending too, and I probably prefer the end to 1897, even with problems.[/spoiler]

[8_1_203]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2008, 05:05:23 PM »
1795 sort of peters out for me.

[lghb] I'm guessing the pun was unintentional.  (Yes, I'm easily entertained.)

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
I honestly think that the writers did a good job in fleshing out Barnabas' story in 1795, regardless of the audiences' feelilngs toward him.

Barnabas HATED being what he was, this was true in present day as well in the past. I remember when he told Dr. Woodard he loathed the person who was doing all the awful things in town. I find it completely believable that he would have preferred to be destroyed rather than go on forever as a blood-sucking creature of the night. Unfortunately [spoiler] Joshua just couldn't bring himself to shoot his son (although I understand why he couldn't do it) and instead had him chained up in the coffin. [/spoiler]

Don't forget that Barnabas was stuck in there for almost two centuries. He didn't expect his father to do what he did to him and I think he was very bitter about that after he was released, I think it goes a long way to explaining, if not condoning, his nastiness once he was free.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 01:50:32 AM »
Perhaps I should, but I dont know how to do all that stuff!  :(

You're confusing me-- I DON'T UNDERSTAND!  [angel4]   Seriously, it looks to me like you already have an avatar pic and a saying up, why couldn't you change it to a Q screen shot with your caption?

And as anyone who has seen my non-graphically fancy websites can attest, I'm the last one to laugh at anyone else's inability to do the whiz bang snazzy stuff.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 08:46:05 AM »
I thought you meant to have it printed on the actual avatar and then I thought "How would that fit" but I just went with it and responded that way.  Yes I could easily change my avatar and write those words under the picture! :)  Sorry to confuse!