Author Topic: Directors for a new series  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Khanada

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
Directors for a new series
« on: June 13, 2002, 08:08:43 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie.  My husband, the cryptkeeper is a new member, too.  

We were discussing the other night who we thought would be ideal to direct for a possible new DS series.  I suggested Kim Manners (of X-Files fame) and Jonathan Frakes.  I'd love to hear what other DS fans have to say!

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: Directors for a new series
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 11:46:00 PM »
A very warm welcome to both of you!  

I wish I could participate in your discussion, but I'm not familiar enough with today's directors to do so.

It's great to have both of you here.

Love, Robin

Offline Daphne

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 12:39:56 AM »
Hi, I'm a newbie.  My husband, the cryptkeeper is a new member, too.  

We were discussing the other night who we thought would be ideal to direct for a possible new DS series.

Welcome 2 the forums!!  ;D  ;D

I have no idea who the current directors are, so I really can't answer your question either.....but welcome!!  8)  ;D
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Miles

• ** Time Traveling Orphan Governess **
  • Full Poster
  • Witch Hunter Robin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 01:22:38 AM »
Welcome to the board  :)

Hmmm, Kim Manners and Johnathan Frakes, eh?  Actually, I think both of them are capable directors, especially in TV.  I stopped watching the X-Files after a couple seasons, but I did catch a couple episodes of Harsh Realm (good show), also directed by Manners.  Frakes directed more than his fair share of eps of Star Trek Nextgen, a show that only got better with time.  I also didn't mind the two trek movies he did, at least not from a director's stand point.  I think hes directing some episodes of the new Twilight Zone series as well, so we'll have to see how that one turns out.

My only concern is the fact that they've both done primarily hardcore sci-fi, which DS really isnt.  I really think if Manners did it, the show would end up looking a lot like the X-Files.  MANTIS, X-Files and Harsh Realm (the last three shows Manners has dirrected) all gave me similar vibes.  I dunno, maybe its just FOX.  I'm not as sure about Frakes.  Havnt seen much of his work lately  :-/
Three hundred and twenty years have passed since the coven sank in the dark...

Offline The Cryptkeeper

• Dark Shadows fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 03:56:12 AM »

Hello DS fans, Khanada, my wife, as stated that we were discussing idea's for director's. But what she also forget to mention is that we were also discussing who can we see in starring roles, if DS came back for a film or series.

Directors, I'm not sure either.*headscratch* Good question though. ;D

Offline scout75

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 05:07:52 AM »
Well, Tim Burton would certainly be an obvious choice--he certainly could capture the vibe for the various timelines, but probably covered the 1795 era already in Sleepy Hollow.

In another forum a few days ago, my seemingly controversial choice for a new Barnabas would be Rupert Everett.  Kevin Spacey would likely be my Roger, Liv Tyler as Victoria, John Cusack as Jeff, etc...

Welcome!
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 05:55:41 AM »
Hello, and welcome!

I'm not well-versed in TV directors, but I have long felt that the way to create a new DS would have been for DC to turn the series over to Chris Carter.  He, in turn, could have written an episode in which Scully and Mulder are sent to Collinsport, Maine to investigate the strange goings-on.  This episode could have served as a pilot for the new DS, introducing the characters, plots, etc.

Of course, this will never happen, now that "The X Files" has been cancelled...

Regards,

John

Offline Bouchard

• Junior Poster
  • Angelique Bouchard is the BEST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 09:03:31 AM »
I say right now, the directors of the original series would not be a choice for me! I would have to say John Carpenter would do the job well!

There's now something in my signature, because I do want something in my signature

~~BrandonBouchard

Offline Khanada

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2002, 05:28:35 PM »
As much as I adore Tim Burton, and love his genius, I could not see him directing DS.  The morbid and freaky factors would go through the roof!  

I agree with Miles 23 that my first choices for directors have been a bit too hard core sci-fi. But when I was thinking of directors, I was thinking of people who could slip into the series with a hand at the sci-fi, strange and soapy.  As well as people who could probably use a little variety to their resume.  

My hubby, the crypytkeeper, thinks I'm nuts when I do my casting for the show.  I'm making a spreadsheet of actors I 'd love to see in a new series.  He keeps bugging me to get a script written.  He's convinced I'd do a great job.  (I love putting him on the spot! :-*)

I can't agree with Chris Carter.  I just can't.  And I don't know why.  Sweetheart, what do you think about John Carpenter?  That's an interesting suggestion.  But I have been thinking of a series, not a movie.  Could he make that transition?

Goddess, the possibilities are endless!

Offline The Cryptkeeper

• Dark Shadows fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2002, 06:45:32 PM »
As much as I adore Tim Burton, and love his genius, I could not see him directing DS.  The morbid and freaky factors would go through the roof! 

I agree with Miles 23 that my first choices for directors have been a bit too hard core sci-fi. But when I was thinking of directors, I was thinking of people who could slip into the series with a hand at the sci-fi, strange and soapy.  As well as people who could probably use a little variety to their resume. 

My hubby, the crypytkeeper, thinks I'm nuts when I do my casting for the show.  I'm making a spreadsheet of actors I 'd love to see in a new series.  He keeps bugging me to get a script written.  He's convinced I'd do a great job.  (I love putting him on the spot! :-*)

I can't agree with Chris Carter.  I just can't.  And I don't know why.  Sweetheart, what do you think about John Carpenter?  That's an interesting suggestion.  But I have been thinking of a series, not a movie.  Could he make that transition?

Goddess, the possibilities are endless!

I think Burton would be a good idea, if it were a time-piece film. Just like Sleepy Hollow was shot. Carpenter to direct a DS film?! Wow what a concept that is, and a good idea too. If it was written well and has some good actors, then hell yeah. I'm sure Capenter could do a mezmerising soundtrack for a DS film, since he composes his own music for just about all his films. And come up with something unique and in the tradition of the original series.

I've also thought of John Badham, who has had experience in both tv and film. Or Barry Sonnenfeld who directed the first two Addams Family films and MIB 1 & 2. Or Russell Mulchay who has experience in film and music videos, or how about Mick Garris, who has directed a few acclaimed Stephen King tv mini-series. Or how about Peter Jackson. There are more....

Offline Khanada

• I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2002, 06:52:28 PM »
Russel Mulchay??  Oh, darling!!  My favorite video director!  You know him from Razorback.  I know him from Rio and Hungry Like the Wolf.  

Anyone out there like Russel for this topic?