Author Topic: What were they thinking?  (Read 5492 times)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: What were they thinking?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 11:44:04 PM »
I love 1795 too, but I do personally think that the story drags a lot in many of the Vicki Winters trial episodes.  The Laura story doesn't slacken or go off on a tangent (apart from one speed bump during that week where it seems as if they're constantly opening Laura's tomb).

Perhaps the fact that Diana was pregnant and would not be available beyond a certain date, plus DC was preoccupied with work on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, kept DC from scuppering the smooth tight flow of this story with his usual sort of "suggestions."

G.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 04:36:03 AM »
I noticed how BIG she looked on her first visit with David. She had a flowery big loose dress on. They must have noticed too because the next day (the same day on DS) she is in a BLACK dress.  We all know what black does for us who have some XTRA weight on us.  [ghost_wink]  700th post for me!! :) YAY!  I get excited too easy don't I?  I am eyeing that GOD position!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »
Just think how different Dark Shadows would have been if Jonathan Frid had been pregnant when he was hired to play Barnabas!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 12:06:42 PM »
ROFLMAO! Lydia I aspire to your GODLY status!!  [ghost_cheesy]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »
In the begining Josette is often refered to as an ancestor, I think David even calls her Great-Grandmother Josette, but I could be imagining that. From the pre-Barnabas episodes it's obviously intended that Josette had a son before she died and that the Collins family were implied to be her direct descendents. So when Vicki thinks she looks like Josette, it's another clue that she is a long-lost Collins. Since the original intention was that Liz was Vicki's mother, that's where the Vicki-Josette resemblance was going at the time.
But with 1795 we see that Josette died childless so that wasn't the case. With that retcon I dismiss it as Vicki's wishful thinking, her desperate need to discover her past connected with her fascination of Josette. If Vicki were more objective she'd wonder why Maggie looked like Josette. As she clearly did, obviously.
I also thought that Josette as a ghost was trying to make up for her past mistreatment of Vicki except ...that hadn't happened yet. Barnabas didn't remember Vicki being in 1795 until after she went back. Time travel on DS can be awful confusing. No reason why Josette couldn' thave just taken a liking to Vicki without a link to the past.
I did like how Josette and Sarah were opposed to Barnabas. I wish Josette's ghost had taken a stronger role in the present, but I guess that would have undercut Barnabas's angsty longing for her if she making more regular appearances.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 10:37:57 PM »
I was going to say that it's implied that there is backstory between Josette and Laura, but this is one of the many threads that never got explored.

The version of Laura's history given in 1897 would imply definitively that Laura and Josette never met, though mysteriously, Angelique knows exactly who Laura is--"one of the legendary Collins beauties."

I kept waiting and waiting for someone to meet Quentin, eye him up and down, and proclaim:  "Ah, Quentin!  one of the legendary Collins beauties!"  Yet, mysteriously, it never happened...

*wink*

Gothique

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 11:19:30 PM »
QUENTIN can be my "legendary Collins beauty" Oh the things I would do to that [tasty]....Okay I need to shut up. [faint2]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 11:30:17 PM »
You may have to take a number, dear--there's a LENGTHY list of people here who would just love to "do" the eligible, rascally Mr. Collins ... !

I think some may have already rewritten that song because they want to do a lot more than just "dance" with the young man.

cheers!  G.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 11:31:53 PM »
I would have liked to have seen a bit more of Josette's ghost....too bad she couldn't have protected Vicki from the clutches of Adam and Nicholas or even [spoiler] from Jeb Hawkes who we're supposed to believe pushed Vicki off of Widows' Hill later on. [/spoiler]

If nothing else, Josette's ghost could have at least appeared to Vicki and apologize for being out to get her in 1795.

I like the theory that Josette's ghost in the first year was trying to make up for misjudging Vicki in the past, but as quentincollins pointed out, that hadn't happened yet.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 01:29:48 AM »
My personal fave eps, besides the ones with Pappa Karlen, are the early black and whites. I often say that I grew up in a black and white world - television and my relationship to the world revolved around Mister Ed, Dennis the Menice, and Ed Sullivan - all viewed in black and white. I love the Bill Malloy story (and am sorry that character didn't continue on), the Laura story, and the Jason/Liz thing. My earliest recollection of DS is when I was eight or nine. coming home to watch the show after school and my mother ironing in her bra because it was too hot out. But anyway, I think the Laura storyline is good, the Jason/Liz thing is good, Willie and Barn are good. So how did these storylines include Josette? I personally think that the writers had an idea in mind, but weren't sure where to go with it. But, but, but, but, but...I think they found their niche when Barnabas came along. DS reminds me of the Epstein Brothers at Warners. They had no clue where Casablanca was going to go, they just went along with the flow. And I think that's where the natural writing and acting talent does its best. My humble viewpoint.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline JS

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »
MagnusTrask alluded to the Burke, Barnabas thing. That reminds me of my favorite Burke Barnabas episode where Burke and Barnabas have that very cold encounter at the Blue Whale. I personally think that Barnabas scored much better than Burke in that encounter. I remember pulling for Barnabas because Burke seemed to have it in for Barnabas, which turned me against Burke.[ghost_smiley]
I doubt that the imagination can be suppressed. If you truly eradicated it in a child, he would grow up to be an eggplant.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 05:23:53 PM »
In the begining Josette is often refered to as an ancestor, I think David even calls her Great-Grandmother Josette, but I could be imagining that. ...

Really enjoyed this, quentincollins, especially the part about Vicki's lack of objectivity in viewing her own ancestry.  And it absolutely wasn't your imagination that David called Josette his great great grandmother back when we were still being told that Jeremiah built Collinwood and the family was descended from him.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 11:20:57 PM »
You may have to take a number, dear--there's a LENGTHY list of people here who would just love to "do" the eligible, rascally Mr. Collins ... !

You guys can go ahead and fight over Quentin.  I'll be quite happy to take Chris and/or Todd Jennings...

Offline bluefielder

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2008, 04:01:03 AM »
Absolutely! [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2008, 04:23:13 AM »
I'll be quite happy to take Chris and/or Todd [sic] Jennings...
That would be an "and" for me...   [ghost_tongue2] [ghost_wink]
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.